ULN-8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bdiament, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Barry, what ADCs does the ULN-8 have (make, model)?

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper Thread Starter

Hi Metoo,

The chips? As with all the MIOs, they're from AKM but the ULN-8 uses different models than the other two boxes. Don't have the model numbers on hand.

Of course, this doesn't take into account how the chips are implemented, the phase precise analog stages around them, the precision clocking, etc., etc. I'm sure the chips are not unique to the ULN-8 but the implementation sure is.

Earlier in the thread, you asked if the ULN-8 is Mac only. I must correct my response. The software (granted a huge part of it, as this is where the processing power, mixer and recorder are) is Mac only but the hardware, i.e. the box itself, can be interfaced with a PC system via its analog and AES inputs and outputs. In such a case, all control would be via the front panel only.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

3. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

$6000 for a box of this quality (well, reportedly ;)) with 8 mic pre's and 8 channels of A/D/A?
    Wow, not bad. Not bad at all.
    This looks like a very desirable box.

A friend of mine was having trouble getting his head around the 2882 a few years ago, and the people at Metric Halo helped him all the way.
    And though he was in Belgium at the time, they even called him back.

I'd love to do a shootout between the ULN-8 and the Prism Orpheus some time.

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, I had this in my mind when I was writing the question, but still wanted to know the make and model of the ADCs. Interesting to know that they are Asahi Kasei.

Good to know, but I imagine that the control via the front panel would not be as user friendly as a software interface.

Thanks for the info, Barry. :)

5. bdiament

Hi dartira,

It is.

That's just how they are. The service matches the superb quality of their products.

I've heard this, among many others (including Apogee, Lavry, Weiss, Meitner, UA, Cranesong, Lynx, even Pacific Microsonics and several others) in a shootout the beta team conducted.
    The Prism is a very nice unit. The ULN-8 is in a class by itself. All by itself.

Best regards,
    Barry

6. bdiament

Hi Meeto,

Still quite user friendly but as with anything this powerful, there is a learning curve.

Best regards,
    Barry

7. dartira

All by itself? That's really impressive. Seems I really need to check this unit out.
    I'm getting restless here. "Thanks" Barry! :D

8. bdiament

Hi dartira,

Yes, all by itself.

(I forgot to mention Avalon and Grace mic pres in the shootouts.)

All by its lonesome. ;-}
    If you get a chance, listen. And be prepared to smile.

Best regards,
    Barry

9. dartira

I definitely will. Looking forward to it.
    And I'll report back. Thanks Barry!

10. Key

Key New Member

Yeah, I love this feature on my soundcard. I don't think many do this but it's useful as like a standalone mini patch bay as well as a mic pre.

One feature that I think would be awesome for a card that I don't think I've seen would be a digital dsp crossover. I guess some dsp cards have EQ but it would be cool if they had the crossover idea in mind. This way users who don't deal with multi channel could mess around with bi-amping and tri-amping.

11. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

As a current owner of a ULN-2 I am very satisfied what it does for me, although it is a kind of overkill, since I only use as a DAC, playing back my mac base music.
    I would love to buy the ULN-8, however I don't need 99% of its capabilities.

The thing that would be really interesting for me is to upgrade the ULN-2 to 192 capability. A couple of days ago I mailed MH regarding this, unfortunately they haven't replied to my mail yet. Probably they are busy assembling the ULN-8.:)

12. bdiament

Hi Key,

The ULN-8 is not exactly a soundcard. They're both designed to pass audio but any resemblance of course, ends right there. ;-}

And it can most definitely do some pretty sophisticated crossovers.
    It can do 7.1, RIAA, transient control and more. I haven't hit its limits yet.

Best regards,
    Barry

13. bdiament

Hi klonk,

The ULN-2, as you know, makes a superb DAC.
    There was a question just the other day on the public Metric Halo list about 192 in the ULN-2. I believe it came from another SH forum member, who also has a ULN-2.

You might want to post your question there too. I know the list is read by and responded to by the the designer himself.

I also know the MH folks have been extremely busy with this new release.

Best regards,
    Barry

14. Shakey

Shakey New Member

That was me who posed the question at the MIO forum. I also sent off a question direct to MHLabs.
    I don't think we're alone regarding the 192 question and the ULN-2.
    I am perfectly happy with 96, but ...

15. bdiament

Hi Shakey,

I recognized your name (just didn't think it my place to say who it was).

