The White Stripes "Icky Thump" new LP, adventures in mastering: 1" tape breakthrough!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Is the currently available icky thump mastered by you?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No idea.

3. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

From what I can gather, yes, still a SH KG Master.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Somewhere I have a roll of European promo posters for this album when originally released. If you would like one gratis shoot me a PM.

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yes for the edition on sale in shops. The just-released Vault member (coloured vinyl) and future widepsread general reissue (black vinyl) is newly remastered, and the first album to be pressed at Third Man's new pressing plant.

Thread on new version here:
    Third Man Records Vault #33 (White Stripes Icky Thump Reissue)

gonz likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The first Vault title pressed at Third Man. They’ve been releasing albums for some time.

7. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

So I just got a brand new, 2007 UK XL 2LP version of Icky Thump. Once again - great work Steve and Kevin - an outstanding sounding record!

Before I tossed the CD out of the window, I did a quick comparison with the LP. At first it wasn't the night and day difference I was expecting, but after a few minutes the obvious advantages of the LP are clear. Loud parts and crescendos burst through the speakers, whereas on the CD they just sort of implode into a raspberry sound (for example, the DA da DAA punctuations in the title track). On the LP the guitars squeal loud and true, whereas on the CD, lead guitar seems to be accompanied by a distracting rattling sound on the right channel (see Cream Soda). The bass drum is massive enough on the LP to fill the low end without being swampy, whilst on the CD it sounds like a fat bloke being hit around his stomach with a bit of trout.

This will join the small group of LPs I roll out when I want to show off my system. I would highly recommend this to anyone - more importantly because the music is great as well. It's a shame that this album isn't spoken about as much as the White Stripes' other efforts. 'You don't know what love is' is the one of the most brutal relationship-gone-wrong songs I have ever heard (I wonder what Meg must have thought when Jack played her that one?) And on Cream Soda, they sound like a two person, 1930s version of Metallica.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.