Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes [Deluxe] - Vinyl/Blu-ray/2CD 11/09*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't think any of their other albums jump out at you quite like Damn the Torpedoes. I'd really like to hear this, but I'm still into two-track stereo (my budget is at least). Maybe Wildflowers is about the only other album I could see them doing this with, unless Blu-Ray does become the standard media.

2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes. The orchestration on Wildflowers in 5.1 would be beautiful, as well as a song like "House in the Woods", with its layers of multiple six string guitars, pedal steel and horn section!

3. LoveandTheft

LoveandTheft Forum Resident

I was informed that the ORG (ORGM-1001) will be the deluxe version with 2LPs (9 extra tracks) - 180g/pressed at Pallas/Furnace MFG
    Remastered by Bernie Grundman.
    I couldn't find a listing online but was sent some information from an indie store.

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Interesting. My original UK vinyl sounds decent but a bit thin and bright. I have liked Bernie's work recently so will be in for this.

Tom

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

any idea how the new bd-audio discs will be packaged in general? anything to set them aside from the movie cases?

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Mojo BD was in a card digipak style sleeve about the same dimensions (bar depth) as a normal blu-ray case.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Deluxe edition up for pre-order on itunes with previews of the tracks. Just reinforced my sense of disappointment with this "deluxe" edition. The blu-ray version will hopefully make it more worthwhile.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So Amazon previously pulled down the listing for the Blu-ray set, after I pre-ordered. I can't remember the specific description, but now the listing is back up and indicates Blu-ray Audio w/ Bonus Download which I don't recall before. I'm guessing this is more like the Mojo Blu-ray release. Makes sense to me. I really like the idea of 5.1 hi-rez Blu-ray and a download code for a 24/48 FLAC file. You can do whatever you want with the FLAC (convert to MP3, etc.) and still get the highest quality via a disc.

9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Check the price from CD Universe...

10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Some more information on the petty official site (store)

Damn The Torpedoes - Deluxe Edition will be released on a high-resolution audio Blu-ray disc, featuring the original stereo mix and new 5.1 surround sound mix. The 24-bit 96K audio on the Blu-ray disc contains 256 times more resolution than a CD, providing greater detail and reproducing the music's full dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds. As a bonus the Blu-ray disc also includes the original music videos for "Here Comes My Girl" and "Refugee."

The first 15,000 copies of the vinyl LP and Blu-ray editions include a download of the entire album in one of three high quality digital formats (320k MP3, 24/96 FLAC, or Apple Lossless), redeemable until November 9, 2011.

http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=FANWEB&sku=PET50549

Damn The Torpedoes - Deluxe Edition Two 180 Gram LPs mastered for vinyl from the original analog master tapes at Bernie Grundman Studios and pressed by Pallas in Germany . Includes 12 page full color book featuring liner notes by noted rock journalist/author David Fricke, rare photos, and lyrics to each track.

The first 15,000 copies of the vinyl LP and Blu-ray editions include a download of the entire album in one of three high quality digital formats (320k MP3, 24/96 FLAC, or Apple Lossless), redeemable until November 9, 2011.

http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=FANWEB&sku=PET50550

Digitally remastered from the original analog master tapes, Damn The Torpedoes - Deluxe Edition features liner notes by noted rock journalist/author David Fricke, rare photos, and lyrics to each track. This item comes on 2 CDs.
    Disc One - Original Album
    1. Refugee
    2. Here Comes My Girl
    3. Even The Losers
    4. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)
    5. Century City
    6. Don't Do Me Like That
    7. You Tell Me
    8. What Are You Doin' In My Life?
    9. Louisiana Rain

Disc Two - Bonus Tracks
    1. Nowhere*
    2. Surrender*
    3. Casa Dega/B-side
    4. It's Rainin' Again/B-side
    5. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Live - Hammersmith Odeon 1980*
    6. Don't Do Me Like That/Live - Hammersmith Odeon 1980*
    7. Somethin' Else/Live - Hammersmith Odeon 1980*
    8. Casa Dega/Demo*
    9. Refugee/Alternate Take*

*Previously unreleased

http://www.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=FANWEB&sku=PET50548

11. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Still no sign of the Blu-Ray up for preorder at Amazon UK. :(

I assume that this will be region free (there are videos included).

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

13. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

15. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Are those live tracks not on any version of the deluxe Live box? (They're not on the basic 4 cd version.)

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

*Previously unreleased = This is from the official website, I take them at their word that THIS is true. (I had the same question this morning, but was already here at work, while my Deluxe Edition Live Anthology box is at home, but then saw the asterik and songs it related to).

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

So the vinyl set contains all the bonus tracks too? If so, I think I'm gonna go for that one!

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

No, none of them are. I just checked, & I have the Super Deluxe edition with the 5 CD set.

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I have "Something Else" as a B side to an old single, I'm sure. Come to think of it, it's on the Playback set, right? I can't imagine they will have dragged out a different live take of that one. But I may be wrong. It could be from the "other" Hammersmith night (both shows are available on Wolfgang's Vault). The other two live tracks are very familiar to collectors of live recordings (assuming they are from the Hammersmith show that was a KBFH broadcast).

20. street legal

I was actually curious about that & looked into it last night. The version on the "Playback" box set is actually a live version from 1978 (also at The Hammersmith), so they are in fact 2 different versions, unless that was a typo in the "Playback" set, which is possible, I suppose.

21. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Nice to make 24/96 .flac files available for purchasers of the vinyl and Blu-ray sets.

22. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Edit: never mind, it got pushed back. Maybe a Gort should fix the thread title? I was excited about this.

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Thanks for checking on that. I don't think Petty played the Hammersmith Odeon in 78, but I could be wrong. I'll try and do some more research on that one.../

24. street legal

Please do, & let us know. It'd be a shame if it's the same track, especially if they're saying that it is "previously unreleased". :(

25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Comparing the Playback version to the iTunes sample of the new release, they're clearly different performances, although they do seem pretty similar.

One obvious difference is that Petty shouts something different at the end of the guitar solo. On Playback it sounds like "looky here!" or "oh yeah!" or "over there!", while on the Damn the Torpedoes bonus track it's a comparatively intelligible "wait a minute!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.