The Smiths - Complete box set coming from Rhino in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Im gonna buy the cd box anyway. I wish i could buy a brand new copy of the rough trades ones instead...

2. Will the CD box have the original versions of The Smiths (i.e. without This Charming Man) and Meat Is Murder (i.e. without How Soon Is Now)?

3. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

"The Smiths" is slated to include This Charming Man but "Meat is Murder" will not have How Soon is Now.

4. Well that's rubbish then ain't it, why can't they just have the original tracklisting I mean it's not hard surely!

5. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Maybe because the studio version of This Charming Man would then not be anywhere in the box. Only the radio session would be represented. HSIN is on Hatful of Hollow.

6. toffee

toffee Forum Resident

it's also not hard to gather up the few b-sides that are not on any album and put them on one of the complication albums either, but these clowns are not doing that.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It is frustrating, the could have simply added a rarities disc and then include every single Smiths track released. Although disc 2 of Sound of The Smiths is a bit like a rarities disc.

Perhaps there is some legal reason.

Anyway, those quibbles aside, for a Smiths fan the box is wonderful and pretty good value given the number of discs.

8. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Is there going to be a non deluxe version of this set? Sorry if this has been asked already :)

9. toffee

toffee Forum Resident

i just noticed i made a typo in my posting "complication" not "compilation". Freudian! but yes, it could well be legal, and it is only a few songs. Just frustrating when they call it "complete".

Can't argue with the value for the CD set, and my pre-order is already in.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean. How could there be a non-deluxe version? It's just all the albums, singles and cds in one big box. I don't see how they could package all that in a different way.

There is a cd only set and an album set.

11. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

glad I pre-ordered

13. Right well, I've seen the deluxe set advertised on the HMV website, and it does show that for the tracklisting of 'The Smiths' that it doesn't have This Charming Man on it, but other websites e.g. Rhino say it does, i'm confused now

14. andylsun

andylsun New Member

Ordered, and my sister-in-law will bring it over to the US at Christmas. 8 CD's for 34.99 is a pretty good deal - Got all of them on Rough Trade UK Vinyl, but not on CD.

15. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Oh ok, I thought the vinyl and CDs were all part of the same box. Even so, a cheaper packaged album version with non album single tracks might have been possible. Most people don't have £200 plus to throw about these days, fans or not.

16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Where are you seeing it for 34.99? Or is that in pounds sterling?

17. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

18. andylsun

andylsun New Member

Should have clarified, but yes, Pounds sterling.

sorry for the confusion.

19. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

wow that is dirt cheap on amazon.ca! I have it preordered on amazon.UK but I just preordered from .ca because it saves me over $100.

edit: thank you for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. That's a bloody bargain, even with Special Courier delivery, it works out at about £132, got mine ordered when I worked that out

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I SWEAR YOU GUYS ARE NOT GOING TO PRESSURE ME INTO BUYING THIS!!!!

(okay, I might buy it)

22. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

23. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I'm so tempted and if I hadn't already bought the 4 albums on rhino vinyl and the singles box I would have jumped on this. The CD's will have to do me.

24. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Ok found the CD only version of this now on Amazon UK for £32.99. That will have to do for me.

25. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.