The Who Album-By-Album (& Single-By-Single) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

My only experience of this album was the 1995 remix before the deluxe edition came out. I still prefer some of the remixes but the deluxe is essential especially for the original version of Rael and the studio Summertime Blues.

My favourite Who deluxe edition by a mile.

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And a song that was way ahead of its time.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

4. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

Even though they didn't write it, it puts an extra angle on Armenia City In The Sky too. :)

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who" picture of the day:

6. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Ahh...great to see this thread gathering momentum again. The big question: will Devotional be up to the task of detailing all the variations of the tracks on this album? Stereo, Mono, Remix, Deluxe, etc, etc? :winkgrin:

7. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

the who sell out: a close second to "who's next"... almost every song is a gem ... no sign of a "sell out" here...
    i also think that "mary anne" is underrated... belongs to every "top ten who-songs"-list, also of course "i can see for miles"...

8. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

Which is the better CD mastering of the original stereo mix: the old MCA or the new DE?

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I saw them perform "Tattoo" on the "farewell" tour of 1982.

I love this album!

Evan

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That's cool, unfortunately I don't remember much from the 1982 shows:D

11. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

They played "Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands" 3 out of the 4 nights I saw at Giant Stadium in 1989. Can't believe it's been over 20 years since the 25th anniversary tour!

Who On Ice -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=087wxoPodrw

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

13. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

15. Kid_Naitch

Kid_Naitch Forum Resident

Yeah, Pete's gotten a mite gravelly.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

17. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Sell Out is for me the best Who Album, sure, Who's Next, Quad & By Numbers are masterpieces but they're from a more cynical post 60's era, Sell Out captures the last of the 60's innocence (if they ever had any!) of The Who.

It certainly contains some of pete's finest songs, Tattoo, Odorono, Our Love Was, Miles, Can't reach You to name a few, but the real pick of the bunch is definitely Sunrise, such a beautiful song, Pete sings & plays beautifully.

The only disappointing thing is that the original concept is abandoned halfway thru, which is a shame, because the adverts (original or otherwise) go along way to forming the albums character.

18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Who Sell Out was a pivotal LP in my life as a teenager. The LP had such a great cover and how the tracks with the commericals flowed in and out. If I think about it they only played "Tattoo" and "Relax" live, but seeing them performing "Tattoo" live (Fillmore West & Winterland) holds a special place in my heart. The three part harmony live back then was astounding. Not to many groups of that time period (Who were on the road 67-70) sang and blended so well. I first heard the mono "Our Love Was Is" in between acts at a BGP show and was blown away by the different guitar solo. I went on a hunt for a mono version as the stereo's were always the version in my mind. Listening to this DE is a treat with all the added tracks. I do appreciate the re-mix version for cleaning up Keiths Drum sound. The Great LP for the 60's Mod Era.

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who"- Pictures of the day -touring in Sweden:

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who"- In Sweden con't:

21. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

What a great thread!

22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The Who in Sweden is a great book! The CD that came with it....I'll stick with the originals.

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who"- picture of the day:

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"The Who"-picture of the day

25. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I saw them 1 night at Giants Stadium on that stand and they didn't play Mary Anne, but they did play I Can see for Miles. That's the only time I've ever heard them play that one in concert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.