Tommy:SACD or DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack Keck, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You may be talking about two different things. 75khz was a cutoff frequency and 96khz is the sampling frequency of DVDA.

Many do but you can defeat this on the better Sonys like my SCD-777ES for instance.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I've defeated it too on my SCD-777ES and it does improve things.... :)

3. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I agree with this. The 96kHz sampling frequency means that the DVD-A can reproduce frequencies up to 48kHz. On the SACD it sounds like they just removed everything above 75kHz for the SACD, which means that it still has more high frequencies intact.

Of course, if something with the SACD filtering screwed with the midrange and the DVD-A sounds better, then the frequency range doesn't much matter. ;)

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It's amazing. Out of the smoldering ashes of the HiRez bonfire, the embers barely glowing, and now mostly just smoldering, giving us a lonely "crackle" as a rare decent "pop" disc escapes (BIA), rears the ugly resiliant head of the never say die creature known as the SACD vs DVD-A debate.

Goin' down with the ship! Good grief.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Jon,

For us classical and jazz fans, the bonfire is burning with a ferocious intensity. I can barely afford all the discs I want. Maybe a dozen great releases come out every month.

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I've only messed with the Samsung once but didn't come away with a good impression. And it became even worse when the following happened: I was playing the 6.1 DTS-ES track on my Crystal Method dvd-a to see how that extra channel affected the mix, and when I tried to use the |<< button, the dang player wouldn't allow me to go backwards through the track order! I had to stop the music, pull up the disc's on-screen track menu and select the track manually. Very irritating and convinced me this player was rushed to market too soon.

According to what I've read here several times, most microphones don't make it past 20kHz, much less 48 or 75kHz. And what about the analog recorder they used way back then?

7. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.