Todd Rundgren - Solo, with Utopia, and selected productions.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The only Nazz songs I'm familiar with are "Open My Eyes" and the original "Hello It's Me". I think "Open My Eyes" is a killer psychedelic song still one of Rundgren's finest achievements, despite the riff stolen from the Who's "I Can't Explain". "Hello It's Me" is now overshadowed by Rundgren's remake for the Something/Anything album.

Since I'm not familiar with anything else by the Nazz I'll come back when we get to Todd's solo debut.

2. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Forgot one:

[​IMG]

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Okay, I think we won't get too much input for the Nazz era, so I'll move on to the second album, Nazz Nazz.

Recording

After a brief trip to England in October 1968, cut short by visa problems, Nazz recorded their second album, originally entitled Fungo Bat in Los Angeles in late 1968 and early 1969. The album was originally intended as a double album but was shortened to a single LP before its release in April 1969. There was internal dissension within the about releasing a double album, since the band was relatively new and not widely known. Guitarist Todd Rundgren favored the double album, in part to showcase experimental, piano-based material which was heavily influenced by singer/songwriter Laura Nyro. Stewkey and Mooney favored a single album featuring the group's original Beatles-Who-Yardbirds-Cream derived sound, a decision ultimately supported by their record company. Disillusioned by these events, Rundgren departed the group shortly after Nazz Nazz was released, and much of the leftover material was used on the posthumous Nazz III album that was released after he launched his solo career.

Track listing
    All songs written by Todd Rundgren.

Side one

"Forget All About It" – 3:15
    "Not Wrong Long" – 2:30
    "Rain Rider" – 3:52
    "Gonna Cry Today" – 3:15
    "Meridian Leeward" – 3:20
    "Under the Ice" – 5:40

Side two

"Hang On Paul" – 2:42
    "Kiddie Boy" – 3:30
    "Featherbedding Lover" – 2:47
    "Letters Don't Count" – 3:25
    "A Beautiful Song" – 11:15

Personnel

Robert "Stewkey" Antoni: keyboards, vocals
    Thom Mooney: drums
    Todd Rundgren: guitar, horn arrangements, string arrangements
    Carson Van Osten: bass, vocals

Again, I don't have this album so I can't comment on this period of Todd Rundgren. Any input welcome before we move into his solo career, and with Utopia.

4. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

In my interviews and discussions with Todd, and in other public proclamations, it's clear the recording of this album (which got split into 2) was a watershed moment for him and his career. For starters, Todd had taken an active role in the studio; he knew the sound he was going after, and the experience of the first album -- produced by someone who was there to keep the sessions from going over and really not offering any musical direction -- made him realize he'd have to take the bull by the horns, which has been the case ever since.

The London sessions were a mess because of union regulations and the fact The Nazz were American citizens and may not have filed the proper papers to record there.

The members of the band were also fighting.

More on the early years from the Ubben Lecture I moderated w/ Todd at DePauw in 2009 (this is one of 9 parts, but deals with the early years):

http://www.youtube.com/user/KayO6145#p/search/5/HzrVmFwprfY

The lingering frustration of The Nazz and the way they were marketed (via teen magazines) led Todd to focus on a career "on the other side of the console," with projects engineering The Band, Jesse Winchester, Janis Joplin (briefly) and others.

5. vinyl diehard

Thanks for that! Great insight into the early days.:thumbsup:

6. Bass

Bass Forum Resident

Todd did some good work with Patty Smith too. I saw the Road to Utopia tour. They played together and then each band member did some tunes where they were featured. It was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Plus Wilcox had the funky drum kit! I say yes a Todd album by album thread would rule.

7. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

I have it on good authority that a show reuniting original members of Utopia (Moogy Klingman, Kevin Ellman, Ralph Schuckett, Todd, I'm forgetting someone -- no Roger or M. Frog), one night only, is close to being booked for 1/29 in NYC.

Now back to the discussion...

8. butch

butch Senior Member

So this is now the official Todd The Godd album by album thread then? Or should a proper one be started? I always wanted to interview some of the people surrounding Todd! :winkgrin: Should Nazz be separated from Todd solo or Utopia. With Paul Weller, we did separate threads because those were different,distinct eras really. With Todd, Utopia overlaps his solo career doesn't it? In the end it's all part of an artistic continuum.......

9. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I love "Forget All About It" and "Meridian Leeward" from Nazz Nazz. The Sanctuary reissue includes some previously-unreleased tracks including a killer psych opus, "Sydney's Lunchbox".

10. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

I'm curious as to what the bonus tracks sound like on the first Nazz album. Does Todd sing lead on any of them? For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Nazz, Todd sings lead on very few of the songs but he shreds on guitar throughout. The signature Rundgren harmonies and song structures are already in place this early in his career.
    "Hello It's Me" is the first song he ever wrote. The chord progression is based on an old Jimmy Smith song. Interesting that this is still the song he will be most remembered for.
    Nazz has the Yardbirds, Cream, Who elements mixed with the pop song sophistication of Jimmy Webb and Laura Nyro.

11. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

This is very exciting. Maybe John Siegler (bassist) would also be involved?
    I hope this is preserved on film for those of us who can't make it.

I recommend the full Fungo Bat sessions on Sanctuary that includes Nazz Nazz and Nazz III along with some great outtakes, demos etc. (including more Todd lead vocals). Some great stuff that is timeless Todd. This is all essential if you are a Todd fan even with "Stewkey" on most lead vocals (his voice fits the material perfectly). I'll definitely seek out the first album with the bonus tracks to complete my collection

12. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Just a memory from the first LP:

If That's The Way You Feel - a really lovely song with full orchestration.

The story I remember is that Todd wanted an orchestral backing, so he took a book on scoring for an orchestra home with him and came in the next day with a score for the hired musicians, who were amazed that he did it and it all worked and, indeed, he did a beautiful job. I always love those key modulations at the end of the song as it trials off.... goosebumps.

Nazz Nazz was so much stronger as an LP, though.

13. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Ah, do 'em all in one thread - it's all one story!

14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

NAZZ highlights...

Open Your Eyes - a classic rock track. A bit of a riff on 'I Can't Explain' by The Who to start but a complete rocker nontheless. Covered live by The Move, their version can be found on the 'Movements' box set. A winner.

See What You Can Be - a bit Bossa-Nova and a touch Zappa in places. A nice mid-paced groover, very Todd.

Hello It's Me - so laid back it's almost asleep. I love this version of the song, very sparse and stoned.

If That's The Way You Feel - my favourite song on Nazz 1 and maybe my favourite Nazz track of all. A lost classic to these ears - long, laid back and lush. Any Todd fans who haven't heard this song yet need to get on the case, it's a beauty.

Crowded - A nice little tune, quite Monkeesish at times. Not a Todd composition but one of the nicest tracks on the debut album.

Overall I like about half of the Nazz 1 album. The rockers are sometimes a bit plodding for me but there are enough standout tracks to make it a really enjoyable listen overall.

NAZZ NAZZ Highlights...

Not Wrong Long - a great bouncy rocker, not much to add to that, a good 'un.

Gonna Cry Today - A lovely early Todd ballad, very Nazz and similar in sound to Nazz III. Wouldn't have sounded out of place, composition wise, on the 'Ballad of TR' album.

A Beautiful Song - Probably the standout cut on the album. A long proggy epic, similar to what Todd would do with Birthday Carol on Runt. Rocking in places and lush in others. A bit of an epic.

Overall Nazz Nazz has some great Todd moments and the song arrangements and chord-structres are really getting there. A Lot more confident sounding than the first album. Again, the mid-paced rockers are a little staid and a bit sloppy at times but still groovy enough to hold interest.

Nazz III highlights...

Only One Winner - a bouncy piano driven pop song. Todd vocal version included on original Rhino CD and added to Sanctuary version as bonus track. Very Something/Anything.

It's Not That Easy - Another lovely mid paced song which wouldn't be out of place on one Runt, Ballad or Something/Anything. Nice Todd vocal version included on Santuary version.

Old Time Lovemaking - Very cute pop song. Could imagine it being a Monkees track, very bouncy and breezy.

Take The Hand - A laid back pop bossa-nova-ish track. Todds vocal version is included on Sanctuary CD.

