The Velvet underground & Nico – what have I bought?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mad shadows, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Anybody know about these 4 Men With Beard pressings?

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

They're selling OK here, but then I often sell out of VU and Nico. Everyone wants one. The Scorpios are almost indistinguishable from the original Verves in sound, except the vinyl is much quieter. This is not an audiophile recording to say the least.

4MWB are sort of the US version of Simply Vinyl. They're putting out records because they can, but aren't too picky about sources and 'keeping it analog' like the more serious (and more expensive) vinyl providers. They do put out some hard to find titles (e.g. the recent Scott Walker sets) as well as regular fare that's not too hard to find. I don't know of too many of their titles being great, but my friend swears the Television disc trounces the original first pressing he has.

3. haste

haste Forum Resident

The 4MWB pressings are just OK. VU & Nico and VU are decent & listenable, but White Light/White Heat is a bit miserable sounding, no real presence, very digital and flat. I assume they're all digitally sourced, you'd be better off tracking down the 80s analog reissues of the first 3 albums, and an original VU & Loaded. I know I will be eventually.

4. peter

peter Senior Member

This thread demonstrates why it is so important to do your homework. Presently, there appear to be in print VU LP's from:

Scorpio, both in black & colored vinyl (VU; WL/WH' 3rd Album; Loaded; Max's; 1969 Live)
    (The mono is on black vinyl; Initally, the stereo colored vinyl was supposed to be "limited" to 500 copies (all the dealers in 1999 advertised it as such) yet it is still availble!
    4MWB (VU; Another View; and now it appears, the first 3 as well)
    Vinyl Lovers (I can't keep track)

5. haste

haste Forum Resident

yeah.. a definite surplus of reissues and pretty much all junk.

6. peter

peter Senior Member

Indeed. In particular the yellow vinyl VU&N LP is unlistenable. My UK 1982 copy, cat. no. Verve Deluxe 2490 159 (cat. no. on back cover) KILLS it. Strangely, the cat. no. on the actual record is 2315 056A.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

My copy has ONLY the 2315 numbers in the dead wax, FWIW.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I have to absolutely disagree with you on that one as far as the first album goes. My first vinyl copy was the Scorpio version which I replaced with a 70's third pressing (1st unpeelable banana) that was much better in terms of presence and immediacy. That copy was subsequently replaced by an original pressing which had a breath and weight absent from any reissues I've heard. One that was pretty close was the recent 200g Japanese pressing, it was pressed on quieter vinyl, with similar tonality but lacked the depth and realism that the original has. It may not be audiophile recording but every vinyl pressing I've heard has a noticeably different sound.

9. Daniel Plainview

I did as much homework as I could before I made the purchases. I got anxious and didn't want to keep waiting for find the LPs on eBay for a reasonable price. My V.U. enthusiast friend said that the current non-colored pressings were fine, so I went ahead and rolled the dice, especially since Circuit City was selling them for only $13.99 a shot. If I ever stumble upon earlier pressings at a garage sale or something I'll waste no time snatching them up.

What's the story with "Loaded" though? The pressing I just bought from Circuit City is on Cotillion label. It has absolutely no information anywhere on it regarding it being a re-release. Its packaging is idenitical to the orignial. Doesn't even have a barcode. Strange. It doens't sound half bad to my ears. What kind of track record does Cotillion have with vinyl reissues?

10. peter

peter Senior Member

I had a U.S. Loaded, bought new in 1982. Replaced it with a UK red/green Atlantic label copy which was a re-issue. It killed the U.S. Then, I acquired an orig. UK plum/orange label Atlantic copy. Better still.

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Add in the Back to Black issue (w/peelable banana).

I keep hoping that an early blue Verve will beat my copies of the reissue, but none have so far, mono or stereo. Fortunately, they're also worth a lot more. Within my memory the bins used to have a fine choice of copies, e.g. with all the different cover variations at one time. I have to fight for copies now :)

12. peter

peter Senior Member

Mikey, too true of almost anything these days. The vinyl comes in, the vinyl goes out.

When you hear stories of wealthy actors trolling UK stores, you know how serious this "hobby" has become.

13. Daniel Plainview

This vinyl edition of "Loaded" on Cotillion uses the non-extended version of "Sweet Jane". Is that a good sign that the record might be analogue sourced?

14. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

AFAIK, the extended version of "Sweet Jane" has never made it onto vinyl. If I'm indeed right, I have no idea what that means...

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It might mean they used the common single disc CD for their transfer...
    Save your money and get an original....

16. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

I bought mine in 1974 maybe 75. The cover is manufactured in the UK - Verve 2315 056 Super. Then label says MGM Manufactured in the U.S.A and distributed by Polydor. Matrix numbers are 2315 056 A 1 and 2315 o56 B 2, STERLING etched on both sides. What have I got? Never compared it to another version...

17. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

How does the 80s CD of VU & Nico compare to later reissues. Any good? I've never owned this album in any form. I'm seeing a used copy of the 80s CD and might pick it up.....

18. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i just bought one here in france and i agree : it's damn good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.