U2 Joshua Tree- MFSL disc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Iamthewalrus, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Thanks. I only know that mine sounded horrible. I don't recall if I had the US pressing or Japanese.

2. cantona7

cantona7 Forum Resident

Maybe you should just sell them to me. Seriously.

3. hal9000

hal9000 Forum Resident

one of my favorite mfsl discs. sounds incredible.

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of the better Mofi's :)

5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I always felt that I was the only one who thought this! I have been saying forever that the original WG pressing of "Unforgettable Fire" sounds terrific. I didn't buy the MFSL CD when it came out, even though I'm a U2 fanatic. I didn't believe it would top the WG version.

FWIW, this WG version is likely very rare. I've never seen another copy other than the one I own. Plenty of Japanese pressings, but never another WG pressing.

6. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Would this be catalog number 610 194-222? Matrix reads Sonopress 610 194 B. Island label but "Distributed by the Ariola Group Of Companies"?

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't think I would sell them, maybe trade for another MFSL or DCC.
    (e-mail if you have some to trade). Played them again, they do sound good.
    -- Sorry for getting off thread.

8. This makes me chuckle only in that I have never heard a MoFi that sounded anything like the stock copy. I suspect the Lennon remixed gold cd's aren't far different from the stock versions - as they use modern digital remixes (in fact I have not bought any "new" MoFi's in some time). I've been told that the stock dennis Drake mastered 'Layla' is the one to have, but I bought the MoFi first, and it blew me away so I never searched for the other. Certainly the MoFi XTC releases trounce the stock copies, as does their 'Catch A Fire'.

9. Chris Schoen

I like the 20th Ann. Edition Remix of Layla. The MoFi I was disappointed with.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What?

The MFSL and Drake of Layla sound really close.

11. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Nope. Mine is catalog number 822 898-2 CID102 and the matrix number is 822 898-2 01 * □ and the CD says MADE IN W. GERMANY BY POLYGRAM. The disc is solid aluminum to the center. It's in an old "Patent Pending", smooth-sided jewel case. Funny story: I bought this in a video rental shop in downtown Concord, MA in 1985. For some reason, the owner of this store, which rented a lot of laser discs, decided that this "new technology" was worth selling. :)

12. fathom

fathom Senior Member

The day MFSL announced they were closing their operations, I went to Best Buy to look for any collectible gold CDs that might be there. I bought 2 copies of Joshua Tree, and 5 years later sold the unopened one for $250 on eBay. Not bad, considering my starting price was $60.

It's one of the rarer MFSL discs. They didn't press that many of them.

13. Without doubt the reference version of Joshua Tree. Island has made no attempt over the years to remaster this album. The MFSL version sells for as much as $250 (maybe more) on ebay and the like.

14. Chris Schoen

Is there a market place for selling premium c.d.s here? I would be interested
    in trades, more interesting.

15. prognosticator

prognosticator New Member

Before people make themselves crazy searching, I bought an original West German Unforgettable Fire in Germany the day it was released, in a fabulous shop in Nurnberg. I purchased the MFSL when it came out and ditched the WG on the used market. The MFSL is the winner. Sometimes rarity creates mythology unrelated to reality.

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There certainly is. I've spent a goodly sum in the last couple of months and have bought some terrific first pressings. Done some trades too.

17. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

There were rumors, a few months ago, about a forthcoming 20th anniversary Deluxe Edition with a bonus CD and other remasters (from "Boy" to "Rattle and Hum"). I could also read an article about these re-issues on an Italian magazine, Buscadero, and on www.u2place.com. Those news haven't been confirmed yet.

18. magick28

magick28 New Member

This is a great sounding cd it usally goes for well over $100 used and much more sealed luckly i found it for much less recently.I have a non mfsl cd of this that i bought yrs ago and noticed it has disc made in germany on the back dont know if all copies have that or not or if this is in anyway different sounding then the others ,any input would be great thanks.

19. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Long, long, LONG overdue.

20. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I got this disc in late 1998 or 1999, just before the original Mofi went kaput. I think I ordered it new (around $45 I think) but it came used without the J Card. Doesn't matter. I haven't played this in a while. From what I remember, the opening track is a stunner, one of Mofi's better remastering jobs,

21. isamu

isamu New Member

Hello. I am looking for a copy of the Joshua Tree MFSL disc. Hopefully I find it soon.

Anyway has anyone heard anything about possible remasters of their catalog coming out this spring/summer? October is in DESPERATE need of a remaster! I also want Rattle and Hum remastered badly!

22. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

It truly is amazing sounding. :righton:

23. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

It's a tough one to fork out the money for, but I haven't ever regretted that one.

24. Chris Schoen

Yeah, I came close to selling, even trading it. But listened to it again, and
    it is a very good sounding c.d.. I bought it new for $20.00 - best money I
    ever spent on music!

25. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I think Barry Diament mastered the original October. Be careful what you wish for ;) It should be okay:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.