The Poco album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Mar 11, 2007.

1. stevef

stevef Senior Member

As long as we're still on From The Inside, I'd like to quickly say it's my favorite Poco album... the first one I ever bought. Brings back many fond memories. I heard the incredible "Bad Weather" somewhere, and that was it. Had to have this.
    The whole album is great, easily a 5/5 for me.

Steve

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  2. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

Poco
    A Good Feelin’ To Know
    October 25, 1972
    Epic Records

Side One
    And Settlin' Down (Furay)
    Ride the Country (Cotton)
    I Can See Everything (Schmit)
    Go and Say Goodbye (Stills)
    Keeper of the Fire (Cotton)

Side Two
    Early Times (Cotton)
    A Good Feelin' To Know (Furay)
    Restrain (Schmit)
    Sweet Lovin' (Furay)

Richie Furay considered A Good Feelin’ To Know to be Poco’s last best chance for major commercial success. Audience response to the title track on the prior tour was ecstatic. Poco seemed positioned to finally break through. For the sake of reference, Loggins & Messina put out their debut album in early 1972 and scored a big hit. Pure Prairie League put out their second album, Bustin’ Out, and had a hit with “Amie”. And The Eagles put out their debut album in early summer. It ultimately produced three hit singles.

Shortly after the release of A Good Feelin’ To Know, Richie began to hear “Take It Easy” everywhere. Meanwhile Poco’s sure-fire hit single “A Good Feelin’ To Know” was going nowhere. Richie couldn’t help but reflect that Glen Frey had learned well from watching Poco in their formative years. Suffice it to say, Poco did not have the big hit for which they had hoped.

A Good Feelin’ To Know was Poco’s most commercial and radio-friendly album to-date. It was more of a rock album than any of their previous efforts. The country influence was reduced to a part of Poco’s musical toolbox, to be used when needed. It would be regrettable had the album not simply been so good. “And Settlin’ Down” is one of the best album openers ever. It was Poco’s most rocking song to-date, and the most convincing rock Richie ever wrote. Paul Cotton’s “Ride The Country” is another great song. It was both rock and country and genuinely inventive. Schmit’s “I Can See Everything” was a great follow up to his previous contribution to Poco, “From The Inside”. Again, it was ballad, but showed Tim’s growth as a writer. In some other world, it would’ve been another hit single. Richie said that Poco’s “Go And Say Goodbye” was done just for fun. It’s a good performance, and arguably better than the original. However, the album may have been better served with another original. Cotton’s “Keeper Of The Fire” is a swinging country rock song with great playing and vocal arranging.

“Early Times” continues Paul’s excellent songwriting run. It has a vaguely Neil Young feel to it and some nice interplay of Cotton’s guitar and Rusty pedal steel. The hit that never was, Richie’s “A Good Feelin’ To Know” is next. It seems to have all of the elements of a hit song circa 1972, but it wasn’t a hit. It took years for Richie to get over this. He thought the label was failing the group by not properly servicing the single. In my estimation, I don’t hear a hit. It’s close, but it’s missing some essential ingredient. When I hear those three Eagles hits I can tell the difference, but I can’t pinpoint the distinction. I think “And Settlin’ Down” had more hit potential. Tim’s “Restrain” is next. It’s his first rock song on a Poco album. It has a nice laid back feel and the usual excellent musicianship and vocals. Lastly, Richie’s “Sweet Lovin” ends the album. It has a similar feel as “Kind Woman” but with more of a gospel feel. Rusty plays his pedal steel guitar as an organ in a subtle manner. It’s a good song and a great end to the album, but not among Richie’s best.

So from Poco’s perspective, A Good Feelin’ To Know was the most commercial album they could make at the time. It’s failure to make a big impression effected Richie more than the others. Richie decided that Poco couldn’t go any further and that it was time for him to move on. He spoke with David Geffen about his frustration and the seeds for The Souther-Hillman-Furay band were planted. However, Richie still planned on doing another album with Poco in a similar manner as Jim Messina had done. I could guess why A Good Feelin’ To Know wasn’t a hit, but I don’t think I would ever get it right. Either Poco was simply not properly commercial enough for mass acceptance or the label didn’t support them. Sadly, I think it was a bit of both.

4.5 stars

Note: I think that a lot of the charm of the album is in it's packaging. Thats all lost now. The cd came out with a pink cover!

Attached Files:

pablo fanques, The MEZ and 1970 like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I love this album. It's one of their best imo. It should've been more successful. I will add that Pure Prairie League's single "Amie" wasn't a hit in 1972 but in 1974 when it was reissued. :) Either way, Bustin' Out was a great album too.

