The Smiths Rough Trade questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

The 10” LPs were not released by Rough Trade. They were released in 1993 by WEA at the same time as they released their CD versions. I don’t know anything about the sound though. I have the 10” of the first album somewhere and also the original UK Rough Trade LP. Maybe I do a shootout someday.

2. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Thanks! OK, that is good news! :righton:

On another note mine does not rip the 1st track, there is Sync error. :realmad:

Call me crazy but has anyone done a comparison of the gold cd vs the silver? The silver one seems a hair narrower in its stereo image, not sure its my imagination though. :sigh:

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've had that problem with other bronzed discs. It may not be good news, it might be the beginning of the end for that disc. It's hard to say. :shrug:

Or, you might not have EAC set up properly for a secure rip. Try adjusting your gap detection settings. Check out this tutorial:

http://www.CardinalFang.com/eac/

If all else fails, try it in Burst Mode. It won't be secure, but perhaps you won't get any audible errors.

4. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Hey Keith, thanks for the info .. not being an EAC expert, I have it set up at the default settings .. I would to be able to get a full reading of that track .. the rest are all fine. I'll check out that tutorial.

Charles

5. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I have a copy of the gold version of Strangeways and it has about 4 or 5 pinholes forming in it. It skips in the car player, but doesn't in others and oddly enough it will rip ok without any glitches in XLD.

6. JoeV

JoeV Forum Resident

Charles,

Do Not worry. The first pressings of that disc were gold colored. It is NOT bronzing! :)

Best,
    Joe

7. JoeV

JoeV Forum Resident

Charles,

Do Not worry. The first pressings of that disc were all gold colored. It is NOT bronzing! :)

Best,
    Joe

8. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Whheeewww! A SECOND VALIDATION! :goodie:

Well, having never seen a bronzed CD when I saw it and knowing its over 20 years old I had some concerns but now I'm much more happy.

I love this place, where else could someone find this type of information out!

And the thing is, I think I hear a very very slight audible difference between the gold and silver pressed MPO discs. The gold seems to have a slightly wider stereo image but again someone else might not hear any difference at all.

9. JoeV

JoeV Forum Resident

I have both (gold and silver) and I agree that the gold sounds a little nicer. It's been a while since I listened but the difference was there. The silver is a later pressing.

Joe

10. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Well, cool, I guess I should trust my ears more often!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.