Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes [Deluxe] - Vinyl/Blu-ray/2CD 11/09*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is a pretty major release for me. :righton:

I don't even mind them repeating b-sides that were on "PLAYBACK", it'd be nice to have them all in one place. And the Mudcrutch version of "Don't Do Me Like That".

But obviously a live show from this era would be great as well!

My memory isn't what it used to be, can someone post a list of all the official b-sides from this album?

2. No info on whats on this thing yet?

3. JimC

JimC Senior Member

In the US, I think:

Don't Do Me Like That/Casa Dega

Refugee/It's Rainin' Again

4. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

In the new issue of Rolling Stone there is a mention of it's pending release in the "In Brief" section. All it said was that it would be a two CD deluxe edition and that it would include "seven previously unreleased tracks." It did not specify whether they would be live or studio tracks.

5. jricc

jricc Senior Member

One of my fave Petty albums, this should be good.:righton:

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

could well be wrong, but I wonder if it will be the Hammersmith Odeon show as a bonus disc - some of these were released on the live anthology.

7. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I can't recall Petty ever releasing a solo demo of a Heartbreakers' song.

Am I wrong?/What's up with that?

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Well, if that's true then that really sucks. So we're supposed to pony up $20 for 7 songs???
    Remember the good old days when Deluxe Editions were packed with previously unreleased material, like "Who's Next". I often wonder who they are marketing these Deluxe Editions for.
    If you're that big of a fan, you already own the proper album, so that's a complete non issue.
    These are usually quite popular albums, so even casual fans may already own the album.
    So, umm ....... isn't it kinda ALL about the bonus material? I know it is for me.

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I'm still guessing this is an 80min live show - probably the KBFH Hammersmith odeon show from March 1980 - and they will present it complete-ish, which will mean including songs previously released as B sides and on the live box.

10. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Maybe it's album + outtakes on disc one, live show on disc 2. At least I hope so.

11. Sounds good to me!

I'd like the b-sides and a few outtakes on disc one and then yeah, a live show from this era on the second disc.

This would IMO be a fantastic release! :thumbsup:

12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I mentioned earlier that Petty has maintained nothing was left over from the DTT sessions. I don't know if he'd forgotten about Casa Dega and It's Raining Again. Maybe we will get some demos. There are 21 tracks from the Hammersmith show(s) up at Wolfgang's Vault. A couple are on the live box, Stories we Can Tell is on Plantation, and I think one or two more were b-sides...?

13. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Eagle Rock has also just recently released a Blu-Ray version of Damn the Torpedos from the Classic Albums video series.

14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

After recently viewing the Classic Albums Blu-Ray, I can't help but wonder if a few of the "unreleased" tracks on the upcoming DTT Deluxe Edition will be extended cuts. The master of "Here Comes My Girl" goes on for quite a while after they decided to fade it on the album, and I'd definitely be happy if that and other longer mixes were to be included on the set.

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

:righton: :righton:+1
    ...and alternates.

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

One word: disappointing. But will be nice to have a hi rez version. This just in from spincds.com

'Damn The Torpedeos' (2CD Deluxe Edition/Blu-Ray) "....the third album by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and the first to be released by MCA Records, released in 1979. The 2CD Deluxe Edition contains a second disc featuring 2 Previously Unreleased studio recordings, "Nowhere" and an early version of "Surrender", the B-sides, "Casa Dega" and "It's Raining Again", 3 songs recorded live at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1980 plus a Demo version of "Casa Dega" and the alternate rhythm track to "Refugee". The Blu-ray also contains both the 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes, plus the videos for "Here Comes My Girl" and "Refugee"" Click to pre-order: 1) 2CD for £11.99 and 2) Blu-Ray DVD for £17.99 Released November 8th.

17. street legal

Boy, you can say that again, & I was really looking forward to this one ........

That's alright, it'll save me some money, which is a good thing considering all of the new releases coming out over the next couple of months that I WON'T be able to resist buying! :)

18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

If this had come out a few years ago, I would have snapped it up upon release. Today, I'm not so sure. I'm satis fied with my MOFI cd. If the two cd version comes out on ITunes, I'll just download the bonus tracks from there.

19. street legal

The vast majority of the "bonus tracks" are already available elsewhere, by the looks of the description.

20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Amazon US has moved the release date on the deluxe edition back to Nov. 2 now. No mention of the Blu-Ray package posted above over there yet either...

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yeah. This strikes me as a poor attempt at a deluxe edition. If you're going to release something aimed at more than the casual fan, it might be wise to make sure you have more than four of your tight-fisted nine bonus tracks as unreleased material. The others are familiar from Playback/Live Anthology.

This is really poor.

The obvious option would have been to put 4 unreleased on the end of the first CD and put in a live show as a second disc.

You have to wonder sometimes whether the record industry is at all interested in saving itself...

Nowhere /previously unreleased
    2. Surrender /previously unreleased
    3. Casa Dega / B-Side
    4. It's Raining Again / B-Side
    5. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid) / Live - Hammersmith Odeon – 1980
    6. Don't Do Me Like That / Live - Hammersmith Odeon - 1980
    7. Something Else / Live - Hammersmith Odeon - 1980
    8. Casa Dega / Demo Version
    9. Refugee / Alternate Rhythm Track

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So my only incentive, since I own the original vinyl, and the MFSL, is the Blu Ray portion...

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

What about the people that don't want the sanctity of the original running order demolished by appended bonus tracks? :laugh:

24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

My CD player has a "STOP" button. ;)

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Isn't this standard operating procedure for the major labels -- release a deluxe edition that disappoints the serious fans from the standpoint of extras?

If we get good mastering, we should consider ourselves lucky. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.