Top Ten Awesomely bad movies from the 80's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Curtis, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

For me, I will list some that others enjoyed, but I found unwatchable:

Cocktail
    Dirty Dancing
    Dune
    Fame
    Flash Gordon
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Karate Kid
    Nine to Five
    Tootsie
    Tron
    Urban Cowboy

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Cocktail is a guilty pleasure but Tootsie was one of the better comedies of the 80's. I can still remember laughing in a theater in Roslyn NY with my date.

3. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

the Garbage Pail Kids movie is not even awesomely bad, it's just bad...

4. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Breakin' 2 is a GREAT movie. :crazy:

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Beat me to it! :)

6. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

This is great. I remember this one to be really funny but haven't seen it since it's initial run on the movie channels back when it came out. It probably wont live up to how I remembered it like most movies don't but I do want to see it again. I recall it had a pretty decent guitar/riff based song in it that we all thought was cool back in the day.

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

97% of women will not concur with that. Become a fly on the wall and go to a beauty parlor for an hour sometime. Then you'll get it, maybe? Surely you can do better than that nomination...?

Furthermore, any film with Shirley McClain is worth the time of day. ....'an Daryl Hannah doin' the attack of the fifty-foot hairdresser, with thick glasses, holy Christo, batman!

8. Rachael Bee

My nomination for worst film of the 8-ease is The Return Of The Jedi. First of all, the title is all wrong. It should'a been Return Of The Teddies! The coked up cast sent us postcards from the edge of the known universe.

Then, little Georgie gave us Ducks from outer space....Howard The Duck. What a quacker!

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Every movie mentioned so far is an out-and-out masterpiece compared to the ultimate dreck of all time:

Sleepaway Camp

10. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Wouldn't it be easier to list the 10 good movies from the '80s?

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've never forgiven Amadeus for so boring my date that I never got a second (nor myself, for not being perceptive enough to say, lets blow this joint and go to the Baskin' Robbins across the street).

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Anyone remeber American Voyer, aka Getting It On? It was a coming of age teen flick bowdlerized down to a PG rating (I think) that was actually filmed in my neighborhood in Hickory, NC the year before I moved their. It's interesting to watch for me for that reason only.

13. I remember The Stuff. It was one of those movies my brothers watched 10 times every Saturday.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I liked the House movies, particularly House II. I'd file that into intentionally bad comedy-horror.

15. Rachael Bee

Yeah, but it'd be about 10% as fun.

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

What's wrong with you.:wave: :)

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

finally! thanks...April 1st can't come soon enough!

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what a missed opportunity! The original 1962 Card set was so misrepresented in this failure of a movie! PURE GARBAGE! Tim Burton really screwd the fans of the original card set...this set is the holy grail of non sport card collecting and he made a laughing stock out of it!

19. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Enjoyed the the first, loved the third. However, I will be watching the second very soon as my 9 year-old son is watching the series for the first time. I'll let ya know. :winkgrin:

20. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

In a list that defined "worst" as relating to pretension (that is, a film has to actually be aiming above being a "bad movie" to qualify), I've seen Tron cited as a "worst." It's flawed all right, but at least Tron was trying to do something different. I give a lot of credit for that. Worse, IMH, would be something entirely banal.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Have to agree with Cole. Tron is a good movie.

22. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Good post Cole. As stated, I tried to list films that others may have actually enjoyed that I found utterly unwatchable. On the other hand, trying to do something different may be admirable, but still if it is not very good then it is not very good, and in this specific case only my opinion. Take spray on hair for example. Different, but not good:winkgrin:

[​IMG]

23. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Killer Klowns From Outer Space??

:eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'd have to go with Ringo Starr's Caveman... First time I saw Shelly Long and Dennis Quaid.... Barbaba Bach wasn't too bad on the eyes....

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I completely agree!

To be truly awful, a bad movie has to think it's good. Nothing in these films indicates that anyone involved in the production of either these pandering exercises took them for anything less than serious filmmaking on the level of THE GODFATHER or CITIZEN KANE.

Lots of bad movies have inane plots, bad haircuts, wasted talent and wooden acting. A truly bad movie has to overreach, too, contradict itself. The cognitive dissonance has to announce itself to everyone except the people responsible for the film.

In ROAD HOUSE it's the bizarre Way Of The Peaceful Bouncer enunciated by the main character, basically a guy who beats up drunks. He's like the Otto character in A FISH CALLED WANDA, only we're supposed to think he's cool.

In RED DAWN it's the filmmakers' combination of paranoia and patriotism that results in a guerilla band of All-American teenagers doing battle with a force of Soviet-armed Central Americans that have occupied the country all the way down to the Rocky Mountain township level. I mean, you have to imagine yourself down one preposterous, conspiratorial rabbit hole to turn the US into some sort of underdog in the War for North America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.