The Smiths - Complete box set coming from Rhino in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Dude, why tell people something is brickwalled when it clearly isn't? The remastered vinyl has been given some positive reviews here and is the work of the same engineer. The Sound of the Smiths is louder than I would like but the EQ is pretty good and there is a chance, however slim that the remasters could be released with less compression.

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I discovered from another discussion that there is no official definition of "brickwalled", so different people look at what the word means differently. With that said, I wouldn't say the Sound of the Smiths is brickwalled from the single graph from the other thread, but 7 dB from the offline TT dynamic range meter is terrible as far as dynamics go. The individual released UK RT and even the US Sire CDs are mastered much better than that.

3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Distorted, unpleasant, whatever you want to call it, not good for the ears!! Next remasters are gonna be the same or less...

4. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I like my Very Best Of Uk comp released in 2000.Better resolution then the original cds and most likely less compression then The Sound of The Smiths Rhino comp (although I must admit I haven't actually heard it myself)

5. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Forum Resident

I wonder what happened to the remasters that Stephen Street had been working on ... he talked about it on his website a few years ago.

6. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

order from Rhino UK and your card gets charged straightaway! :(

7. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

They'll surely be louder than bombs and I will pass.

The one good thing about this is perhaps we'll see more of those RT CDs popping up in the bins.

8. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

Another reason I love amazon. Is there any other music merchant that doesn't charge right away?

9. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

Is it this one?

User reviews are all over the map, as usual (welcome to the internets!)...

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

And as usual, it's all subjective. :agree: one person's "dull" is another person's "natural."

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Mine was made in Argentina, is it a fake? :sigh:

12. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yep,it's that one.

13. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

i've got quite a lot of money so I'll just send him a cheque to redress this imbalance.

14. Smiths22

i don't like used...

I've already have the germany ones plus the japanese replicas 2006, im still thinking about buying these 2011, are they gonna be better or worst??... i mean remastered by Marr?? that's a must... well i wonder

[​IMG]

15. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

I thought "brickwalled" meant that the sound is soooo bad it causes pain about equal to having your balls smashed against a wall with a brick. hmmm....there are other definitions?

16. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Usually I equate brickwalling with an extreme lack of dynamics. But your definition works if the brickwalled source is played too loudly.

:D

But the 2nd one here isn't really brickwalled:

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Brickwalled I think means literally the wave file actually looks like a brick wall - one complete block of sound.

I agree the wave above does not look brickwalled but some of the peaks have been squashed to make the music louder. If this is done with care it's not too bad and won't ruin anyone's enjoyment.

It's crazy as I have seen threads here where people have said they have enjoyed a certain cd, then someone posts a wave and they change their mind. Trust your ears not some graph surely to tell you if you like the sound of something.

The vast majority of stuff in this deluxe boxset is vinyl so I can't imagine they will mess with that too much. And apart from the core albums we are getting a lot of stuff on vinyl that has not been available on that format for some time.

18. tomd

tomd Senior Member

good points!

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Now listed on Amazon UK at £30 cheaper.

20. Smiths22

I agree with you. :wave:

Sounds distorted, ok not brickwalled but some tracks sound distorted not a good mastering.

21. Smiths22

I agree with you. :wave:

Sounds distorted, ok not brickwaller but some tracks sound distorted not a good mastering. However other tracks sound cleaner though...

22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I pre-ordered.

23. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Of the 7" singles, this one:

21. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out b/w Half A Person

is definitely the French "boy with lollipop" sleeve - you can see it on the top of the 45 pile in the pic on the Rhino site.

24. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Actually most UK online retailers charge at shipment. Play.com, HMV, Tesco Entertainment and many others... so Amazon is not really doing anything different.

25. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

thanks for the confirm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.