The White Stripes "Icky Thump" new LP, adventures in mastering: 1" tape breakthrough!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Bump

Yes, they are on the same label as before over here (XLRecords).
    I need this information as well... otherwise I'll buy this European Non-Warner vinyl on my way home today. Will it be Steve's version for sure? The price is 16,99 Euro - ordering an US import would cost a lot more...

Thanks,
    Martin

2. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I've just bought it. I haven't heard it yet, but I think both the American and European releases share the same mastering. Steve's and Kevin's names are on the dead wax. I know I won't be able to tell if they actually share the same mastering because I haven't heard the American vinyl, but knowing that Steve's and Kevin's names are there is enough for me :)

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Great! I just want to see this mastering come out in HiRez.

4. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I got mine yesterday. As a couple folks have previously posted, the bass on this LP is incredible - it will really give your woofers a workout. My vinyl is pretty much dead quiet. Excellent mastering and pressing job.

Mark

5. DustinTaj

DustinTaj Forum Resident

I was surprised to not see a "Because Sound Matters" sticker on this release. There was one on RHCP and on Tom Petty, but not this one. Surprised me.

I'm still amazed SH / KG are not getting proper recognition in the book for their mastering. Makes me mad.

6. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

Just bought the european XL version with SH/KG in the deadwax. My guess is that some metal parts were sent over to uk (or wherever their factory is). Vinyl is nice and thick and flat and silent.

Listening to the first side now, damn there is some bass on this record :eek:

7. Just impulse bought the vinyl of this. Can't wait! I don't have the best turntable/stereo system, but I'm sure it will still sound great.

RandelPink likes this.
  8. blitzableiter

blitzableiter Member

just got the vinyl yesterday at Amoeba... curious, how does the vinyl compare to the CD sound wise? not sure if this had been compared already...

9. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

IMHO, the CD is pretty good in comparison to most rock albums today. But the vinyl is just AMAZING.

If your average CD was 5/10, Icky Thump on CD is 8.5/10 and the vinyl is 10/10. As a comparison, I'd say Stadium Arcadium on CD is a 4/10, and on Vinyl is 9.5/10

10. blitzableiter

blitzableiter Member

:righton:

thanks bud!

11. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

The cd is mastered by Vlado Meller right? Maybe he's backed off a bit since his californication days? :confused:

And Vlado, if you're reading this, you're on the right track man! :D

jallen89 likes this.
  12. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

Anyone else getting some vocal sibliance on this one? My "track everything I throw at it"-hero the AT440MLa suddenly gave me some inner groove distortion today.

I think I need to check my alignment, and now I can't find my protractor... :(

13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'm looking on the becausesoundmatters.com web site and i can't find this record. can someone point this dummy in the right direction?

14. aviserated

aviserated New Member

I noticed excessive sibilance on the CD copy also. I wonder if Steve Hoffman noticed? What causes excessive vocal sssssssssssibilance?

15. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

I believe so.

Here's a comparison of a vinyl needle-drop (top) vs the CD (bottom) of the track CONQUEST

[​IMG]

The CD isn't much more compressed than the vinyl, but it is definitely boosted much higher resulting in tons of clipping :realmad:

16. nin

nin Forum Resident

Sonic, do you have cool edit pro? If so, take both tracks, use "group waveform normalize" under "Edit", them we can see if the CD is much more compressed

17. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

No I don't... I have audacity, and Sony Soundforge.

18. blitzableiter

blitzableiter Member

here's what I totally don't get:

clearly the White Stripes d00ds are into sound quality - otherwise why bother with the 1" master tape, sending the lot to Steve & Kevin for vinyl release, etc.

Why in the world would they then bastardize the CD release in such a way??? I just don't get it!

19. I think Elephant sounded like crap on cd. I waited two years and
    bought the vinyl iut if curiosity . . . which ticked me off
    all over again because it was a 300% improvement.

20. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Small question: I've just did a needle drop too. Is there an attack sounding like a click at the beginning of Conquest - or is it just my copy?

Thanks,
    Martin

21. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

KG + SH @ RTI

22. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Great mind. But we knew that!

23. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

WOW!

Just got home from a local cd/dvd chain near my house (jb-hi fi) and they had a few copies of IT on vinyl for only $28 AUD!

I cant believe it! I just bought two :) :) :) :) :)

24. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

JB Hi-Fi stocks it?? JB Hi-Fi? That's it, I'm heading there tomorrow.

25. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Mate, I couldnt believe it either!!!!
    Yes JB! You know, the place where you go for cheap dvd's and nothing else!!! :goodie: :goodie:

Hahah, made my day

Glad I could help someone out!

$28 bargain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.