Tubular Bells 2003: COPY PROTECTED

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kipper15, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bought a copy of Mike's Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2003 CD today...got it home and then, after taking it out of the store bag, noticed the Copy Protected message on the rear of the jewel case.

I didn't notice it at the time, I was in a hurry today and it was amongst some other discs and DVD's I'd picked up in the store so I didn't notice the Copy Protected bulls**t on the case.

This sucks

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

As it's still in the shrink-wrap I may even take it back. Don't know if discs from outside Europe will have this or not. My copy states that it is made in Germany.

The industry is biting the hand that feeds by doing this.

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Bring it back!

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up!

I will never EVER buy a cd with copy protection.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard that some discs over on your side of the pond are starting to get copy protected. I only know of 2 or 3 over here in the US that are copy protected as of now. One is the 2nd volume of the Fast & Furious soundtrack.

5. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Why don't you just play it and enjoy it?

6. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hi,

I've got a couple of "copy protected" discs.... The new Blur, for example. If you do a scandisk with Nero CD Speed, it reports that approx. 68% of the sectors are damaged!

I assume that your CD player is correcting these errors on playback.

If I rip it (there are always ways around these things), I get around 500 reported errors per track.

Not quite sure that's how Philips envisaged it all those years ago.

You pays your money!

Regards,

Nobby.

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Uhh.. I don't know if this is right (posting this in here, I mean), but I remember reading recently -in fact, I must've read it right here- that [some] copy protection schemes could be thwarted by something as simple as a felt-tip pen applied in the right area(s) of the disc.

As for specifics, you'll have to search the net, I'm afraid. IIRC it was something about the disc having a second 'corrupted' table-of-contents which PC readers were redirected to, or something to that effect..

These guys 've left the Red Book standard behind years ago... :sigh:

8. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Hmmm... There's a copy protection notice on almost every new popular release that I see on the stand these days. Sarah Brightman, Ben Harper, most dance collections etc... I must have seen dozens of them in recent months.

I don't care because I'm not going to play them on my computer anyway. The thing that ticks me off is bull**** like on the new Ben Harper CD. It's in a nice mini-LP style digi-pak. They went out of their way to not spoil the cover art by putting the title on a clear sticker on the shrink wrap. However, there is a copy protection logo printed right in the lower left corner of the front cover. Argh!!!! :realmad: EEDIOTS!!!

Here's another example of copy protection spoiling a CD... A friend of mine in England just finished doing a re-issue project for EMI. It has copious bonus material and the total time of the material is 78 minutes. He was then informed by EMI that he had to remove a track to make it no more than 75 minutes. When asked why, he was told that they needed the extra space to put the copy protection data on the disc!!!
    :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: He was alrady no fan of copy protection because he hates the way they take up all that space on the back cover of the CD with the printed garbage about it. Now he hates it even more. :hurl:

Chris

9. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Well, Because it's a 'non redbook product and most likely sound like trash. Most protected CD's do.

Don't buy 'big titles' from Europe. There are far more protected CD's manufactured for the European market.
    But, I will say that it's encouraging your CD has been labelled copy protected. At least now you know you have a non-redbook product and can take it back. This is the right way forward from the industry.. if people know, they will take them back and demand a refund.
    The worst thing is having a non redbook product and not knowing it .. argghhhh ... count yourself lucky and take that sucker back, telling the store it won't play in your car CD player.
    I think there are many protected CD's out there. They manufacture them in small doses to 'test' on unlucky consumers. Disgraceful.
    If any of my CD's do not have the compact disc trademark on them, they go back. I think Sony\Phillips won this case that all non redbook\protected CD's do not conform to standards and as such will not be labelled such.

10. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a US CD by Lisa Loeb that says "Compact Disc Data Storage" on the back. If you don;t look carefully you think it says "Compact Disc Digital Audio" as all CDs used to.

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I like to listen to music in my car stereo. I also like to burn copies of all my discs. I listen to the burned copy when I travel, and keep the original at home.

Copy protection is sneaky, personally I don't think the music on a disc should be altered.

12. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I can understand wanting to take copies of CDs in your car since many people have discs stolen from their cars. That way you would still have the original at home. But, I don't understand making copies of "all" your discs. What is the reason for this? :confused:

Cheers,
    Chris

13. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is exactly why I am annoyed about this - although I couldn't ever copy ALL of my discs...would take years to do! I really enjoy playing stuff in the car but never take original CDs in case they get damaged or stolen...only CDR copies. I have been a music buyer for the last 25 years of my 34 years on this planet and have always bought 'legit' product...it now seems the industry is penalising me for the not-so-legit activities of others (such as those who run file-swapping sites on the Internet) and I can't make a digital copy of this CD for my own private use to play in the car. IT SUCKS :realmad:

14. sgraham

sgraham New Member

And you can't make compilations CDs of stuff you've bought and paid for.

It just stinks. It helps no one. Pirates can *always* get around it.

We hates it!

15. chris w.

chris w. New Member

If you have a Mac or PC with Toast software you could extract the tracks individually and then recompile them (deleting the pauses between tracks) before burning your own CD. Copy Protected? Schmopy Protected!

16. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

A month or so back I bought a copy of Rosanne cash's new album. It had a "copy controlled" sticker on it.

I was on my way to a friends house so, as soon as I arrived, we stuck it in his G4 Mac. It would play fine and we could duplicate it easily using Toast. Taking the duplicate upstairs, it played flawlessly in his new Toshiba DVD player (which he uses for a CD player as well).

While upstairs, I talked to his son. The son put the copy controlled CD into his XP box. Windows media Player immediately started converting the tracks to mp3 format. He too could copy the disc.

However, he couldn't play the disc in his computer. The disc refused to play unless he installed a program that would play a very low res version already on the disc. Although he didn't want this program installed, the disc installed it over his objections.

Coming home, I popped the disc into my iBook. Two CD images appeared on my desktop. One appeared to be the software for playing low res versions; the second appeared to have just the music files. I'm pretty sure I could copy this disc without any of the copy protected portions coming along for the ride.

My conclusions; the copy controlled discs don't work! They will not stop copying of the disc, but can get in the way of legitimately playing the disc.

All copying was for educational purposes only - I buy my music.

17. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Did people use to complain about vinyl because they couldn't cut their own acetates at home ?

All the best - Andrew

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The European copies of Ziggy Stardust - the Motion Picture soundtrack - 30th anniversary -are marked as Copy Controlled. The US copies aren't.

19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

While we're on this topic, does anyone know what the HDCD Tubular Bells sounds like in comparison with the 25th deluxe anniversary edition? I managed to pick up a copy of the latter at JB Hifi in Melbourne and it sounds OK to me.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

On my HDCD player, the HDCD Tubular Bells was clearly superior to the 25th anniversary edition.

I like the SACD version best, though.

21. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

What Gary said :agree: :thumbsup:

All the best - Andrew

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Andrew said:

Obviously, the reason people couldn't (and cannot) copy vinyl to vinyl was (is) because it wasn't (isn't) practical. It's not as though we once could copy vinyl to vinyl and then the record labels got together and encoded LPs in such a way to prevent it, thereby violating the specifications of the format.

If you wanted to make a copy of an LP in the old days, you copied to cassette. The cassette, of course, is a dead format now.

Record labels have taken the CD, incorporated a copy protection scheme, and now made it something other than a CD. Boycott!

Anyone in Europe who has copy-protected CDs should dump them and investigate whether the US counterparts are copy-protected. Chances are, they are not. Order the US versions through amazon.com or any number of other US sites.

23. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I can't see a young teenager waiting in line for the newest release of Tubular Bells in order to burn 30 copies for his friends. If the record companies were serious they would have it on Eminem and Avril lavagne cds.

Even if they did that, it seems that young people are, and will continue to be one step ahead of the record companies.

24. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I think you may have a point!

Nobby.

25. Sergio Ruz

Sergio Ruz Senior Member

AFAIK, EMI Records is, thus far, the only major label conglomerate that's committed to copy protect their new releases worldwide, so you may want to take it into account when considering a CD for purchase.

They do feature the copy protected logo on the cover and a short notice on the back, but unfortunately, in a very small type that can be easily obscured by a sticker, for instance, so buyer beware!

According to several reports, they use the Cactus copy protection scheme, which installs a special software on a computer enabling playback of low quality audio. Older versions of this scheme could easily be defeated by the magic marker trick, but I don't know if new versions can be bypassed that easily, I've seen a good number of EMI protected discs here, and haven't bought any of them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.