The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Obviously. Products like this have been around since the 1970s/80s. The product I remember best was called "Disc-O-Film", but there were other brands here. It worked great, but it was quite expensive. The wood glue method is just a surrogate because the original products have all vanished, and the price was a bit steep.

eddiel likes this.
  2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I have used the TiteBond glue as well as Elmers and I usually used a playing card to apply the glue. I practiced on some throw away albums and got very good at the application process as well as the removal process, so I know how to clean using this method, I just do not prefer it over the sink cleaning method I have outlined on the forum. I believe the sink clean is just much easier, less time consuming and vastly superior to the wood glue method, or I would still be using it.

I think it might be time again for my favorite wood glue cleaning video, a must for everyone to see! Here we go!

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

According to what I read years ago on the internet ... :rolleyes: it is made from Polyvinyl alcohol - Wikipedia .. see US patent no 4,199,375. I experimented with the substance once, but it didn't work out. I must have done something wrong.

4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I have tried that with mixed results. I did learn that if the LP is even slightly thicker at the label area, it won't flatten correctly. This is especially true for 45s.

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Voodoo science with magic gems! :laughup: Ridicule. In this line of work why he didn't wash the record with WD-40? I see the result! A warped record like a cowboy hat. Destroyed labels. A great fiasco.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I once used the glue method fairly frequently, and it was my benchmark by which I compared other methods.

I made 3" round plywood discs with threaded holes, and I sandwiched the album between them. This allows me to treat both sides of an album at the same time.

I use a silicone glue roller to apply the glue, the Aleene's Tacky Glue (Wal-Mart and Amazon) works best.

A 120mm muffin fan blowing across the album made the glue set much faster. Need a fan if you're going to do both sides at the same time, otherwise there isn't enough air movement on the bottom side and the glue will pool and take forever to dry.

Holding the album by the plywood discs during the glue peel prevents me from touching the vinyl.

My air compressor gun blows any small glue fragments off the vinyl. These small pieces often settled on the album due to static created during the peel.

I've learned that hitting an album a couple of times with my Audio Technica pad + uncut alcohol worked just as well as the glue. Cheaper, faster, too.

Now the glue is a last resort and it never really helps, but I try it from time to time to make sure I'm not crazy.

aphexacid, Greenalishi and arisinwind like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No need to be an a-hole about it. It's just a bit of polyvinyl

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Thank you

I have a few records i'd like to try it with

But i won't get my hopes to high

Warped records may just br frizbees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.