Traffic fans.... "Mr. Fantasy" vs "Heaven Is In Your Mind"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

You'll like it, its a great album. I just picked this up myself! So far, all of the remasters (the U.S. ones), I've picked up, I liked a lot!

2. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Steve was right about Smiling Phases. Got it today and it sounds Miles better than the Island single CD best of.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks for the recommendation. I noticed A & B sound had Smiling Phases for $19.99 Canadian - great deal so I am scooping up this baby at that price!

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

SMiling Phases is available at bmg, if you use the current 50% off w no s/h, you can have it for $14.99

5. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I have been playing the 1991 Smiling Phases set for two days now and I can't get over how good Dear Mr Fantasy and other tracks sound. I thought they were remixed when I first heard them it was so clear, but they're the original mixes. Must be from the masters or a closer gen tape than the other CDs I've heard

6. daviddaniel

daviddaniel Forum Resident

I just bought the first 3 UK Island Remasters today and what a bring down, compared to my old "Smiling Phases" 2 CD BOX which I thought was just an an old cheap compilation!!

I should have read this thread BEFORE doing my shopping. All I know is that my little s/h shop had the US remaster of the 4th studio CD "Low sparks..."

I'm going back for it tomorrow!

Regards Dan

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

With today's post, I'm seeing everything else on this resurrected thread for the first time.

In case there's anyone else like me, two quick thoughts:

1) Without regard to any audiophile issues whatsoever, the Heaven Is in Your Mind U.S. track configuration is miles ahead of that of the UK Mr. Fantasy. I know it's "what you heard first," but by any objective measure, the U.S. version is superior. This has always been one of my favorite albums, and I pined for years for a CD issue of the U.S. version before finally getting my wish.

2) In case you should ever run across one of the high-end reissues of Mr. Fantasy (and I don't remember exactly which label it was) from several years ago, beware...there's at least one instance of one of these showing the U.S. track selection and order on the cover, when in fact what you get on the CD is the standard UK order. I found this out the hard way!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.