Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes [Deluxe] - Vinyl/Blu-ray/2CD 11/09*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Marry a Carrot may be right - not had time to look at this in depth myself this evening - but theseconddisc.com thinks that the Something Else IS a previously released version....
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes: Deluxe Edition (Geffen/UMe B0014739-02, 2010)

Disc 1: Original LP (originally released as Backstreet Records/MCA 5015, 1979)

1. Refugee
    2. Here Comes My Girl
    3. Even the Losers
    4. Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid)
    5. Century City
    6. Don’t Do Me Like That
    7. You Tell Me
    8. What Are You Doin’ in My Life?
    9. Louisiana Rain

Disc 2: Bonus material

1. Nowhere *
    2. Surrender (Early Version) *
    3. Casa Dega (B-side to “Don’t Do Me Like That” – MCA 41138, 1979)
    4. It’s Raining Again (B-side to “Refugee” – MCA 41169, 1980)
    5. Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid) (Live @ the Hammersmith Odeon, London – 3/61980) *
    6. Don’t Do Me Like That (Live @ the Hammersmith Odeon, London – 3/6/1980) *
    7. Something Else (Live @ the Hammersmith Odeon, London – 1980) (B-side to U.K. double 7″ of “Don’t Do Me Like That” – MCA 596, 1979)
    8. Casa Dega (Demo) *
    9. Refugee (Alternate Rhythm Track) *

* denotes previously unreleased track. Tracks 3-4 and 7 also released on Playback box set (MCA, 1996). Track 2 re-recorded and released on Anthology: Through the Years (MCA, 2000).

2. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

You know what would be cool? A Southern Accents "directors cut", as TP originally wanted it (kind of like Guided By Voices did with Bee Thousand, although in that case Bob Pollard did choose the original configuration.)

Probably no chance but would be neat.

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I like theseconddisc.com, but this wouldn't be the first time they went overboard in trying to guess the details of a future release. (For instance, they were incorrect in assuming that the bonus disc in the John Lennon Signature Box would be largely drawn from the John Lennon Anthology.)

It doesn't inspire much confidence that they say a performance from 1980 was released in 1979.

4. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

There might be a slim chance. We were told by co-producer Ryan Ulyate that Tom wants to do definitive versions of all the albums on Blu-ray and that sales of Mojo and now DTT would determine whether he can keep going.

5. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

That case might be helped considerably were it in fact possible to pre order the DTT Blu-ray from Amazon Uk, who don't seem to know of its' existence.

6. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I few weeks ago I was able to preorder this from Amazon UK (for GBP 5 no less - what a bargain!!) and then all of a sudden the listing disappeared.

Unsurprisingly I today received an email from Amazon saying that the release has been cancelled. I fully expect that it will be relisted shortly at a much higher price. :shake:

7. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Is there a region code issue with the release?

8. Mr Wensleydale

To be honest, I've no idea. The mail stated that Amazon had been informed by their supplier that the release had been cancelled. No explanation as to why. Nevertheless I think it is still showing on Amazon US so this may be a US only release.

The 2-disc deluxe is still showing on Amazon UK with the revised release date of 8 November.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Got a mailout from the Tom Petty camp today that said US release is November 9, UK/Europe release is November 15...text below comes from the e-mail:

10. Mr Wensleydale

Thanks for that - seems to confirm that the Blu ray will be available in Europe. I bet it will be on Amazon UK soon enough, but not at GBP 5 as before :rolleyes:

11. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Acoustic Sounds had the LP version available for pre-order for $49.95.

12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I was just about to post that (minus the "crooks" part, but, um, yeah...)

14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

OUCH! :eek:

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

They employ Steve, so I'd be careful what you say...

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I just pre-oredered the Blu Ray from amazon.com, I am looking forward to it. The mix and mastering of the Blu Ray 5.1 of Mojo sounded fine, I hope that they do this title in the same vain.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Nothing I haven't sent directly to them via e-mail.

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Nice! Looks awesome, glad to see all the bonus tracks are on the Blu-ray as well in high resolution. Beauty!!

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just reminding you of the rules, Gorts swoop down, well...

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:edthumbs:

22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Having thoroughly read the rules upon signing up I don't see any rules having been violated (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/faq.php?faq=shtv_forumpolicies) and I'm sure the Gorts will take care of it quite capably if they feel there are.

23. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Hope Wildflowers or Hard Promises are next in line for the Blu ray treatment!

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I would love to see Wildflowers get this treatment. I imagine one day it will. If and when it does, it would be great to get all those tracks that did not make the album. That, for me, includes the material that got put onto She's the One. Since they pretty much don't even talk about that album in the RDAD documentary (they seem to dismiss it altogether). Plus there's all those good b-sides from that album. They could easily make an awesome double disc package on cd format and one cool Blu-Ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.