Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes [Deluxe] - Vinyl/Blu-ray/2CD 11/09*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Wouldn't it be a no-brainer to put the Mudcrutch version of "Don't Do Me Like That" on the 2nd disc?

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Nice! :righton:

3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Not really. That has nothing to do with the "Damn The Torpedoes" era material.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've got the 2CD on pre-order from Amazon, but I should probably cancel. I only want the Blu-ray version.

I'm surprised to read of all this disappointment. I'm fine with a "deluxe" edition just including a 5.1 hi-rez remix and good mastering (presumed). Throw in a few bonus tracks and I'm good to go.

5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

WOW I think this is Great, the only thing I was hoping for was the release of the 5.1 mix and on Blu-ray instead of DTS even better. I could care less of the bonus material I just want the 5.1 hi-res mix.

I wasn't going to purchase this set but now I can't wait.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Don't be. Nobody here is ever happy with anything.

:cool:

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It's easy to forget, hanging round on this forum, that not all that many music lovers are geared up for blu-ray audio. I think when you compare this as a deluxe against dozens of other back catalogue special reissues anyone could list off the tops of their heads, it's really coming up way short. Just an IMHO.

8. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I've never heard anything from this album!

The Blu-ray is superb news! Every track will be a bonus track for me...

My first ever Tom Petty disc was Mojo on Blu-ray.

:thumbsup:

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The cost of entry for Blu-ray audio is very cheap. However, like anything else (CD players, turntables, etc), you're going to get what you pay for.

But Blu-ray as the main delivery format is inevitable. All weekend long, I saw TV commercials for "Iron Man 2: The Blu-ray Event of the Year. Not DVD, or "video" release. Probably a topic for another thread, but if you want to have a shot at experiencing the highest-rez version of new/re-issue titles, I'd take stronger look at Blu-ray.

10. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

pfffffffft. Another turd. :shake:

11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Me too , i want the Blu-ray , that's much more important than any of the other stuff , i allready have the album , but a hi-res version if done right is gonna be amazing .

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

:agree:

Absolutely. In the Deluxe/Legacy Editions' prime of the late 90's/early 00's, the thing that got me to buy them persoanally was the bonus tracks, & that's pretty much it. I always had the album already ...... every single time. I don't own a BluRay player or even have a 5.1 setup in my home, so those "extras" hold no value for me, personally.

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Sad that one of the fantastic '79 concerts isn't included.

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by windfall ...

My CD player has a "STOP" button.

I know! I think it's gonna catch on!

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You can also program them to play specific tracks as well.:shh:

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

what is this concept you speak of :D

Tom if he wanted could release a concert from this era , but i think he covered a ton of ground with that big Boxed set .

17. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Trust the record company to botch that as well. Anyone wanna lay odds that this whole disc will be around +15db hotter than it needs to be?

Now that I have the original vinyl and the MFSL....and with this limp track listing - there's nothing to see here for me now....

VP

18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It would be a mistake to give up on the mastering before we hear it (or see those waveforms!!). Petty and Ulyate have talked extensively about pushing back the forces of darkness in the loudness wars... at least on vinyl and hi rez.

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Some evidence (I am sure Ryan will be responsible for the blu-ray of DTT, hopefully the CD too...)

How did you approach mixing The Live Anthology for the different delivery formats? What were some of the challenges you faced?
    The good thing about Tom is that he’s always had really good people recording his stuff. From the outset I think there’s always been an acknowledgement that making stuff sound good is important. So with that in mind, we’re always trying to push the envelope forward in terms of making stuff sound better.

One of the reasons why we wanted to do all these different formats was due to our frustration with what CDs had turned into over the last 10 years, in terms of having no dynamics. We’ve been trying to let the music breathe a little bit more and not play the loudness war game—or at least find a way out! [Laughs] It’s like, how do we get off of this crazy carousel?

