Universal Back To Black 180 gram vinyl *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I would not think so. It would sound like a cd on vinyl.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

B to B site says they are analogue. I have a Tapestry (bootleg) of The End which is clearly digital sourced and the B to B sounds much more analogue in comparison. The main failing in the mastering especially the Caravan is they cut at too low a level as you point out. Can't explain the edit but could be tape damage or different production masters used.

http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/vinyl/The_End-Introspection.php

Millington likes this.
  3. Classicrock

I can't say I have bought a B to B that sounds like a CD even if it used digital files. I can't comment on Disraeli Gears (which is not great sounding recording anyway) but have some titles likely from digital that are close in sound quality to known analogue pressings. BTW if these new ones aren't GZ they will be Optimal pressings. I have had been pleased with GZ pressings in general and find they have no more audibly faulty or warped pressings than from other plants. Had some really bad stuff from both Pallas and RTI over the years.

Millington likes this.
  4. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

Interesting. :)

I bought the 4Men With Beards version of L&L (Catalog Nr 4M159) when I first returned to listening to music on vinyl. The SQ beat what I had at the time (i.e., nothing), but I wasn't all that carried away.

Then a few years later I found an Island copy (presumably a reissue, Cat Nr 208-008) that just breathes compared to the 4MWB pressing. I guess the 4MWB was basically a CD pressed onto vinyl.

Richard and Linda Thompson's IWTSTBLT got a 2012 reissue on Island/Universal/Wax Cathedral. Again, I have no other vinyl version of this title to conduct an A/B shootout with, but I like the sound very much indeed.

I'm now wondering if there's going to be any advantage of getting those two titles in addition to what I already have.

5. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I bought Nico's Chelsea on 4 Men With Beards & it sounds limp compared to my Polydor CD I bought the first 2 Funkadelic albums on 4MWB & they groove along very nicely with plenty of bass & seperation. They were not audiophile productions to begin with. I preordered The Best Of Cream on B2B vinyl, but got cold feet after playing my Caravan B2B, sounding like a cd on vinyl. Well thats just my experience. If you want to save money. Put it towards even a 80's reissue(if you cant find a nice orig. copy) of IWTSTBLT. Even 80's copies are analog.

6. Classicrock

4MWB did a very good 'Shoot out The Lights' which sounds better than my Hannibal pressing so they must have had a decent source on that one. They also did decent reissues of the 2 Judee Sill albums - did read they maybe are from needledrops? Their Dusty In Memphis was pretty poor though just better than a CD copy I have - after that the bad reports have steered me away from 4MWB titles. The Wax Cathedral IWTSTBLT sounds pretty good and it is just better than a Blue label Island I have - still it's likely sourced from a hi-res file. I am not keen on 80s reissues in general and spent time getting rid of those I had and replacing with 70s pressings. Generally are thinner and brighter sounding with less bass. BTW the 'Island Life' 80's reissue campaign pressings are vastly inferior sounding to originals and appear to be rather too highly priced now judging by Ebay.

7. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

I had a similar experience with my own copies of SOTL, so I suppose you're probably right about 4MWB having a good source for that title; I found the Hannibal very nice on my rig, and the 4MWB sounds even better (all the more so when I was able to get RT to sign it for me).

I think I'll probably at least get the new B2B IWTSTBLT upon release and compare it to the Wax Cathedral version. If it bests what I already have, I'll revise my general opinion about the B2B series accordingly going forward.

8. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

From the Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due Dept., I should hasten to add that the ca. 2008 B2B reissue of Blind Faith compares favorably with my all-analog late-1970's pressing. So there were SOME early B2B's that didn't sound like $#!^

Macman007 likes this.
  9. From listening to the ones I had/have it's obvious I missed those pressings. I haven't come across a noise-free B2B pressing yet and now stay away from away them entirely. Sold a few as well.

Millington likes this.
  10. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

11. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Am I the only one who has issues with distortion (of the 'piece of paper being torn in half' kind) on Back to Black pressings? I think pretty much every one I've got suffers from it at least once during the course of the record. It shouldn't be my setup as nothing has changed after having my turntable serviced, new cart fitted etc. It's not an inner groove thing either as it seems to affect randomly placed tracks ('One of These Things First' on Bryter Layter was the particular example that finally prompted me to post).

12. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

Sounds like non-fill, i.e., vinyl cooling/hardening before it completely fills the microgrooves on the stamper. Looks like stitching under a strong light and sounds like an abrasive f@rt.

13. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

That (colourful) description sounds about right, I knew there must be some specific term for it! I generally avoid Back to Black stuff for this reason (and after poor initial experiences with regard to their sources) but for stuff like the Drakes there isn't really another affordable option.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It's excellent all around.
    The vinyl is heavy and quiet, the sound is excellent, and the package has been faithfully replicated using heavier cardboard stocks than the original.
    Recommended without reservations.

15. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Thanks! :thumbsup:

16. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Late to the party again - got this (John Lennon - Shaved Fish) from my family last December (2015) for my birthday. Just opened it today and cleaned it with the RCM. As I listen I am assuming this is digitally sourced but overall sounds quite good. Going to listen more intently to see if it is remixes they used or the original mixes. I remember getting my original copy for Christmas 1975 so cool to get a reissue 40 years later :)

Sebastian and rstamberg like this.
  17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have B To B pressings of Steely Dan's "Aja" and Guns n' Roses "Appetite for Destruction", both are excellent with no issues.

I had also purchased Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left". That one had a decent Side A and an unlistenable noisy Side B, I returned it. With that I bought all three European box set pressings if the Drake LPs at good prices. They are top notch editions and the reissues to own IMO.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  18. pez

pez Forum Resident

I quite like it although the bass is definitely meatier. Not as good as the Marley pressings from early 90,s which I do rate very highly.

19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.