Two November releases from ERIC Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom Daly, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Daly

Tom Daly Forum Resident Thread Starter

We got a dub of a 1/2" 3-track reel from UMG. The reel was only recorded on track 3, though, so the recording is mono.

2. Tom Daly

It's wide, like any true stereo Sly & the Family Stone hit, as Sly produced his sister's records.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

First time on CD from tape I suspect...glad you got it.

Bob :)

4. Tom Daly

A "stage tape" is when session recordings are "bounced" from one 2, 3 or 4-track machine to tracks on another tape, so more overdubs can be added, so the recording is actually produced in stages. Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" was created using stage tapes, as Gold Star Studios had no multitrack tape machines. Cameo-Parkway hits were mostly done using stage tapes as Rec-O-Arts only had full-track (mono) machines. Some Bobby Rydell and Chubby Checker albums were recorded elsewhere, as they were done in true stereo, but most C-P hits had the backing tracks on one full-track tape and it was played back so the vocals could be dubbed to another full-track tape to create the "master."

Making recordings in stages was the way cheaper studios did things until they could afford to retro-fit the control rooms with multitrack recorders and multi-output mixing consoles. Many of the cheaper joints that were doing stereo used mono broadcast consoles, with the program channel fed to one input on a 2-track machine and the audition channel fed to the other!

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Oh, it does, Drake's right up there with the best...Bob and I are referring to mix differences, not sonics per se. The mono mix is simply a tougher, better one. Great record, deserved to be a bigger hit than it was....

:ed:

6. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Thanks, Tom!

Now my Little Sister "singles on CD" is complete. The B-side of "Somebody's Watching You" was "Stanga," which finally appeared on the CD Funk Drops, a UK compilation from 2002.

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Sounds like 2 great CD's. Thanks Tom! :)

8. Tom Daly

The "Peter Rabbit" Story

While there WAS a 3-track master tape in the UMG vault, and the tape was only recorded on one track, an original red-label IGL single (45-103) was found in the box with the 1/2" tape. This led us to believe that the 1/2" tape was dubbed from the single. A "stereo" master was also located in the UMG vault, however it turned out to be electronic stereo that could not be successfully combined back to mono. The last "tape" UMG located was the 1/2" 3-track, with the single in the box. I'm sorry to have to reveal that the "grunge" that's always been heard in the song is the fault of the IGL single from which the 1/2" tape and subsequently the Smash 45 were mastered.

Arf-Arf Records issued a DJ & the Runaways CD. When they compiled the collection, the only selection for which they could not find an original source tape (multitrack, mixdown, etc.) was "Peter Rabbit."

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

So, are you going to try a new 45 dub?

10. Tom Daly

We thought of doing so, but the only disc we'd have had at our disposal would have been the one in the 1/2" tape box, other than a Smash pressing made from the same disc. We ended up using the tape source of the original disc dub and cleaning that up a bit. We didn't find out about the 1/2" tape being a disc dub until a few days before the master had to be at the pressing plant. On the day this was discovered, I spent time comparing the various sources we'd accumulated with the one that was already selected and determined the previously selected "master" was the best source we had.

Several bigger hits than this are unknown to exist on original tape sources: "It Might as Well Rain Until September" (Carole King), "Hanky Panky" (The Shondells), and "Duke of Earl" (Gene Chandler, stereo mix). These songs have appeared on CD from the best-known sources, all disc dubs, and have never sounded better. I suspect we'll have to accept the same will be true with "Peter Rabbit."

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Nice little record...oh well, what can ya do!

:ed:

12. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Hi Tom,

Sure wish I had known of this problem earlier. In fact, there are probably many on this forum and elsewhere who could help track down lost masters IF they knew someone was looking for them! As for Peter Rabbit, you might ask my old friend Peter McLane, one of Iowa's legendary radio guys, where the band members and manager might be. I haven't heard from Peter in 24 years, but this was his email in 2002: [email protected]. Peter's station, KIOA, did concerts and other promotional activities with the group and may know their whereabouts. Maybe they still have the master and have no idea anyone is looking for it?

If not, here's the studio where the 1966 song was cut: IGL

According to this, the master was likely sent to Wakefield in Phoenix for pressing singles. One can guess that Wakefield made a dub and forwarded it to Smash and that's what you wound up with. The master may still be in Phoenix, though the company may not be around anymore.

GM

13. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I'm definitely getting that Dick Bartley disc. Great track listing!!

14. Tom Daly

Well, the two November releases from ERIC are shipping! On the BSN site, they've received favorable reviews from customers. I'm curious get some feedback on them from customers here.

15. Tom Daly

Hmm. Nobody here has evaluated either of the two new ERIC releases? Jeez!

16. Bob Lovely

Tom,

I have yet to find them here locally. As soon as they appear, I plan on picking them up...

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I have the SWEET SOUL SOUNDS disc on order. Won't be in until after the Thanksgiving holiday, though.

18. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

I also have the "Sweet Soul Sounds" CD on order from Cheap CDs.com. Should be here today or tomorrow.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Understand that this forum has been obsessed with the beatles of late, especially with Ted Jensen joining up.

I looked for them at retail but couldn't find them. I'll get them eventually.

I did read the reaction on the BSN site, and the only cosistient thing I read was that everything was very clean.

Anthing with soul sides is going to be part of my collection!

20. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Tom, none of the stores here in Hawaii have them yet! :realmad:

21. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

You would know that J&R has had all oldies on sale for the past 2 weeks, but hasn't stocked these new titles yet! They're on my shopping list. I do believe I have every one of Eric's other "hard to find" comps--even the instrumental volumes. :righton:

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Eric releases typically don't show up at retail for weeks after their release. Most guys on the BSN board pre-order theirs.

23. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Picked up a copy of the new Dick Bartley CD today. Excellent!!! Great stereo sounds throughout. I'm glad to finally have a copy of "(You're My)Soul & Inspiration" with the instrumental intro after looking for it for many years. Also nice to have "Fire" on CD again after I sold the full length album I had on CD. I didn't realize it wouldn't remain in print for long. I had never heard "Peter Rabbit" before today, pretty cool song! One question about "Bend Me, Shape Me". Is that the actual recorded speed of the track, or was it sped up when it was remixed to match the mono 45? After hearing the other stereo version of the song for so long, I'm still not used to hearing it that fast. "Whiter Shade Of Pale" sounds really good in stereo too. Ditto for "Love Is All Around", I love hearing the wooden block coming out of the left channel! The strings though are just a touch too loud for my taste compared to the mono mix. This comp gets my thumbs up!!! Another fine job by all who were involved with putting this one together. I couldn't find the "Sweet Soul Sounds" comp today. I'll have to go looking for that again tomorrow.

24. Bob Lovely

Jeff,

I believe Tom Daly sped it up to match the 45...and, I do not even have the disc yet.

25. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Got both of the discs and listened to them tonight. Both are great. The Soul disc is a Killer! Great work Tom, and thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.