The White Stripes "Icky Thump" new LP, adventures in mastering: 1" tape breakthrough!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandonh

brandonh Forum Resident

IT'S ON IT'S WAY

Mine Shipped Friday, 15-Jun should be here tomorrow.

2. bw

bw Forum Resident

I have it. At one point i thought the kick drum sounded like a bass guitar. It really thunders. Distortion is not how I would describe it. I will say that this is one of the best sounding recods I've ever herad. You will be floored.

3. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

I've just picked the European vinyl, which is released on XL Recordings.

I'm not 100 % sure but it looks (and sounds) like this pressing also used the work of our dynamic duo.

Here's for instance what I can find on the dead wax of "Side Uno":

XLLP271 (the European reference, natürlich)
    B7910193-01 A1
    15605.1 (3)
    1-162940-A (stroke and it's the US reference)
    KG + SHeAT (?) (well, that's a pity. The first autograph I get and it's not very readable)

4. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

that last line looks like it indicates it is indeed from Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. Perhaps the e is an @, so it says "Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman @ AcousTech"?

Pretty neat.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I picked up Icky Thump Saturday, and it SOUNDs spectacular. Unfortunately, I wasn't very observant, and realized I'd gotten a copy with a smashed corner after I got home.

I caught the smashed corner on the Arcade Fire, though was unable to find a perfect one, so settled for the best they had.

6. brandonh

brandonh Forum Resident

Warner Bros Icky Thump Arrived

Well the record came in yesterday.
    The first thing I can say is WOW!

If using the 1 inch tape is going to be the wave of the future then great, if not then it should be.

This album has the most dynamic range I have ever heard in my life on any vinyl pressing from an analog master tape.
    Even the Direct to Discs records will be hard presses to match the dynamics the 1" tape 2 track master can reproduce.
    Now, I said the D2D will be hard pressed, because I still do not think any pressing is more superior than D2D...IMO.

OK Back to the Record...
    The artwork is beautiful and the cover is a sturdy gate fold.
    It had a unique red seal (like the ones on a cigar box) that clasps the gate fold cover together that will have to be cut to get to the vinyl inside.

So, I carefully cut directly in the center of the seal in order to fold and stick the same equal amount into the inside of the front and back of the gate fold cover.
    I recommend not attempt to peal off this seal for the adhesive may pull off the artwork with it.

The 180g vinyl is pressed lovingly onto 4 sides and is perfectly flat and very quiet.
    Inside is a lyrics insert and the sleeves are poly lined.

I wont go into too much detail on each song because all of them are new, will say the musical genre is an eclectic mix and is interesting to listen to.

If your a bass nut then this album will rock your woofers hard with little effort, the guitar and percussion are as real as it gets and Jacks voice is right up front and clear as a bell.
    In one song Meg is tapping the drum sticks together and they sound exactly like that like that, wooden drum sticks being tapped together very real very...

I hope to hear more vinyl that is cut from a 1 inch 2 track master tape soon and expect that this is the wave of the future.

Its just really cool to see new technology like this being applied to todays vinyl.

7. bw

bw Forum Resident

I really got a kick out of that. The stick-clicks are placed in the mix so that they sound almost like she's doing it over her head in the air. When I heard it, I could almost envision her doing it.

It's very cool, and this album is loaded with moments like that.

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Is the European vinyl also a 2LP set?

9. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Does anyone around Detroit have the vinyl in stock? I'm I can order it but I'm impatient.;)

10. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Try Record Time in Roseville, that's where I got my copy. They had at least 10.

Kerm likes this.
  11. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Thanks.:righton:

12. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

w00t, called a local record store, said he'd put one aside for me when it comes in, gonna be about $25-$28 CAD, so not too expensive at all (I was worried it would be at least $10 more)

13. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Yes, it is. No difference with the US release, apart from the logos. The booklet is exactly the same, with the same erroneous credits for mastering (they name the guy in charge of the CD version).

14. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

My LP is due in tomorrow from AcousticSounds. Can't wait to hear it - I listened to the CD and really enjoyed the music and the array of sounds Jack gets from his guitar.

Mark

15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Thanks. Order placed.

16. brandonh

brandonh Forum Resident

Hey I noticed that too.

17. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

You won't be disappointed. Sonically, it's so good, it should be made compulsory in magazines as the ultimate test for low frequencies. As I understand, this album on CD is like watching a movie as a good quality DVD. The vinyl is like getting your own 70 mm film copy.

18. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

So, I walked into Vinyl Fever (local record store) earlier today with the intent to buy this album on CD. I've never heard anything by the White Stripes, but a friend recommended them to me, so I figured, 'why not?'. Somehow, I ended up walking out with the album on vinyl. I've been looking for something mastered by Steve for a while (this will be my first), so I decided this would be a good place to start. It also came with a free 7" picture disc (my first). I guess I live a sheltered life.

I haven't opened it yet, as I am still debating how I will go about breaking the seal.

19. bw

bw Forum Resident

Break the seal as fast as you can and get this sucker on your turntable. This record is meant to be played. It's a sonic masterpiece.

(well, actually just make a clean cut down the middle of the seal. I've heard that peeling does not work. Don't let the sticker stop you from hearing this gem)

20. surfingelectrode

Already did. I slid a knife down the center and put the cut ends inside their respective slots.

Am I the only one who cannot put the sleeves back into the jacket? As silly as this sounds, I cannot for the life of me get the lyrics insert and empty sleeve back into the jacket.

21. bw

bw Forum Resident

It's tight. I keep the insert between the gatefold and put the whole thing back in the plastic bag.

You picked a good one for your 1st Hoffman master. Enjoy.

22. surfingelectrode

Good idea.

I just started side two and I like it a lot so far.

23. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

On the other Icky Thump thread it was mentioned there are difference in content between the cd and vinyl. I just got tie vinyl and it sounds excellent but I'd love to to hear if Steve was aware that he was mastering a slightly different version of this album. Apparently "Rag and Bone" is minus Meg's vocal
    on the vinyl. There are guitar discrepancies as well. I don't mind having extra parts on the vinyl but less? Steve, any idea on this?

24. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Just a quick question..

Is the SH/KG mastering on all lp releases? Or just the US version...

A post earlier on in the thread suggests the UK is different, but on the last two pages, people have been saying otherwise....

25. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I thought TWS were still on Third Man Records label in the UK, Warner just in the US. Would that affect mastering in any way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.