The Police appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MusicGuy5!, Jan 3, 2022.

1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Happy Birthday Andy. Gonna play some Police now…i have the Fripp album they did together should dig that out.

longdist01 and Mother like this.
  2. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

One of the greatest bands ever:love:

poe_man, Rick H., longdist01 and 5 others like this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

4. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Awesome. I knew Beato could/would do it. Stew is one of my fave drummers. I'll have to watch it tonight.

Thanks for posting!

Regards,
    Dave

longdist01, Nightfly68 and Mal like this.
  5. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Great interview. Thanks for posting the link.

longdist01 and Mal like this.
  6. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Love The Police. I bought the Greatest Hits (‘92) on cassette with the intention of taping Every Breath You Take and then taking it back to Our Price, but found that I loved too many of the other tracks for that little deception to follow through.

I’ve got all the albums (can’t remember which mastering - certainly not the first CDs - but they sound fine), the Live two disc set from ‘95 (the Boston gig rocks, the Atlanta one doesn’t) and the Message In A Box, er, box. I’d quite like to get the Certified set at some point - I’ve heard it’s good.

Favourite album - Ghost In The Machine. Favourite song - King Of Pain

longdist01, Keith V and Fishleehooke like this.
  7. Nightfly68

That interview went by fast. I wish it had been two hours long.

longdist01 and GoodKitty like this.
  8. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

on a random whim, listened to Outlandos today. some great tracks there for sure, hard to pick a favorite, but I think I'll go with So Lonely.

will the judges take that?

:nyah:

CassetteDek, gregorya, Deibu and 2 others like this.
  9. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Great band. Saw them live 3 times. 2 in 1982 and 1 in 1983. Great concerts.

ytserush, jtsjc1, Nightfly68 and 2 others like this.
  10. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Without overthinking it, my first instinct is to say Ghost in the Machine and "Darkness" therefrom.

Love how it starts with that sliding bass. Kinda funny that my favorite Police tune wasn't written by Sting. Of course, ask me tomorrow and it could be another album/song.

11. Nightfly68

Definitley my favorite Police tune. I was hoping Stewart would get asked about this song.

12. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I didn’t appreciate the Police enough when they were around. They were really miles ahead of the competition. My two favorite albums are Regatta for the playing and Ghost in the Machine for the songs and production.

MartyVanBuren and Nightfly68 like this.
  13. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

This year is 40 years since I last saw The Police before they broke up. Feb 7,1984 at the Atlantic City Convention Center. Great show and its on youtube complete though not great sound quality.

ytserush likes this.
  14. MartyVanBuren

MartyVanBuren Former President

I was a big fan. I saw them perform in a bar on their first US outing. I had them all on vinyl.

In the last 10-15 years, I've been remining my musical past. I abandoned all of my vinyl near the Mexican border 30 years ago.

About 5 years ago, I bought their catalog on cd. I was fairly surprised that they didn't "do me like before." I do think that their place in R & R is solidly deserved, especially considering the impact they had at the time. However, it just seemed thin to me and I couldn't groove with it any longer. Of course, they're not the only 70's/80's music I feel that way about, nor is that the only period with artists I really liked and no longer do.

In most instances, the opposite has been what's happening. I've re-acquired so many artists I thought I'd never listen to again, from every decade.

Will I change the radio station on them? Never. I just don't have the desire to sit through one of their records in the dark anymore.

Marty