The Smiths - Complete box set coming from Rhino in October (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Well, I'm amazed. My Amazon.ca box arrived today. Perfect nick apart from 1 seem split on TWWL. $186 delivered! Bargain!

No download code though. ??? What's happening with those? Are Rhino e-mailing out to customers with missing sets?

2. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Did the sticker on the shrinkwrap of your box say anything about the download being included? If not, you most likely didn't get a download card. It seems the download cards were only available in boxes made for the UK market.

3. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Not sure what you mean? My box set from Amazon.ca had a download card.

4. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Mine arrived! No download card yet, but certainly not a deal-breaker -- still have to go through the whole box, of course. I was planning to needle drop the vinyl, regardless.

5. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

No mention of it on the box. Not too fussed. I've said before, I bought this set as a casual listener hoping to explore the back catalogue in more detail. If I'm that bothered after going through everything I can always neddledrop.

6. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Yours may be the exception that proves the rule. It does seem like the majority of sets bought in North America don't have the download card but this may be wrong.

7. Thurenity

Mine is #3348 and no download code to be found yet (Amazon.ca order).

8. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

The sticker on the outside of my box (Amazon.ca order) makes no reference to a download code.

9. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Ditto. I tweeted him my well wishes earlier.

10. sf74

sf74 Active Member

On the big sticker that was on the shrinkwrap, some mention the "High Quality Download" included in the box but some don't. The sticker on mine said nothing about the download being included but I saw an eBay auction where the sticker had verbiage about the downloads. I'm assuming that boxes specifically imported for North America have the sticker without the mention of the downloads. Perhaps Amazon Canada sent you a box from the original UK batch?

11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I think two or three people on this thread have mentioned getting "Canadian Specials" with download cards...? Mistermono, Carl Hoffmann, and grouploner?

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

First person who purchased the box from Amazon US, and did not receive a download card, to post in this thread can have my download code. The CDs and LPs are enough for me; I'm not particularly interested in the downloads.

13. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i'll take it. PM me :righton:

14. Thurenity

:thumbsup: Nice gesture. It's stuff like this that makes me happy to be part of this community.

(and definitely falls within fair use imo, since Driver 8 is offering up to someone who bought a boxed set but didn't get a code)

No verbage on mine, either. The singles are going to take awhile to needle drop, I think - need a day or two just for those! :) 192kps would have been a turn-off, anyway.

So far my one needle drop (TQID) is a little better DR than the CD - but it's hard to really hear the difference, so far.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

PM sent.

16. sf74

sf74 Active Member

thanks again

17. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

I bought mine from amazon.com (US) The sticker does mention the downloads and it did come with the download card. The back of my booklet says 2011 Rhino UK. So, I guess mine was imported from the UK to the US thru amazon.com (US) and I selected Free Shipping and got Free Shipping. #339 Guess I got really lucky. :)

18. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

My box from Amazon.ca also had the download code.

19. edkall

edkall Forum Resident

My box from Amazon.ca had the download card included. The sticker also indicated the code was included.

20. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Such a great gest! :righton:

#3370 arrived today from Amazon.ca without download card. Everything indicates a UK made product, so my pet theory is that the final 750 (#3251 to #4000) was "downgraded" for the North-American market, and comes without it.

Although I was hoping to get the downloads, I feel like I have no right to complain. This is quite possibly the single greatest bargain of my life, and the box only had one single small dent in the upper right corner, not affecting the content. The Meat Is Murder-cover has a tiny bend in the corner - that's it. Worst packaging I've seen from Amazon, though. A miracle it went so well.

Compared the Sire Louder Than Bombs-cover, and they definitely didn't try to replicate the original here. The new one is much darker, is made from less solid cover material, and has different fonts/placement of text. That being said - one might argue that it actually looks better.

Haven't played anything yet, but have taken everything out of the box apart from the prints/poster and booklet. Me = happy! :goodie:

21. Gems-A-Bems

Mine was #2512 and didn't have a download card.

22. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

The best they would offer is 20% refund and keep the item, or send it back for a full refund.

I took the 20% refund, as I can probably sell all the LPs for $10-$15 each even with the bent corners and seam splits, and keep the 7" singles and the CDs, and come out at about zero expense.

So a little more effort, but it's probably worth it.

23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

They gave me 25% refund. That was after the 2nd cust service dude tried to offer 15% refund.

My issue is the split top right hand corner of the box, the rest is pwrfect. I would have preferred a replacement, but that was not going to happen since it is sold out.

24. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Oh, okay! Well, there goes that theory. :shrug:

25. Gems-A-Bems

What was your response from Rhino? I just received a message from them claiming it's Amazon's fault and to get in contact with Amazon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.