Years ago I stopped doing any bus compression on my mixes because I knew that if you smashed it before it got to the mastering place, by the time they were done with it, it was just dead. So I wouldn’t put any compression on the mix. It seems like you preserve a little bit more if you let the mastering engineer do it all. My advice would be to make sure your mixes are really good and punchy so they’ll still have some dynamics left in them when they have to be made louder in mastering. We did the [2008] Mudcrutch album like that. [For more information on the Mudcrutch project, read “Mudcrutch Records Debut in Tom Petty’s Rehearsal Space.”] We found a level that wasn’t the loudest level in the world, but it still was loud enough that when you put it on iTunes, it wouldn’t just drop completely off the Radar. So it’s a competitive level, but not the loudest thing in the world. We cut the vinyl from the mixes that had no bus compression and had all the punch, and we made a special audiophile CD from the uncompressed stereo mixes.

When it came time to do The Live Anthology, it was like, “Well, what are we going to do this time around to take it further?” And I think we all just hit on the idea that you want to give people the 24-bit/96k mixes that we listen to when we’re in the studio. Neil Young was just coming out with [Neil Young Archives, Vol. 1: 1963-1972 10-disc Blu-ray box set in 2009], and we figured that by the time >O?The Live Anthology came out, everyone would be getting Blu-ray. I want to do everything in Blu-ray because it gives people the ability to hear the same thing that [recording engineers are] hearing, and since it’s not a CD and it doesn’t really live in the same world, you don’t have to make it that loud. It’s almost like back in the good old days when CDs first started, when you didn’t hit any overs and they sounded great. And with the Bluy-ray player that’s what we did: We just mastered the stuff from the uncompressed masters, we didn’t hit any overs, and if you turn the thing up, it sounds great, like a live show should. If the drummer decides to make a real punctuation on the kick drum, it jumps out of the speakers. So I’m really happy that we’ve been able to use that format, and so far I think the reviews have been pretty good about it. People want that visceral experience of music and I think this is a way of getting that again.

Perhaps Blu-ray is the answer to the loudness wars?
    I think it is. The next thing that’s going to happen is someone’s going to listen to a Blu-ray disc, and say, “Well, I can make mine louder!” [Laughs] But I don’t think we need to play that game anymore. I think that it’s self-defeating because you can’t defy physics, and that’s what you’re trying to do with the loudness wars: You’re trying to trick people into feeling that something has more dynamics than it actually does. And God knows the mastering guys are really good at that. But at some point you hit the brick wall—literally. So given the response that we’re getting from [The Live Anthology], if we can just educate people that for it to be louder you turn it up, then we’re back to making music. As long as I’ve been doing this, whenever I heard the finished product, it was always a disappointment—even when we were going straight from tape to vinyl. If you had listened to the quarter-inch or half-inch master and then you listened to the vinyl, well, it was okay, but the tape was the best, where at least in this day and age with Blu-ray, you really are getting the same thing. Maybe the converters are a little bit different, but if you’ve got a Blu-ray player with some high-end converters, you’d get something as good as what we were listening to when we were making the thing.

more here
    http://mixonline.com/studios/profiles/audio_ryans_place/index2.html

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I was hoping for some nice bonus material -- that was the only interest for me. Looks like I'll pass on this one.

21. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Whereas you consistently seem to be confused why people don't like whatever the labels and successful artists deign to give us. In some cases, I agree that those who complain are expecting too much, but this is a rip-off. I know there's always the option of not buying, but there are a lot of people, myself included, who would like to buy a deluxe version of Damn the Torpedoes with a bunch of cool unreleased tracks. This is not that deluxe version.

22. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What I was thinking earlier today...that Live Anthology box is a LOT, and still pretty recent.

24. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

1. There are lots of concerts out there that could be found if you really looked.
    2. I will be getting the blu-ray of this. Does it have the same extras as the cd? I was hoping for better extras, but the blu-ray is enough for me to buy it.
    3. Be sure to check out Tom on the last leg of this tour, they still put on a great show.

25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

How so? Bitsteamimg data from a blu ray disc to a receiver is something even inexpensive players should be able to do a perfect job at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.