Tony’s “Amazing Led Zeppelin Experiment”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Caldwell, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member

You are in for a treat with III, I like that one better than the first two.

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

There is a progression, IMO. Things get better and more sophisticated as you go from the early stuff through Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti, and even beyond depending on which era of the band is your favorite. Stay with it! :)

3. Well the lyrics of The Lemon Song were stolen from Killing Floor which was stolen from several early blues tunes with the same "slaughterhouse" type lyrics, which themselves were stolen from something that came before...which kind of reminds me, are there any original blues songs in existence? I've been reading some blues history lately and it's amazing that practically all blues singers borrowed so much from earlier artists. Even Robert Johnson took much of his phrasing and lyrics from earlier artists.

But to the post, I happen to love The Lemon Song, but it always pisses me off they just didn't call it Killing Floor which it clearly is...although early copies of the UK pressing actually title it Killing Floor.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Thats how I got into the "real blues" actually. When I kept hearing phrases
    again and again in rock songs that were taken from blues songs, I checked
    out music by Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters, and
    realised where all this was coming from. A great discovery.

5. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Lemon Song: Try listening again but only to JPJ. His bass playing on this is superb during the breakdown. One of my favorite Zep songs just for JPJ alone. But there's also the great gong intro, some cool guitar bits, and a great Robert Plant vocal. Love it!

Heartbreaker: I will never understand why people don't like the guitar solo. It rips.

Whole Lotta Love: I LOVE that 1 minute into the first song we are off into space. Shows just how much balls Zeppelin had. And try it on headphones...

Glad to see you like it though! Look forward to hearing about III!

:righton:

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Well that's your problem. Your not even 40:D . I've always said growing up with a group from there first ablum is different then trying to find them after the fact. Like the Beatles, if you were there from the start it's just different, imo of course. BTW, your reviews of the first 2 is just about how i feel about them.

7. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I was gonna post just to say exactly what ZappaSG has expressed above!

It's also good to see Bring It On Home getting some praise, it's one of the best in the album and it gets overlooked all too often!

8. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

If you have time, or feel like it, could you start another thread on this subject?

9. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

I would say "laughable" only in retrospect; the early Stones were certainly not laughable then.

I agree with you about the "unofficial" stuff. Some of it's as great as rock music ever got. But then Mick T went away . . . .

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

There are probably folks here more knowledgeable about "unofficial" Stones
    stuff, much of which is considered "bootleg" (and we are not supposed to
    discuss that on this forum). I don't understand why they have not released
    "12X5" (the Stones documenatry) on dvd yet.

11. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Good review, Tony - thanks.

I'm one of those people who really likes the weird part of Whole Lotta Love. I find it an interesting soundscape, and just musical enough to make me remember it's part of a song. But it sets up the guitar perfectly to come crashing back in. It's a bit like the reason we need dynamic range - the contrasts are absolutely necessary.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's my opinion of it too!:thumbsup:

13. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

I'll admit I go through periods with Zeppelin where I'm like: "wow they're the best band ever" and then I have times where I'm the exact opposite: "ug, Zeppelin."
    I still can't stand "Stairway to Heaven" it is just far too overplayed.
    That said...

I haven't listened to Zeppelin since they reunited late last year and then the last time I listened to them was probably a year or two earlier if not longer. It's always a long time between my listenings to them. I do know that every time I hear anything post-LZIV I get mostly bored, save for a few songs, "Physical Graffiti" is just one big, giant let down for me, its one of their most critically hailed albums and I just can't see why for some reason. Zeppelin I and II are my two personal favorites, I had a guy that I used to work with that loved Zeppelin, especially Bonham's drumming (so it was surprising to me that I heard someone say they liked Page but not care too much for Bonham, with guitar players, at least most that I know, it's the opposite, they can't stand Page for the most part but love Bonham). Anyway. This guy was a huge fan of "Living Loving Maid" and kept on me to buy Zeppelin II at least just for that song alone, I had never listened to Zeppelin before in my entire 14 years (I'm now 25) and I was blown away, not so much for that song, I still can't really stand it, but the rest of the album just blew me away. "Bring It On Home" is one of my favorite rhythm sections ever, and I actually love Page's guitar work on the song. In fact the last three songs on that album are probably the best three songs in the entire Zeppelin catalog, "Ramble On", "Moby Dick" (watch this on on any one of the live DVD's, Bonzo is inhuman), and "Bring It On Home", three excellent, solid songs.

LZIII has its moments but was a disappointment after hearing LZII. and IV is well it's a classic, apart from "Stairway" which causes me to change the radio station or hit the next button or whatever, it's a great album, "When the Levee Breaks" is in the top 5 songs that feature John Bonham.

My love for John Bonham aside, Zeppelin is a hit or miss band, I can understand about Plant's voice, Page's guitar work, but Jonsey and Bonham are always tight, always groovin' and never let you down.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Always thought III was the weakest of the first 5

15. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member Thread Starter

I will listen to "Lemon" with headphones and pay more attention to JPJ.

Maybe the solo to Heartbreaker will grow on me when I go back and listen in the future...

I love Hawkwind, so maybe the middle bit of Whole Lotta Love will click with me someday, too.

Thanks for your comments.

16. Tony Caldwell

That is very true, I think the way they go back into the song is terrific. The drumming is perfect. Not overdone or too fast. Just perfect!

17. Tony Caldwell

I hope not. I am looking forward to hearing it soon, and doubt that I will like it less than the first album.

18. Tony Caldwell

OK, it's almost year later and I am finally moved into our new house. The Cubs have broken my heart again, but the Steelers offered me some relief by winning the Super Bowl. The stereo is set up, and if I can get enough boxes out of the way, I will listen to LZIII tonight. I have heard it in my car twice while driving, so all I have to do is sit back and enjoy (and keep my notebook handy for comments).

I can't wait to get back on track with this "project".

19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

III is where Zep becomes a studio band. You're through the first two blooze albums, now sit back and enjoy some of the studio magic Page and JP brought to the band. The next 4 albums were brilliant imo. I compare LZ III to Rubber Soul, the beginning of a fabulous arc of studio recordings.

:righton:

20. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

21. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

Great to see you picked this back up Tony! You are in for a treat.

I just played LZII RL vinyl with my new Koetsu Urushi cart last night...and yes, it is even more amazing sounding now that I can hear even further into the recording. CRANKED...Killer all the way thru. :edthumbs:

Enjoy LZIII :wave:

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Led Zeppelin with a Koetsu Urushi...how decadent.

23. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

Decadence is now my middle name. :winkgrin:

And after the way all 35 albums I've played since Tuesday sound, I wish I had been decadent lots earlier. :love:

The RL LZII IS that good, really!!!!

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No, no, decadence is good! It's in the spirit of Led Zeppelin!

25. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Just noticed this thread & I'm interested to see your take on LZIII. It's a bit different than their first two, with a more acoustic feel. I kind of think of it as LZ's "Rubber Soul" in that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.