The Smiths - Complete box set coming from Rhino in October (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

SHIPPED!! :)

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Congrats! Glad to hear you are getting your copy.

3. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i can't seem to find the download card either. my box number is #3302. Anybody else around the same box set number NOT get their download card either?

4. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

My box was shipped today! I am so relieved! To all of you guys waiting: There is still hope! :goodie:

5. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Was the download code UK only? The review on the rhino.com site implies that it was.

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

No download card in mine either.

7. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I saw the review at Rhino US too, but how can there be a difference, when the boxes are all UK made? Did they specifically not include download codes in the boxes they were shipping to the US? Doesn't make sense. All of these boxes should be identical.

8. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

i got download card in my version which i got from amazon.ca

9. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Mine arrived today in Melbourne from amazon.ca - sadly for me, not happy with the product.

It all seemed okay from the outside, the package arrived in fine condition.

But when I opened it I found the following:

- Weird 40cm scratch/rub lines on the bottom (back) of the box, under the shrink though
    - Destroyed (crushed and torn) top right corner on the Hand In Glove 7", no visible cause
    - Totally unglued Reel Around the Fountain cover
    - Box full of 'paper dust', it's all over the 7" singles and on the vinyl itself
    - Severe seam splits on the right hand side of all but two LPs, in most cases the vinyl still stuck out of the split
    - Bent corners on all the prints
    - No download card

It just seems sloppy and cheap, most of these flaws are manufacturing/packing issues. And I'm by no means a perfectionist. I haven't even inspected the vinyl, all this was from a once-over of the contents. Has anyone else had problems this bad?

With the box sold out on amazon.ca I don't like my chances of getting a replacement, and it would cost $100 to send back to Canada!

Very sad day, as I have been looking forward to Smiths remasters for years.

Any suggestions?

10. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Interesting. Mine came from amazon.ca as well and no download card that I can see. Unless they are hidden in the CD jackets, which I somehow doubt.

11. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Mine is #3676, no download code card either.

Not the end of the world. I've emailed Rhino and let them know.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Bad luck.

Mine was in perfect condition, but I do have a mark on the bottom of the box. As it was shrinkwrapped I thought I had done it, but as you have it as well it seems it was there before wrapping.

Whenever I order one of these big boxes I am worried about the shipping. Amazon and whoever just treat it like it's worth £10 or something. You would think they would take some extra care over packing. I got mine from Rhino, and it shipped from Germany, in not an ideal package, it was a miracle it survived.

13. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Regarding the download card question. I've sometimes had download cards in items bought online direct from USA, that will not let me download in Australia - it works out my IP address and then says 'Nope!!!'. This isn't always the case but it does happen now and again, maybe due to regional licensing agreements. So perhaps this is why some of your boxes don't even have the download cards. Just a thought.

14. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

That's bad news, but unfortunately exactly what I am expecting of mine from amazon.ca (which just shipped last night!)

Amazon really have no idea how to ship these sort of things. You could ask why I bought it from them, and the obvious answer is the price - never been a huge Smiths fan, but I'm a music fan and thought it a great way to explore their catalogue and risk the shipping damage as I'm not a die hard.

The only thing I could suggest is, write to them and tell them the product is basically completely beaten up due to shipping and specifically ask them that they will cover the costs to return it; offer to send them pictures. They probably will refund you and tell you to keep it as there is no way they will want to pay to get something that big and heavy back from Australia (especially as they can't replace it). I will be doing the same if it arrives bashed up next week.

I've had this happen before -
    wrong Rumours 45rpm vinyl set sent me - 'sorry we will refund you - keep it it will be too expensive to send back'

24 Complete series DVD boxset - arrived with ripped cover due to next to no packaging. 'Sorry sir - we will send you a replacement - you are free to keep the damaged one or throw it away as it will be too expensive to send back'

Obviously still leaves you with a beaten up box and dissapointment , but at least you are not out on the dollars.

15. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

A few weeks ago I send back the LAYLA box from Holland to Canada.
    Amazon.ca did pay all of the return post.
    There is a special link for return goods.

16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

It sounds like the vinyl itself will be fine.

I also had splits in the top of my LP's with a bit of paper dust.

I received the download card - on top of the CD's, left corner

My front right top of the actual box was split. The entire box arrived just shoved empty in a standard Amazon box, no packing or anything. :realmad:

I asked Amazon UK to replace. they said sold out. the best they could come up with was either ship it back for full refund. I told them that from Australia to UK via cheapest Aussie post trackable for 7.5kgs was $210.90. They still said send it back before they would give a refund.

They also offered to keep the boxset and offered me a 25% refund.

I eventually took that offer as it is better than nothing :realmad:

Such is life with sold out ltd edition gear. I wil be getting the sticky tape out to repair.

17. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

I know there is a link to return goods. I am just speaking from my experience of when I tried to use it for those items.

18. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

19. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

No Download card either, CD Box set from USA

I only bought the CD Box set, but no download card either. Has anyone who just got the USA CD Box set get a download card?
    Thanks

20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

No download card in my US CD set (even though it says it was made by Rhino UK -- were even the CD sets imported from the UK on this? Looks like it might be the case).

21. El Toro Rojo

El Toro Rojo Member

+1

22. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

anybody who has a problem with their box can send it to me...i'll give you the $190 plus shipping!

23. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Would you let us know what Rhino say?

24. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Forum Resident

Why would you expect a download card in your CD Box? The download is being provided as a digital alternative for people who bought the vinyl version. The CDs are digital already!

25. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Some cd boxes do also provide a download card (the Dylan mono box is an example) so it wouldn't be that unusual but I don't think that this is the case for the Smiths cd set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.