The Who: Who's For Tennis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DinsdaleP, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fields&Lanes

Fields&Lanes Forum Resident

+1

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here's my track list.

Glow Girl
    Summertime Blues
    Melancholia
    Early Morning Cold Taxi
    Little Billy
    Fortune Teller
    Faith in Something Bigger

The Last Time
    Call Me Lightning
    Dogs
    Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
    Under My Thumb
    Someone's Coming
    The Magic Bus

3. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

This video is my track listing that I posted to my blog years ago, with artwork designed by a friend of mine. Some enterprising YouTuber apparently decided to post the tracks and take credit for the idea in the process, referring to himself as a "genius" for putting it together in the comments section. Whatever.

I never envisioned this as the "real" Who's for Tennis, if such a thing were even possible. As Lukpak accurately summarized it earlier in the thread, it was just supposed to be a collection of odds and ends and a fun listen. Given the era covered, Who's for Tennis seemed as good a title as any.

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

it was just intended to cash in on the upcoming London tennis tournament.whatever songs thay had lying around at the time.not one of Lambert and Stamps better ideas.
    really looking forward to their up coming documentary.
    i'm a bit weary of hearing all the same old Who tales in band docs.
    hopefully it will contain lots of behind the scenes footage,that we've only previously seen very briefly.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

sorry to quote you so belatedly,but Astley wan't in charge of everything concerning the CD reissues.just doing the mix/mastering/tape locating.
    sounds more like a Charlesworth oversight.he was in charge of track selection etc..........with the final say by Pete.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

That artwork is on the Wikipedia entry also. Your friend is famous, sort of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_for_Tennis?

Mechanical Man likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"The record cover accompanying this article is a recent creation, imagining what the cover could have possibly looked like."

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This and the 1972 Rock is Dead: Long Live Rock aborted album...the two great lost Who albums (although LLR begat Quadrophenia so it's all good) :cool:

One Louder and Zack like this.
  9. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Is there any speculative Long Live Rock track list?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

12. oates

oates Forum Resident

Multitrack tapes of both Fillmore East shows are intact in The Who's tape archive. As far as I can tell, these are complete and include the otherwise unrecorded cover of "C'Mon Everybody" (which is great). I don't know why these shows haven't been consider for release, other than that they are clearly imperfect performances.

dee, marmalade166, swedgin and 4 others like this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I thought the Filmore 68 performances were lost and not in the archives?

Zack likes this.
  14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Er, Lifehouse?

15. DrBeatle

Yes, of course, :doh: except loads of those songs ended up coming out on Who's Next and some singles/B-sides. Just about all of the intended Who's For Tennis? and LLR songs remained in the vault (apart from the two LLR tunes that made it to Quad) until we got the reissues in the 90s.

16. oates

oates Forum Resident

As of the late 1990s when I got this information first hand, absolutely not true.

dee likes this.
  17. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

It would be interesting to see what the next Who reissue(s) will be. Certainly with the 50th anniversary of My Generation next year this would be a wonderful opportunity to get the 2012 mastering to the masses.... And a deluxe set from that era could be a thing of beauty!

We've had Leeds, Quadrophenia and Tommy. Who's Next seems the obvious candidate.

But this 68 material is never likely to be collated in a meaningful way, which is a shame as it is a fascinating insight into the transitional period between Sell Out and Tommy.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Concert File claims they exist, and I was told "Fillmore '68 - yes, half-inch 4-track multis for both nights are in archive" by Andy Neill.

dee, Chris M and Fields&Lanes like this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Somebody needs to track down the master 3-tracks for a proper stereo remix...

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I sure don't agree with this. I think FiSB is a great pop song. Nothing at all embarrassing about it.

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Now we just need the shows released:)

I love the sound of the boot. The recording really captures a more angry Who then was recorded from 1969 onward-IMO

ted321 and DrBeatle like this.
  22. DrBeatle

Not only that, it was the most free-form/open-ended jamming they ever did. Relax, Shakin' All Over, My Generation...just great jams from that show!

23. Mechanical Man

That's hilarious! He's a professional designer and has done great mock covers for Lifehouse and Rock Is Dead... Long Live Rock too, as well as stuff for other bands. I'm going to give him a message and let him know he's made Wiki. :)

24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Er, the SF '71 live album?

John Fell and Mechanical Man like this.
  25. Mechanical Man

This is the best thing I've heard all week. Come on Who camp, release these!

One Louder and John Fell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.