The Walking Dead on AMC (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It reminded me of the shotgun weapon in the old PC game "Doom" you could blast through 50 rounds with virtual no reload time require. :D

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's funny, I'm much more of a liberal in "real life" but when it comes to the Zombie Apocalypse, I find myself leaning much more towards Shane's hard nosed, pragmatic perspective. I was literally yelling at Rick to leave the wounded Randall behind when the zombies were approaching and I often found Dale's lectures to be tiresome and irrelevant. Obviously, the show's creators feel that it's important to have this debate and though the writing maybe wasn't always up to the task of selling both sides of the argument effectively, I can see what they're getting at.

3. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

You don't say!

Nothing in science fiction is real, but the best works in the genre have used an alien setting to explore relevant social, political, and psychological issues. In case you haven't figured it out yet, The Walking Dead is not about zombies, it's about how human beings deal with a threat to their way of life. As the creator of the comic said, it could've been a devastating earthquake - the zombie apocalypse is just a way to put these characters in an situation where the core concerns of the human condition can be examined.

Robert Kirkman disagrees.

4. Tristero

Well put. It's not just mindless escapism, that's kind of the point of the genre.

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I agree. It has become cartoonish to the point that Steven Segal would be impressed. Unlimited ammo that doesn't miss. I need one of those magic shells next time I hit the range. :D

After the second to last episode I commented to a friend that we now have teleporting zombies that appeared out of nowhere. Rick, Shane, Darrel, and Glen just walked all over those woods without seeing a zombie. Suddenly there is a huge pack of walkers materializing right where they just walked.
    Beem me down Scotty.

I see they tried to explain them in the opening of the next episode but it didn't work for me.

Back to the shooting, the scene of Glen successfully hitting moving targets from a moving position had me laughing. Juxtapose that with a couple episodes back of Top Shot where a semi-pro shooter laughed at himself after missing a 6" target from 15 feet under no stress while standing still.

Then throw in Carl who has been shooting for a day, takes out a 6" target, zombie Shane, over Ricks shoulder, in the dark, at 30 feet.
    Good luck with that William Tell.

It's a comic book for sure.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you get it my friend...:righton: we're talking a fantasy world. Sometimes people just can't separate the two...

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hershel must have had a 300 round shotgun there...

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I agree with this - and the earlier post about feeling like being back playing Doom/Quake again during that scene. Those were the days... *sigh*

9. Tristero

Sorry, though I wasn't crazy about the way they wrote Dale's character this season and tend to lean towards a more hard nosed view in post apocalyptic scenarios, I agree with subatomica09: The Sci Fi/Horror genre often creates fantastic situations as a creative way of dealing with very real moral/social dilemmas. Clearly, the philosophical conflict between Dale (and to a lesser degree, Rick) and Shane was central to the shows overarching theme--namely, is it essential for people to hold on to their humanity and values in the face of this kind of crisis or is it enough just to survive at any cost. Maybe the creators of the show didn't always handle it as well as they could have, but I don't think this question can be ignored, no matter how preachy Dale got.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, that bothered me, too. If they had just had a montage of the kid practicing target-shooting, it would've helped.

11. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

12. subatomic09

Oh please. How passive aggressive. I can separate the two perfectly well.

13. Michael

that's great! BUT, why do people have to interject real world values into a World gone mad? Can you honestly say what you would do? In reality none of us can.:)
    Play nice my friend...:)

14. Michael

you know anything is possible in comic books, movies and TV shows! :thumbsup:

15. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Where's Carl?

16. Michael

go ahead...pick on the kid!:laugh:

17. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I can't tell if you're arguing against one side of the ethical dilemmas presented, or if you're really saying you don't believe the show is posing these values questions each week. :confused:

I think it's obvious these questions are being raised. It's a classic dystopia.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The poor kid is turning into Wesley from Star Trek: Next Generation!

19. Michael

nice try.;)...just enjoy the show for what it is...:laugh:

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Did anyone actually count his shots? I suppose he could have reloaded whenever the camera cut away. But aren't there shotguns that can hold up to 22 rounds?

21. Michael

not the pump shotgun he was using...an automatic shotgun maybe...like the one Terry Crews used in the Expendables...

22. subatomic09

Your condescending emoticons and replies are just making you look worse and worse, considering you seem to be the only one who doesn't get it. It's really funny in light of the many complaints I've read about how ham-fisted and obvious the show's ethical dilemmas are, and yet they're flying right over your head! :laugh:

Just a few articles I found on page 1 of Google.

23. Michael

Yes, I am the only one who doesn't get it...therefore please leave me be.:shh:

move on...

24. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I wonder how this will look on display in the family room? ;) The Walking Dead Season 2 limited edition blu ray set.

Attached Files:

25. Michael

geez, that's a crummy package...the same for DVD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.