The Worst Sounding CD ever!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trumpetplayer, Apr 3, 2004.

1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

You make good points. We don't 'flame' here, dude..:D
    I disagree, though.

I would also suggest that you listen to the Bowie mix more closely if you think it has less bass than the remix. As a bassist, and someone who listened to the remix first, I was -shocked- at how much bass was missing from the remix as compared to the original.
    If you're talking about bass meaning "low end", then I agree with you. Much more in the remix - to the point of boominess. When I had a sub I had to turn it down - again, boosted to excessive levels.

2. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Thanks, I'll go back and listen. I'm not a big fan of excessive "boomy" sound, myself...glad to come here and learn something new! Youze guys rock...

3. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:thumbsup: Let me know what you think. FWIW the US Bowie mix CD has some bum fades (I've heard anyhow - I have the Euro version and the mid-90's Columbia vinyl). Could be part of the equation too.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Thats good to hear. I thought I had read somewhere that the DVDA of Supernatural wasn't much better than the wretched redbook cd.

I'll now be able to put it back on my DVDA list.

Also the news that the Bat Out Of Hell SACD is the best available is good news to me! :righton:

5. Hail Purdue

Hail Purdue New Member

The lowdown skinny on Raw Power

Sony mastering engineer Mark Wilder told me that when Raw Power was being remastered, Iggy Pop was with him in the studio. Mr. Ostenburg demanded that Wilder push peak recording levels deep into red, and the engineer had little choice but to comply -- even though he knew the results would be disastrous. To his credit, Wilder did cut back levels slightly without Iggy's knowledge. To be sure, the resulting disc was still a distorted, overbaked mess, but trust me -- it could have been a lot worse.

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Got to add The Byrds Original Singles 1965 - 1967 on CD. Remastered woefully out of phase!

:hurl:

Brian

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The very first CD I ever tossed out of my office window..

btomarra likes this.
  8. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Yeah, Steve. I had a similar knee jerk reaction. Bought it for less than $9, played it once for less than a minute and ditched it.

We need a nice sounding remaster of this and the second volume (which I believe is only available on vinyl). To date the single mix of Goin' Back is unavailable on CD....just my thoughts here...

Brian

9. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Since the new remaster is pretty much an ear-bleeder, I borrowed my girlfriend's original pressing and it sounds pitiful! I ended up buying a 180gram vinyl copy that sounds reasonable at least.

10. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Who remastered the Byrds CD you speak of STEVE? I want names and labels so I know what not to purchase.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Four of the worst spounding CD's that I've heard:

1) Chicago: Hot Streets (the out-of-print Columbia release) - Very compressed and lifeless and has occasional tape dropouts that produces squeking sound.
    BY comparison, the Rhino remastered CD sounds much much better.

2) Police: Zenyatta Mondatta (the out-of-print first A&M release) - Very compressed and lifeless. No dynamics.

3) Christopher Cross: Another Page (WB) - Very low sound level and audible tape hiss.

4) Helen Reddy: Greatest Hits (?) - Very bright sounding CD. My ears bleed to death.

I can't stand to have bad sounding CD's in my collection and that's why I got rid of them by selling them to a used CD store.

12. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

The "first" CD you tossed out your office window? How many have you tossed?

13. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

There was only one version of the Byrds' Original Singles 1965 -1967, so just avoid anything with that title. FWIW, label/catalog # was Columbia CK 37335, was released on CD in the 1980s.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You may be thinking of "Greatest Hits (and More)"

15. BradOlson

Yes, this is an awful legitimate CD. I could even hear the poor sound quality on the Samsung stereo I played it on at the time.

16. BradOlson

Yes, the original CD of Live Bullet is decent sounding.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is not true. There was a secret remaster, so there are two versions. I know, because I instigated it with CBS quality control. The new one still sucks, but it is much better than the first one.

18. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

The European edition of the non-remaster is supposedly better than the US. I also have the Columbia 90's vinyl that predates the 180gram edition..not bad.

19. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction.

I loved those 80s Columbia/CBS secret upgrades -- and I appreciated that Columbia would replace your crappy original version for the upgrade for free if you asked. Of course, I appreciated even more the fact that they eventually began doing a better job on their reissues, so that upgrades weren't necessary...

20. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I like it too, not sure if it is great but it is good.

21. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

How does out of phase sound when listening to speakers that you know are wired in phase?

22. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

...sounds like a real keeper to me ;) Why? "Very low level" could also be "lots of dynamics" and "tape hiss" is our friend, as we all know...

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I believe Steve eventually hadda get a permit for disposing of toxic waste... :D

24. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

All Things Must Pass. The recent release is unlistenable for more than 45 minutes at a time. Why can't these companies figure out that one reason for reduced sales may be reduced listening due to listener fatigue?

25. Marlowe

Marlowe Forum Resident

>Chili Peppers - "Californication"

Oooh, I forgot about that one. The compression is so overdone that ALL of the vocals have easily audible crunch distortion. I couldn't believe they let that one out like that, that mastering guy has some balls putting his name on it.

Great album though.