I remember seeing the pink cover but my cd has the proper color. Has anyoen noticed that the title track of this one on The Forgotten Trail runs it's course rather than fades out. Not a remix either.

I will say that Poco really nailed Ride The Country on the "Live" LP. :agree:

Go And Say Goodbye is Ok but it pales to the Springfield rendition. Another original might've been better. Regardless, one of Poco's best efforts.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

This is definitely one their very best albums in my opinion...and a great country rock album period. Its even caught the ear of a some younger musician guys I know who are too young to know it first hand. The playing is outstanding. I describe this to people who aren't familiar with it as like an unpolished, less pop sounding Eagles.

The packaging is wonderful, warm... very hearth and home (just right for 1972). Textured butter nut/squash color gatefold cover, Victorian calligraphy text, a picture booklet tipped in with images that look like snaps from Woodstock...

5. 905

905 Senior Member

I like A Good Feelin' To Know almost as much as From the Inside. 4.5/5.0
    Poco is easily one of my favorite groups. However, it wasn't until last spring I first listened to their albums... I was so impressed with Poco's music I started a thread about it. The only song I recall hearing before last year was the title track. (The classic rock stations in St. Louis still play it.) As a fan, it's frustrating that A Good Feelin' to Know wasn't a big hit. I think it's very commercial...
    'And Settlin' Down' is an excellent opener. It almost sounds like it could be a Free song.
    Also, Gram Parsons is said to have called the Eagles "the poor man's Poco" around this time.

6. stevenm

stevenm New Member

A very good album, but perhaps lacking that killer single. I love the title track, but I agree that something is missing. Is it just me, or is there something odd about the percussive pattern in the last part of the song. It sounds unconventional to my ears and doesn't drive the song home. Again, I like it, but sometimes it's something like that that stops a song being a home run.

The MEZ likes this.
  7. Chief

I found that out later, while reading the review on AMG. Thanks for the correction. Was Bustin' Out a big success at the time?

I haven't heard that version in a while. Does it come to a clean end or break down? I always thought that the "galloping" end wasn't a good choice, and then we got another 30 or so seconds of it.

It's almost a completely different song. Poco took the song and basically reinvented it. The two versions are completely different animals, but I'm inclined to think they are both just as good. The Buffalo Springfield version is by Buffalo Springfield. 'Nuff said. Poco adds all the extra instrumentation and country flourishes. I still think another original would have been preferable, especially since they had "Nothings Still The Same", or even "Skunk Creek".

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Not one bad track on this LP. The band hit the hit note with this one. I got to see them live with John Mayall in Hollywood and they blew him off the stage. Richie could not stand still!!!!!

Poco was always the odd band out when it came to live shows in LA. I saw them 7 times over 7 years and only one of those concerts were they the headliners!!! They were always the opening band for some odd combnations. King Crimson, John Mayall, Genesis just to name a few. I loved POCO and I was a BIG (still am) fan of King Crimson but I just thought they would be better opening for bands like Firefall, Fleetwood Mac etc etc etc etc....

9. strick77

strick77 Member

I love this album....Side One got the grooves worn down pretty good, but I never thought 'Good Feelin to Know' was single material...good song, but not one of my favorites on the album...that first side from 'And Settlin' thru 'Keeper of the Fire' is a sing-a-long country groovin' thing of beauty.

Bill Diercks likes this.
  10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

This is definitely my favorite Poco album, and I also don't understand why the title track wasn't a hit.

Restrain is probably my favorite song on the album and certainly my favorite Timothy Schmit song.

I used to run to take the record off when that loooong drawn out intro for Sweet Lovin' came on but I've come to like the song recently.

Keeper of the Fire is my least favorite on the album. Not bad, but nothing special about it.

pablo fanques, The MEZ and Bob J like this.
  11. 905

905 Senior Member

Free's 'Highway' album, which has some 'country-rock' songs, was largely ignored as well. The same with albums by Nesmith, Burrito Brothers, Gram's solo output, etc... The best country rock was ignored (for the most part) by the masses. :shake: It's probably my favorite genre of music.
    I don't even like the term country rock... I prefer what Gram Parsons called his music- Cosmic American Music.

12. Chief

My friend who turned me on to Poco went to many shows in the Messina/Furay days and he said that Richie was total energy. He jumped around and moved the entire time. I didn't see Poco until the summer 1990 tour after Richie left. Messina and Rusty were really fantastic. Those two guys play so well off each other.

I don't like the term either. I'm not sure I like Grams term either. Country-rock has so many bad connotations. Plus, the ratio of country to rock isn't covered by the term. How country is "And Settlin' Down"? Not much in my mind.

13. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Pink??? Well, thank goodness for used vinyl shops. I came across this album in close to mint packaging and vinyl and bought it for $4 just a month ago. The packaging and the fact I had no Poco in my collection was the determining factor. I've only listened to it a couple times so far but I really like it.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Bustin' Out was a commercial flop at the time. I don't fathom it. It's one of those superb country-rock albums of the early 70's...and the late Mick Ronson came up with some very tasteful string arrangements...the link was most likely both Bowie and PPL were on RCA at the time.

The version on The Forgotten Trail runs it's course and comes to a nice, smooth close...same mix though. :)

I gave the Poco rendition of Go And Say Goodbye a listen last night...much better than I thought or remembered.

15. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I prefer it to the original. This may be partly due to the fact that I heard Poco's version first.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'a good fellin to know' should have been huge. i think a lot people at that the time thought of poco as more country than rock and just didn't get it. i know that my friends and i didn't listen to a lot of poco, but did listen to the eagles and loggins & messina...who knew that 30 years later i'd listen to poco more than either of the others.

renny

17. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I remember seeing Poco when this album came out and A Good Feeling To Know was the song that set the crowd on fire. That being said, I never thought it was a single that would get airplay. I think those in the business would say it was not "radio friendly"I think the last minute of the song just repeating over and over killed any chance of it getting much airplay. I do think it is a great song and still like it to this day. A great song for playing live, not for the radio station to be playing in rotation. Did Poco have questionable management over the years?? Heck Yes. I don't think Epic ever stood behind the band like they should have. Once Furay left they certainly were not supportive. But this album did have what it took to be far more commercially sucessful.

18. Chief

It doesn't seem like the promotion was any better or worse. Wasn't "Lovin' Arms" a top 40 single? I never saw sales figures, but suffice it to say, Legend (with "Crazy Love") is easily their biggest selling album. That's what a hit single will do for ya.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The cd I got at Borders is not pink. It looks just like the photo you posted.

20. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Chief, promoters and others didn't want Poco booked. They felt that Souther Hillman Furay was going to be a sucess and they were out to push it. I've read that promoters had told venues if you book Poco you won't get any other acts. The people behind the scenes wanted the Poco fans to follow Furay.

The MEZ likes this.
  21. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I don't think Lovin' Arms charted that well. What happened when they did find some commercial sucess with Legend was that the intention was not to be Poco, but the Cotton-Young Band. The labels balked at that idea and after hearing Crazy love and heart Of The Night gave them the green light to record the album. If that had not liked what they heard that day, Poco would have been without a label. Howver, after the sucess of that album, the label failed to promote the follow up album Under The Gun.

22. 905

905 Senior Member

:shake:
    Didn't Poco cancel bookings with the Beach Boys to open for SHF...

23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Not quite right, but close. They backed out of The Beach Boys gigs to open for The Stills-Young Band. Got into that tour and good ole Neil skipped out leaving Poco with a pretty empty schedule. They did do some dates with JD Souther prior to Furay leaving Poco.

24. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I think Poco was on In Concert or Midnight Special. I remember seeing the do a live version of "Good Feeling to Know" on TV. It shredded. I thought for sure it would be a hit. SHF looked good on paper, but there Albums weren't much. Poco made better records even after Furay left, than either of the SHF records, which were over produced and felt contrived. Although I saw Furay and Hillman do a couple songs a while back and they have good chemistry, but not as good a Messina & Furay, who played together later that night.

25. Chief

I can't agree with you about SHF. I think that despite the nature of group, the individual guys couldn't make a bad album if they tried. Between the two albums, there are four of Richie's best songs: "Fallin' In Love", "Believe Me", "For Someone I Love" and "On The Line". J.D. Souther outshines everyone with "Pretty Goodbyes", "Deep, Dark and Dreamless", "Mexico", "Bordertown", "Somebody Must Be Wrong", and "Prisoner In Disguise". Hillman's offering were probably the weakest, but they were still good. "Safe At Home", "Heavenly Fire", and "Follow Me Through" were easily among his best songs up to that point. Oh well, different strokes, etc, etc...

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP
    Actually, this brings up something I was thinking about earlier. Richie will be leaving Poco pretty soon in our thread. Is there any interest in following Richie's work outside the group? There are four secular albums, 3 devotional albums, and two SHF albums (9 in all). If we did that, we'd then also include Paul Cotton's three solo albums, and possibly The Sky Kings. If anyone wants to do the solo albums, 1) Include or exclude Richie's devotional albums? 2) Do them chronologically and intermixed with Poco's output, or cover the solo stuff at the end. All together, we would be adding 13 albums I think.