Despite the similarity in nomenclature (i.e. ULN-2 and ULN-8), the '8 is not simply an 8-channel version of the ULN-2. It is a completely different animal: different analog stages, mic preamps, clocking, etc.

Adding 192 to the ULN-2 involves more than simply dropping a different chip into the box. At this point, I know MH is concentrating on getting the '8 out the door as this is a big move.

I don't know if there will be a ULN-2 at 192. I can say that I'd rather have a ULN-2 at 96 (or 44.1) than many highly touted converters I've heard at 192. The ULN-2 has better clocking than many of them and a silky smooth, naturalness to its sound that I've only heard from a few units, all of which are considerably more expensive.

Best regards,
    Barry

16. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I understand and respect that, Barry.

I, too, realize that 192 capability may not be in the cards for the ULN-2 or the 2882.
    Not only would I expect different chips, but a way to illustrate it on the face plate could get expensive. I suppose they could indicate 192 via the 96 light (flashing or different color) but I wouldn't expect it could be implemented by only a change in the chip(s). And how many are in these two, a lot in the case of the 2882.

I would rather capture at 96 or lower sampling rates, depending on what is my target rate and not do any SRC. As has been discussed, seldom can SRC be done without some audio consequence.

I just played one of my older needle drops yesterday, a 24/96 aiff file via my MacBook and ULN-2, it sounds very, very good. I don't know if I will notice the difference between 24/96 rips with the ULN-2 and my previous box, or if I can even compare them at this point.

For now I am more than content with the ULN-2. And if an upgrade is in the works, I may not want to give mine up for the time it might take to turn it around.

17. bdiament

Hi Shakey,

Understood.

One thing regarding SRC: On the Mac, Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor comes with Izotope's 64-bit SRC (and MBIT+ dither). This is the most transparent SRC (and dither) I've heard by a good margin.
    If you need either SRC or dither/noise shaping, even with an unlimited budget, these are what I'd recommend.

You can take a 24/96 recording down to 16/44 and preserve more of the high res version's qualities than I've heard with any other SRC or dither.

Wave Editor sells for $79 and outside of the $1800 soundBlade, it is the most transparent editor/mastering app I've heard on the Mac. Matt, the developer, is also as responsive to users as Metric Halo is. Both are exemplars of customer service.

Just an FYI.

Best regards,
    Barry

18. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Thank you Barry and Shakey for your replies. Barry, do you know whether the ULN-8 has the same PSU as the ULN-2. The reason why I am asking is, that I am not using a stock PSU, but Paul Hynes PSU.

19. bdiament

Hi klonk,

Are you referring to the external power supply?
    If so, it is different (and larger). The ULN-8 needs a bit more power and I'm not sure (and don't believe) you could use the same supply suitable for the ULN-2.

Emphasis on "I'm not sure. ;-}
    Metric Halo can provide specifics.

Best regards,
    Barry

20. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I need to purchase the Wave Editor soon. Before I start using the SRC I need to figure out how to take the two files generated by the MIO Recorder and join them as one two channel file. Audiofile Engineering's staff told me it can be done with their Wave Editor but I didn't get to that before the trial period ran out. So, I'll probably do that in the next day or so.

And regarding klonk's question about the PS, and your answer, I have seen some discussion on the MIO Forum about the power requirements of the ULN-8 are a bit different than the ULN-2. There is a range that the ULN-8 needs and it's a bit higher than the ULN-2, but it's not so different that klonk's PS might work.

But as you have said, Barry, best to check with MH.

21. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Again thanks for your replies. I will inquire with MH.

Shakey, I also have the Wave Editior and I am trying too to figure out the two channel stereo thing.

22. Shakey

Shakey New Member

When they explained how to do it, it sounded simple.
    Like most everything, once I actually do it, I'll discover just how simple it is.

23. Key

Key New Member

Not familiar with your particlular destructive editor. But in most all you do is make a new blank stereo file and then copy and paste the two mono files onto the stereo file.

And yeah Barry I was just using the word "card" generically. There is no card to my interface either.

24. bdiament

25. Key

Key New Member

The blank file was for the stereo end result. Anyway just stabbing in the dark here.

And the RIAA I have always wondered about onboard approaches. Do you know if it is analog, digital, or hybrid? Just because in theory I don't know if I would want the signal digitized before you bring the bass up. I would think in theory the best way would be to do the bass de-emphasis in the analog domain and then do the high de-emphasis in the digital or maybe just keep it all analog. Yes I am thinking too much about low level digital again haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.