You Are My Window - A long Todd sung ballad, a little ponderous at times but a very beautiful song which would be right at home on 'The Ballad of TR' album. Probably the highlight of the album. Toddly.

Overall I really like Nazz III. I know it's viewed as a bit of a mess by TR but I think it's got so many signs of where Todd would be headed as a solo artist and has more pop potential than the first two albums in my view. Less rockers and more pop songs. The 2 CD Sanctuary CD with Nazz Nazz & Nazz III (The Fungo Bat Sessions) has a lot of out-takes, mostly Todd vocal versions.

Nazz are interesting to me as a Todd fan, there are some absolutely essential Todd songs on these albums which really show Todd's stlye as a songwriter and occasionally as a vocalist. Some of the rockers are a bit aimless to these ears but the pop songs and ballads are almost universally on the ball. If you're a Todd fan and haven't checked out the three Nazz albums I'd say it's definitely worth it as the stand-out tracks are quite outstanding.

15. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

First Nazz album hits "Hello It's Me" and "Open My eyes" and "The Lemming Song"" got airplay on the "Underground FM stations".

I also remember hearing on the radio and very much liking "Under The Ice" from Nazz Nazz.

16. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I only have a couple of albums and CD's but I would love to keep up by reading this thread.

17. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Oh, I see it's already under way.

I know only "Open My Eyes" and "Hello It's Me" from the Nazz albums. But I'm for familiar with "Hello It's Me" from the 'Something/Anything' album since that's what represented on my 2 CD comp 'Anthology (1968-1985)'.

18. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I love Meridian Leeward from Nazz Nazz.

19. vinyl diehard

I'll give it some more time for more discussion on the albums Nazz and Nazz Nazz before moving on the Todd's first solo endeavour. I'll skip the third Nazz album as Todd left the group before it was released, and had no part of it.

20. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

My true introduction to The Nazz/Todd Rundgren was seeing The Move at the Fillmore in 69 when they played "Open My Eyes" and "Under The Ice" I went back home and discovered a east coast band that influenced The Move. I guess as history shows The Move were big on playing other peoples songs in their own defined way.

My own obsession with Mr. Rundgren began with Something/Anything. I have followed his career for many decades now. Both with Utopia and Solo. I have seen him and them (Utopia) live many times now. He is a great instrumentalist, but I love to watch him attack the Guitar the most. His vocals/pipes speaks in many ranges as a dynamic vocalist. Take this thread on.

21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

22. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on the new book - I just ordered a copy.

23. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I think Nazz Nazz is a much more self-assured effort by Nazz. It sounds better, the playing is stronger and the songs are better too. Thom Mooney is a great, sloppy rock and roll drummer on this album (gotta love Under The Ice), and it sounds to me like Todd's channeling Eric Clapton on this record. Lots of complex vocal arrangements on this album too.

Side two has a bit of a suite feel and it's cool. Hang On Paul rocks - go, Todd, go! - I think Hang On Paul might be his best solo ever and he white-boy-bloozes his way through the next few songs too - very nice, clean, clear guitar playing.

The next LP is leftovers, so this stands as Nazz's finest moment.

At some point I bought a vinyl LP called Nazz From Philadelphia which consists of outtakes and alt mixes and I think it was put out by Thom Mooney in some way. An authorized boot of some kind? Can't find much info on it....

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Good thread, I'm in... sooner or later. I had a Nazz album or two, didn't play them much, and never replaced them when I dumped my vinyl.

The guy is a Wizard, alrighty, and has generally gotten better over time, imo.

Don't forget to add concert experiences as the thread progresses!

25. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

Just to make things clear, there are three Nazz albums released that have Todd on them: Nazz, Nazz Nazz and Nazz III. The last two are from the same sessions (The Fungo Bat Sessions).

Todd has been playing Nazz songs "Kiddie Boy" and "Open Your Eyes" on his latest tour which also features Robert Johnson Songs from the upcoming "Todd Rundgren's Johnson" album. The Robert Johnson songs feature a lot of great Todd guitar work that is reminiscent of the Nazz period..
    Todd's biggest influence on guitar is Cream and Yardbirds era Clapton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.