'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Rudy Van Gelder never ceases to amaze me. I'm not even done with Side A of A Night at the Village Vanguard, but my jaw already has dropped on the floor a couple of times. It might be recency bias, but right now I'm having one hell of a great time – probably the best Tone Poet experience yet. Might have something to do with the excitement and anticipation waiting for this 3LP masterpiece.

We're only talking about three instruments here, but they all sound so insanely clear. Even the clapping from the audience is making me smile. The red wine I bought is also great!

This is GREAT!

EDIT: When Wilbur Ware's solo on Softly as in a Morning Sunrise starts, you crank up the volume even louder and when Sonny and Elvin joins in again, your soul will also start clapping.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that the crew behind the Tone Poet series also never cease to amaze me. Thanks for creating such a f***ing amazing product time after time.

2. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

wow I have several versions including originals and the recording is basically awful. Dont tell me I have to buy another version :whistle:

AnalogJ and kt66brooklyn like this.
  3. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Well... if you like the music but not the recording, you will have to buy it, because when you listen you will love the music and love the recording.

kt66brooklyn and MarMan like this.
  4. jazzsurfer

Apple Music has it streaming in Atmos. IT is indeed better anything previously released by a wide margin based on the stream at least.

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’m a Cassandra fan. I should have bought Glamoured……some great covers on it (Fragile, Dylan, If Loving You is Wrong etc.).

AnalogJ and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. I don’t get people complaining a glitch here and there for a fleeting moment.

4oneFiva, Swann36, Bradd and 7 others like this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anyone complain about that "glitch"

GabrielJazz and this_machine like this.
  8. Distortion talk

9. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I think when people bring up distortion they're talking about it because on their setup it may not be "fleeting" but persisting

GabrielJazz and Mazzy like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

At the time of the fire, Universal did not own Blue Note. No Blue Note masters were stored on that lot.

wellers73, kt66brooklyn, JoFr and 2 others like this.
  11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am guessing that most of the Sonny conversation is regarding the Lps. I posted another thread. Is there a discernible sound upgrade on the CD release vs the previous RVG remastered set?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. jazzsurfer

wouldn't cost much to find out Amazon.com

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And the HD download is even easier:cool:

kt66brooklyn and chris8519 like this.
  14. Amanita muscaria

Amanita muscaria Forum Resident

The rollins set is now eligible for the 30% off discount code at uDiscover Music using the code UMG30.

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My copy is out for delivery but my jaw already dropped by the way you describe it here. Awesome post and just might have to send my wife and dog upstairs a bit earlier tonight as I will not want to be desturbed as I listen. She is welcome to stay though since I'm a nice guy,

Stopped by my local store today and made sure I had the May and June Tone Poets preordered. I'll go there next Thursday and pick up Total Eclipse (which I like as much as Happenings) and Byrd's Eye View.

mktracy and Dmann201 like this.
  16. Dreadatthecontrols

Dreadatthecontrols Forum Resident

I'm resisting the urge to comment...

chris8519, Dai, zither and 2 others like this.
  17. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Ordered, thanks! I wasn't digging the older version I had found on Qobuz too much but they uploaded the new remaster today and that (and your code, lol) sealed the deal.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Benny_profane

Benny_profane Well-Known Member

Fellow UK collectors might be interested to know HMV has a 50% off sale at the moment. Includes some TPs like Carmell Jones (£22.49) and Schizophrenia (£27.49) with free postage.

Swann36 and Dhreview16 like this.
  19. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Thanks, but **** HMV and their profiteering markups.

MonkeyTennis and Kimiimacman like this.
  20. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

So many sales right now. My strategy of only buying what’s on sale is backfiring!

mktracy and bjlefebvre like this.
  21. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Ha. I know the feeling. "I'll wait until the Amazon price discount" is fast becoming "I'll just buy it now for 15-20% off."

chris8519, GabrielJazz and NettleBed like this.
  22. Winston Niles Rumfoord

Winston Niles Rumfoord Well-Known Member

And Amazon seem to be price matching what HMV are up to with vouchers.

Swann36 likes this.
  23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

>$20 for BNC and >$28 for TP and Verve Acoustic Sounds is my trigger. Whoever is giving that to me gets the $ (and it’s usually Amazon, but today it was Udiscover) and no reason at all to pay more than that for these, since they all get offered at these prices at some point.

GabrielJazz likes this.
  24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's funny now that every once and a while i'll notice those "EMI" logos on the MMJ spines and realize how much has changed under Universal...

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, my understanding is that Music Matters had a tough time getting a license from Universal to keep going.

kt66brooklyn and this_machine like this.