The Who Album-By-Album (& Single-By-Single) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

Singer Bowl with Bob Pridden:

Attached Files:

2. glea

glea Forum Resident

They must be playing Magic Bus then. Bobby Pridden got to come out and hit the sticks...

3. tages

tages Senior Member

4. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Thanks, Steve! Loving this thread as well, and I never take corrections as disses at all; quite the opposite. Just kicking myself for being sloppy. We're in this together, and it actually feels a bit sad that we're soon about to leave 1968 behind, but we've got so much great music coming up. Only got a comp left before we hit 1969. :thumbsup:

Great Singer Bowl pictures, lovingcup! Never seen the one with Bobby. Yes, that must be "Magic Bus", or "Bob Sings Blues", perhaps? :winkgrin:

5. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Same take. But, it's unedited and features a different mono mix from the single.

I don't know who was in charge of editing the take, but they were a genius!

IMO, turned a long-ish psychedelic jam session into a catchy/commercial pop hit!

6. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Has anybody ever heard this cover version? Do we know if there was any direct Who involvement in the recording or producing? Is it available anywhere? Thanks!

7. glea

glea Forum Resident

I found it on a comp someone made for me. It's pretty funny... bongos instead of claves... some doo wop bg vocals, harp... wow... Interesting, but not as good as Billy Fury's version of Long Live Rock

8. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

I found a few more from 67-68. I know I made a few date/location ID mistakes on a few I posted but I'm too lazy to fix it at the moment.
    Thanks to everyone who helped ID the correct time & place on those!

Attached Files:

9. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

A few more:

Attached Files:

10. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

I dug up a few more from 67-68. I wish I could have seen them on these tours.

Attached Files:

11. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

And the rest:

Attached Files:

12. glea

glea Forum Resident

The first two seem to be from the Cow Palace 1967, second show. Shots from this show we printed in Rolling Stone #1 or #2.... haven't pulled those out of the foot locker since I moved 30 years ago. Wonder if they have turned to dust?

13. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

photo 1 & 2 Monterey Pop June 18, 1967
    photo 3 Toronto Aug. 9, 1967
    photo 4 Virginia Beach July 20, 1967

14. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Photo 1 Village Theatre, New York City Nov 25, 1967
    Photo 2 Cow Palace, San Francisco Nov 18, 1967
    Photo 3 "Magic Bus" Beat Club, Bremen, Germany Oct. 7, 1968
    Photo 4 ??
    Photo 5 ??

15. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Photo 1 Australia Jan 1968
    Photo 2 (left) ??
    Photo 3 (right) Keith's infamous birthday party, Holiday Inn, Flint, MI Aug 23, 1967
    Photo 4 & 5 Rock n Roll Circus, London Dec 10-11, 1968

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The one with John by the pool was taken by Peter "Dougal" Butler.

17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

18. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I'd like to get a WHO compilation CD set.... it can be 1, 2, or 3 discs.

What I'd like to know is what are the best sounding compilations, without regard to song selection, with the sound being the main factor..... Just which compilations are the best sounding, and, which, like "The Ultimate Collection"... should be avoided, as the worst sounding compilations.

Thank you for your advice.... :agree:

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

You can pick up Steve's mastering of MEATY BEATY from Amazon.ca. WHO'S BETTER WHO'S BEST has great sound as well.

If you can still track one down, there's a Japanese mini-LP CD pressing from a couple years ago of DIRECT HITS that has several hard-to-find tracks including the only appearance on CD of the mono single mix of "I Can See for Miles".

20. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

OK, one more compilation before we hit 1969:

21. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Direct Hits

[​IMG]

UK: October 18, 1968 - Track 612006 [Mono]
    UK: October 18, 1968 - Track 613006 [Fake Stereo]

A1: Bucket "T" (2:07) ***
    (Don Altfeld/Roger Christian/Dean Torrence)
    A2: I'm A Boy (2:38) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    A3: Pictures Of Lily (2:35) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    A4: Doctor, Doctor (2:59) ****
    (John Entwistle)
    A5: I Can See For Miles (4:03) *****
    (Pete Townshend)
    A6: Substitute (3:47) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    B1: Happy Jack (2:14) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    B2: The Last Time (2:51) ***
    (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards)
    B3: In The City (2:25) **
    (Keith Moon/John Entwistle)
    B4: Call Me Lightning (2:24) ***
    (Pete Townshend)
    B5: Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand (2:35) ****
    (Pete Townshend)
    B6: Dogs (3:05) ****
    (Pete Townshend)

When Decca turned down The Who's request for the compailation The Who's Greatest Flops (which was to feature Shel Talmy material), and subsequently put out Magic Bus - The Who On Tour, the band was furious. But they still felt the timing was right for a compilation, and got Track to put together Direct Hits. Since Track is basically Kit Lambert, Chris Stamp and The Who, there are absolutely no excuses for this compilation, which in actual fact is worse content-wise than Decca's Magic Bus - The Who On Tour. The tracklist is one thing. "Bucket "T"" is a strange opener, but fair enough. There are plenty of good singles here, and "Doctor, Doctor" is one of their strongest B-sides, but why use the album version of "I Can See For Miles"? And even though the album version of "Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand" is better than the single version (entitled "Mary-Anne With The Shaky Hands"), the single version has never been made available in the UK. Why not include that? And even the best thing that can be said about this compilation, which is that it flows well, is completely overshadowed by its abysmal sonics. The STEREO version is in actual fact FAKE STEREO right across the board, and the MONO version... Is a fold-down of the FAKE STEREO. Enter FAKE MONO, ladies and gentlemen. The cover art is boring, the package feels cheap, and John's name is as always being misspelled "Entwhistle" on the label. There is no rational excuse for what you have done, Track, this is an abomination!

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What's the story behind the single picture of the horse on the back of LP jacket?

23. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

The answer would really dpend on who conceived and designed the cover. My first thought is Townshend's Horse's Neck book, the title reflecting a reoccuring dream of being on a beach as a very small child when an equestrian couple happenned by. However, much of the book seems to have bubbled out of his subconcious later than this album (as did some startling memories that may have inspired parts of Tomy).

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who"- picture collage of the day:

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who"- a flick of the light-picture collage of the evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.