The Worst Sounding CD ever!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trumpetplayer, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

All those Nilsson Camden CD's sound like flattened dog poop.

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

The first CD ever issued (whatever that was) and it has been downhill ever since.
    JG

3. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:agree: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sean

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Bangles - Doll Revolution

Iron Maiden - The dance of death

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The worst one to me was Santana's big hit Supernatural. It has some great music on it but the cd's sound put me right on edge immediately.

I sold it off very quickly....too bad.

I hear the SACD isn't much better. :(

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't know what exactly was in the first batch of 20 titles, but I have the original Japanese pressing of Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here that was released in the US (with the album divided into two tracks), and I think it sounds great. Wish You Were Here was definitely one of the early titles released by CBS/Sony. The original CD released in Japan has 35DP 4 for the catalog number, and my Japanese pressing that was released in the US has "35DP-4" in the matrix code. That suggests it was released very early on.

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Most CDs by Fairport Convention and Sandy Denny that were pressed in the 80's on Hannibal. Sandy's "Like An Old Fashioned Waltz" is one of my favorite albums but the sound is horrible, very muffled. Fortunately I bought a NM vinyl version a few years ago and it sounds great.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. vibes

vibes Forum Resident

Stanley Cowell - Brilliant Circles (Black Lion label)

My mom could have done a better job of mastering this CD. I don't know if it's the original tapes or the mastering or what, but the vibraphone and saxophone sound like they aren't even in the same room as the rhythm section. Worst-sounding CD in my collection of 1200 or so CD's.

9. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Yeah...that's crap all right. But "1" is even worse :(

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is the original CD of Bullet any good?

11. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

True. The newer comps from Universal sound better. In fact, on the Sandy Denny Anthology, they finally got a better sounding "For Shame of Doing Wrong" from Sandy's last album. It always sounded like it was recorded in the studio next door.

12. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

My vote for worst CD has to be "Bird - Original Recordings of Charlie Parker" from 1988. Somehow, they managed to EQ out the rest of the band, and keep Parker's sax piercingly sharp throughout. Painful. I won't even give it away. The more recent Parker CDs seem to have gotten a better mastering job. But this one completely destroyed my first experience listening to Charlie Parker.

13. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

I would have to vote for Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell". Is there a good sounding copy (any format) of that?

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The hiss is louder than the music.

15. Larry Geller

You have heard wrong on two fronts. First of all, it's not on SACD, it's a DVD-A. Second, it sounds MUCH better! By a lot.

16. Larry Geller

The current SACD's stereo track is by far the best representation of the stereo mix ever put out. Better than the vinyl. The mix is still treble-heavy, but the SCAD seems to have cured a lot of the screechiness that has plagued all prior versions.

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The Bat out of hell SACD is great!

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This isn't a remaster and isn't a CD, but it's the worst example I have ever heard of a professional music release: Muddy Water's "Rolling Stone" album on Chess records, cassette version. It's an 80's compilation of some of Muddy's best old tracks. I bought the vinyl LP back in the 80's, and it sounds great. A few years ago, when I didn't have a turntable handy, I got the urge to hear that album again, and I bought a cassette version, because the particular complilation hasn't been issued on CD. Well, it's a needle drop. Yes, Chess's CASSETTE version of "Rolling Stone" is a needle drop. And it's from an LP 10 times scratchier than mine.

If I'd have known that Chess was so hard up for a copy of that album, I'd have lent them mine. :rolleyes:

19. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The original CD issue of Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel. Sounded so dull and lifeless that I preferred my re-issue, Nice Price LP which sounded pretty good.

Joe L.

20. Marlowe

Marlowe Forum Resident

Broadsword and the Beast by Jethro Tull

A favorite of mine but the CD sounds so bad I never listen to it. From what I remember it sounded screechy, thin, low volume... it's a melange of bad digital sound!

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I will second that.

22. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Rush - Vapor Trails...not the music, but exteme overuse of compression. Not an earbleader, but an earbasher.

Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove...mid 90s Priority Records remaster. No dynamic range, no frequency range...just plain unlistenable.

23. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I'm guessing this one will be remastered soon.

24. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

To jump back to an earlier post, Re: The Stooges "Raw Power" remaster

25. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Chili Peppers - "Californication"
    Counting Crows "Songs About Ghosts", or something like that...their greatest hits package

Both are from my wife's collection and both are squashed enough to make the ears bleed.

Another honorable mention to The "All Things Must Pass" remaster. God-awful