The Smiths - Complete box set coming from Rhino in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

The Complete Picture DVD
    Code to download catalogue as high-quality MP3s

again?? FGS!

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

SERIOUSLY.

If there was a DVD of actual live TV performances (not the mimed stuff on here) or whatever, they would have had my money already. Or if they upgraded this DVD to Blu-Ray even. But I've had Complete Picture since the VHS days.

3. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Ouch. It's now increased by £40 on Amazon. I would probably have bought this 2 - 3 years ago when the vinyl of the core albums were released and when the remastering was done but I'm not spending that kind of money on music now. Especially not after buying the 4 core albums individually.

I know there is concern about the remastering but what keeps me optimistic about some decent remasters is the vinyl and the included downloads sounded good to me. The downloads weren't as loud as the Sound of the Smiths.

4. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

l would like to order this from Amazon UK but dont seem to be able to find it :confused: Can anyone help with a link?

Cheers mondie

5. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I recall vividly the day I bought my first Smiths cd (Singles) and in looking over the liner notes, being baffled by the confusing discography. It made almost no sense and these new releases aren't likely to rectify things...

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

8. Smiths22

40 pounds more??? ouch! thanks God i'm not planning to buy that.

Really? that was my first one too, 1993.....

9. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

prematurely...

10. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

yeah, and the shipping is much more reasonable then straight from the rhino UK store. order total for me is £221.48 or ~364USD according to google's currency converter. still expensive.

11. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

12. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Just pre-ordered, and it looks like Amazon have reduced the price again. My total was £185.83 with free shipping.

I must say that for 8 CD's, 11 LP's, 25 45's and a DVD, that's not too bad. Getting the art prints, the booklet and the poster + the whole catalogue as MP3's is a nice bonus as well.

I've been holding out for a box like this for years. The only Smiths I own on vinyl is a Sire Louder Than Bombs. I've also got all the 1993 WEA remasters on CD (plus Singles and The Very Best Of), and have never been particularly happy with them. I loved the sound on the singles box Rhino put out (haven't heard the LP's), so I'm optimistic about the sound on this one. I also have The Complete Picture on DVD already, but maybe this has some extra material?

I know I could spend 5 years (or more) collecting the Rough Trade originals, but I'd rather spend those years enjoying the music. This band has meant so much to me, so the box will in a way work as my personal Smiths-altar. :angel:

13. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

nice, just checked my order status and my order total declined to £188.91 shipped. gotta love the amazon preorder price guarantee.

14. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Mine hasn't, must be the free shipping to Australia's fault :)

15. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

cancelled my Rhino order and got a fairly swift refund.

pre-ordered from Amazon.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I appreciate the info in this thread. I cancelled my Rhino pre-order and pre-ordered from Amazon - and saved something like 120 pounds.

17. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Forum Resident

Is there any place to order the cd only box from?

18. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I see that the Rhino site now says the deluxe box is now "strictly limited" to 4,000 copies. Must be selling well already.

It's now listed at amazon.ca for $390 CDN. With taxes and free domestic shipping that's about $440 CDN. Still cheaper by about $140 to buy it from Amazon UK.

It's $367 on amazon.com.

19. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

20. Smiths22

21. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

22. hutlock

OH GOOD. I hope the US price is better...

23. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

My hope exactly, though I still only plan to buy the cd set. I do wish it was possible to get the digital files of the singles that fall after the Singles box set, if not proper cds of them.

24. Smiths22

Each has been taken back to original tape sources and remastered by master-engineer Frank Arkwright, assisted by Johnny Marr at the world famous Metropolis Studios in London.
    http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/products,the-smiths-complete-cd-boxset_39765.htm

So it's the same sound of the smiths work..... if you've already had the mp3 files released a few years ago you already know the sound of these albums...

Now, which is worst? this mastering or the wea germany ones? start the chatting!

25. hutlock

I'll wait to actually hear these releases first before speculating, even with that information you posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.