SH Spotlight The True Story of the "INTO THE MYSTIC" mixing goof on Van Morrison's MOONDANCE album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yes, sir. They are still around. I just picked it up off of Amazon about 3 weeks ago.

Editorial Reviews
    Mastered from the original analog master tapes by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering and pressed on 180-gram vinyl. Moondance links together elements of gospel, rhythm & blues, jazz and rock as only the ultra-talented singer from Belfast can. Tunes like "Crazy Love," "Moondance" and "These Dreams of You" have become classics. No wonder music critics have always rated this album one of Morrison's finest. 1. Stoned Me 2. Moondance 3. Crazy Love 4. Caravan 5. Into the Mystic 6. Come Running 7. These Dreams of You 8. Brand New Day 9. Everyone 10. Glad Tidings

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FSPD22/ref=tmm_vnl_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

There is still a European pressing (KG/SH in the deadwax) available over here.

Attached Files:

3. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

An amazing original post and story for how one song on one well-known album had such a circuitous route. The test pressing and remix orders are fascinating all for one release.

Looking at my Who collection and how it has ballooned over the years from the great discoveries and info from SHF posts and posters, I would love to hear stories of how many of their rarities end up on hard-to-find CDs and vinyl I end up hunting down. Probably some similar stories to this, pulling wrong tape, misidentified masters, etc. Like Steve's "Do Not Use" Who's Next!!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Reopened by request. Should never have been closed in the first place.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

So from the original post the album had:

And It Stoned Me (mixed 12/23/69)
    Moondance (mixed 12/23/69, 12/30/69, 1/5/70)
    Crazy Love (mixed 12/23/69, 12/30/69)
    Caravan (mixed 12/17/69)
    Into The Mystic (mixed 12/10/69, 12/30/69, 1/5/70)

Come Running (mixed 12/23/69)
    These Dreams Of You (mixed 12/17/69, 12/30/69)
    Brand New Day (mixed 12/23/69)
    Everyone (mixed 12/23/69)
    Glad Tidings (mixed 12/23/69, 12/30/69, 1/5/70)

Did those early mixes turn up on the Moondance 5-CD set?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Don't look at me, I have NO idea. I know that WB has (or had) a lot of stuff on Moondance. I can't remember now if it was all multis or some rejected mixes. As a rule old reject mixes are razor bladed (in case they are used by mistake..) Not always though.

pbuzby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.