ULN-8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bdiament, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Barry,
    Those are some might impressive statements, I find it hard to believe that they fit 8 discrete i/o with preamps and a/d d/a of such a caliber for 6k. It looks like the ultimate integrated unit- the aes i/o and analog send/return routing sounds interesting. The question I had for you was about the physical interface- I see on their site a fader bank device and a separate device for what looks like overall function. Do you know what these are and have you had a chance to use these?

If it is standalone, then it atleast gives the non-mac crowd a chance to use the system.

Thank you.

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper Thread Starter

Hi cybermantis,

As always, I ask that no one take my statements as anything other than a report of my own experience. The reports (mine and others) are definitely hard to believe, to put it mildly and many beta team members were suggesting a considerably higher MSRP, lest folks not take the box "seriously" enough.

I knew I loved it based on the first few seconds of audition. There was no strain or A/B needed to know it is something very special (an understatement). Participating in the blind comparisons the beta team made was an education too. Picking the '8 was not very hard at all and the competition was the best out there, from top audiophile to top pro units in wide use.

The control surfaces you see on the MH site are (I believe) EuCon and Mackie devices. Both can be used with the '8. Several folks on the beta team use them. I have seen them in action but never used either myself.

Windows users can take advantage of the digital and analog inputs and outputs but cannot use the software (where a great deal more of the magic resides). However, those running Windows software on an Intel-based Mac, using something like Parallels, can take full advantage of the hardware and software, while still enjoying their favorite Windows DAWs.

And it can be used as a standalone too (hardware only, without the software of course).

If you can get the chance to hear one, especially connected to a good system, I would encourage this. If you make recordings, bring your favorite mic(s) and hear what this box can do.

There has been much discussion among the beta team members about how folks are simply not going to believe this box can take on racks full of boutique mic pres, converters, processors, the sum of which can cost a lot more than 10 times the price of this box (!)... and win.

I certainly wouldn't believe it without hearing it.
    I've been very fortunate to have been living with it for 3 1/2 years now.
    It has taken on boxes designed by some of my (electrical) engineering heros... and won.

Please don't believe it based on words or on the specs they've recently published (like >90 dB of mic gain with an EIN of -130 dB). Hear it if you get the chance to. I'd be very interested in your experience.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

3. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

This is all very interesting.

I agree with JonP's sentiment that if this unit really is that good it may be the most significant contribution to audio sine the beginning of the digital age.

I haven't had a chance to hear it yet, but the idea that it wipes the floor with units like the revered Pacific Microsonics and Lavry Gold (which is double the price for A/D or D/A only), which can only mean it's effectively like straight wire, is exciting.

Hopefully I'll get to hear it soon, and secretly I'm praying that MH are thinking of making a 2 channel AD/DA unit with this technology. All-in-one boxes tend to not be taken seriously for specialized tasks and 6K for something with these specs really is a steal.

Where's that bouncey smilie? Oh yes :goodie: (hum ho, sorry)

4. bdiament

Hi dartira,

To be clear, my use of "wipes the floor" did not include the Pacific Microsonics. It wouldn't say the ULN-8 does this to the PM (or one or two other excellent units), though to my ears, it does beat it (them). This is saying a lot to me because the PM had been one of the best converters, if not the best converter I'd heard, until I heard the '8.

As to the ULN-8's significance, this is why I've been popping out of my skin for 3 1/2 years, while I was not allowed to divulge anything beyond "I'm using a box I find fabulous but can't name it at this time".

MH do face folks' predisposition against all-in-one boxes or something that doesn't cost a lot more than this does. All I can say is there was a lot of joking going on among the beta members as to what to do with all their now vacant rack space.

If I were to select the most transparent recorder I'd ever heard, along with the most transparent, quietest mic preamps, A-D, D-A, processing, mixer and monitor control, etc. and had any budget I would want, I'd buy this box again. (I know some folks using a stack of these, to get 64 or 96 channels.)

Personally, I do not believe there will be a two-channel version any time soon, if at all. I could be wrong of course.

Best regards,
    Barry

5. dartira

Hi Barry,

Somehow, I don't think so either.
    Still, it can't hurt to have 8 channels of ADDA and mic pre's in case you need them.
    Especially for that price (I'm still scratching my head about the price. If it's that good it will be almost impossible for me not to get it)

6. dartira

BTW, I see it's already causing quite a stir over at Gearslutz.
    Never seen so many ecstatic beta testers...

7. bdiament

Hi dartira,

I've never experienced so much consensus among so many different audio folks as I have with the beta team regarding the ULN-8.

There are some folks who don't think cables make a significant difference and others using little shoebox speakers, yet everyone I've spoken with or heard from is very positive in their response to the '8.

Best regards,
    Barry

8. bdiament

9. dartira

Yeah I saw that picture on Gearslutz. Beautiful. That's just 9U's of rack space for 72 channels of audio... That setup was used for live recordings of CSN&Y, I think it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.