The Who: Who's For Tennis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DinsdaleP, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

WOO HOO!

2. Fields&Lanes

Fields&Lanes Forum Resident

I agree with this. And now with the new information concerning the '68 Fillmore shows...

Yes, some of the songs from that era are disposable. But, many are fascinating and it's a sound that they rarely revisited (if ever) once Tommy took them to another dimension.

3. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I think a Who's Next 45th Anniversary edition is almost a given. If done right it should include the proper album along with Pete's demos, a 5.1 mix (if possible), the SFCA '71 show, the Roundhouse show and a "Lifehouse" disc including all the appropriate studio outtakes.

With that out of the way, re-release the first three albums internationally as mono/ stereo 2fers with no bonus tracks.

Compile all the remaining non-LP singles, rarities, bonus tracks, BBC and what have you into logically sequenced compilations.
    · DISC 1: High Numbers/ My Generation-era singles and outtakes ('64-'65)
    · DISC 2: A Quick One-era singles and outtakes (1966, early '67)
    · DISC 3: Sell Out/ Tennis-era singles and outtakes (late '67-1968)
    · DISC 4: Tommy-era/ 1970 EPs singles and outtakes (1969-70)
    · DISC 5: Rock Is Dead... Long Live Rock-era singles and outtakes (1971-72)

Release Fillmore East '68 with an unedited "Relax"!

Fields&Lanes likes this.
  4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

You of course meant to type "Woo Who!" I'm sure.

:winkgrin:

One Louder and John Fell like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'll rejoice when the 1971 San Francisco show is released uncut, warts and all.

One Louder and John Fell like this.
  6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i can just imagine Kit having the boys out in the streets of Wimbledon selling signed copies of the LP to tennis fans!

7. Mechanical Man

Can you tell me anything about this? Has it been released elsewhere? I don't think I've ever heard the song before, and I've not seen nor heard that boot.

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i have the LP,but don't recall that song title.
    it's probably the track "Sodding About" which was included in the 2CD of Sell Out.

keifspoon likes this.
  9. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Mechanical Man likes this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As the tracklist posted by Quadboy shows, there is no song called "The Jaguar" on the Who the **** boot. The source of that misinformation was an old usenet post by Whitefang, whose attention to detail and accuracy has never been strong. He was most likely referring to "Sodding About" which is mis-titled "Who the ****" on the bootleg LP in question.

lukpac and Mechanical Man like this.
  12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I think the verse melody of 'Faith in Something Bigger' is one of the most gorgeous things Townshend ever wrote. The chorus (melody and lyrics) is the weak point of the whole thing, but "it might be cold. . ." still sends shivers down my spine.

tages, ReadySteady and Mechanical Man like this.
  13. Mechanical Man

Thanks, guys. I figured it was likely either a mis-titled "Sodding About" or "Mountain King", but was curious just in case there was another instrumental that escaped my radar.

"Faith in Something Bigger" seems to be getting a lot of love in this thread, and I couldn't be happier. I've always enjoyed the song and thought it had a beautiful melody and never really understood the source of Pete's animosity towards it. Although after re-reading his quotes it seems to be the lyrics and the guitar solo he finds most troubling.

Finally, has everyone heard this? Pete and some of his cohorts including Speedy Keene from the soundtrack to the 1968 short film The Lone Ranger:

marmalade166, One Louder and reb like this.
  14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, a very good point. I sit corrected.

15. Chris M

The '68 attempt at Now I'm A Farmer is another possibility. Anyway Anyhow Anywhere also mentions 'Shakin' All Over' and the unknown titles 'Joys' and 'Facts Of Life' - perhaps I'm thinking wishfully but the latter must be 'Do You Want Kids, Kids'!

Testify brother! Can someone (Luke?) give us the rundown of 'Faith in Something Bigger' mixes? The Odds & Sods reissue has a remix right?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    tages likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd still like to know if that early Now I'm A Farmer actually exists, and if so, how complete it is.

As far as I know there are just the two. The original mix was supposedly mixed in 1973 by John for Odds & Sods. The SHM CD indicates Little Billy was mixed at Gold Star in 1968, but doesn't mention anything for mixing for Glow Girl or FISB.

The remix on the 1998 O&S has wider stereo separation and has the backing track mixed to the left, instead of centered as on the original mix. Also, the remix has the lead guitar mixed to the right, instead of centered with a lot of reverb.

It sounds like there's a third guitar recorded on the vocal track that mixed right, easily heard around 1:46.

17. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I have, yes. It makes for very interesting listening cause you can hear a clear transition between the type of material Pete typically turned out in '67 - '68 and what was to come on Tommy. One of the reels of music from The Long Ranger has an excerpt of Pete playing an acoustic version of She's a Sensation, the song that was rewritten as Sensation for Tommy.

18. Chris M

Likewise. FWIW Anyway Anyhow Anywhere has it listed under May 29th at Advision along with 'Melancholia', 'Dogs', and 'Fortune Teller' - we know they have the multi-track for those three since they have been remixed. Also listed under 29 May are 'Shakin' All Over', 'Joys' and 'Facts Of Life'....hmm.

Thanks Luke.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

@oates ?

Also, the Dogs stereo remix was one of the few welcome surprises from the box.

swedgin likes this.
  20. Chris M

Anyone know when the updated edition of Anyway Anyhow Anywhere is due?

21. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I've never heard of the "Lone Ranger" film nor its soundtrack. Love that track that's posted! Could someone please let me know what its all about?

22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Chris Freakin' M in da house! :love:

23. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Lone Ranger was a student film Pete wrote music for in early 68.
    The music is available on bootlegs ("Odds & Sods Vol. 2" for example)

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No current plans.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Anyone For Tennis- The Cream
    Who's For Tennis- The Who

wayne66 and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.