The Poco album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Mar 11, 2007.

1. 905

905 Senior Member

I give it a 5.0. I really can't pick a favorite Poco album, but this one could be it. Timothy B. Schmit has a classic with 'From the Inside', Paul Cotton has a classic with 'Bad Weather' and 'Railroad Days', and Richie Furay has a classic with 'Just For Me and You'. In other words, a classic album. :thumbsup:

Bill Diercks and pablo fanques like this.
  2. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Not one of my favorite Poco albums. Possibly the production. I liked Hoe Down. What a way to open the album. Other than that I like Bad Weather. This is not my favorite version of this song however. The version from Poco Live is incredible. Railroad days is an out and out rocker. I just couldn't get into any of the Furay songs on this album. Ol Forgiver may be the worst Paul Cotton song ever, but its still not a bad tune. I can't think of another song of his that I don't like. From The Inside is my favorite Tim Schmit song. I have not listened to this one in a few years, but I remember liking the sound quality. But the overall feel of this album to me is one with dark clouds hanging over it.

pablo fanques likes this.
  3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

The fact that "Ol Forgiver" may be Paul Cotton's worst song speaks well of his songwriting, because "Ol Forgiver" isn't bad at all. He's amazingly consistent. It's also interesting that even though the album has "Hoe Down", "Just For You And Me", "You Are The One", and "Railroad Days", it's considered the depressing Poco album. The mood of the album really all comes down to Richie's state of mind at the time.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

of the many incarnations of poco, this might be my favorite.

timothy b. schmit coming into his own, very, very underrated as a songwriter, and always overshadowed by someone (furay, cotton, young, henley, frey, walsh).

renny

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  5. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

6. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Can anyone tell me who did the song"Colorado"(not sure if that's the correct title). I always thought it was either the Flying Burritos or Poco?????????

7. 905

905 Senior Member

The Flying Burrito Brothers (with Rick Roberts). It's from the self titled album, and is the first one after Gram left.

8. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Thanks, matt. That explains why it's not the Gram Parsons DVD documentary.

9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

It's Richie's favorite too. Jim Messina is my favorite guitarist, but this is the version of Poco that really locked in and it stayed that way even after Richie left. I really like Loggins & Messina too, but listening to Messina's work there makes it fairly obvious why Poco wasn't going to work for him.

Even in the Cotton-Young days, he was still writing really good songs. Paul's songs on Running Horse are pretty much the only reason to own that album. I still have to pick up his most recent solo album.

Stephen Stills did a great one too, but the Rick Roberts song on The Flying Burrito Bros album is the one you're thinking of. Stills performed the Roberts' Colorado in concert instead of his own interestingly enough.

10. Poco did a live set at Columbia Studios in LA to celebrate the release of From the Inside. It went out as a live radio broadcast, and has circulated in various forms since. It's a fine show and it showcases Paul Cotton's songs very well, to bad it's not available as a legit release (one track did make it onto the Forgotten Trail comp). I think it documents this band as it jelled, and made some great music. I really like the introspective nature of Richie's tunes on FTI, I think they balance the up tempo Cotton/Young songs on the LP. I like the hard edge that Cotton brought to the band with tunes like Railroad Days, the live set benefitted from the harder sound as well.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

Anyone know how often Illinois Speed Press played on the same bill with Poco before Paul joined them? I remember reading about one show with Illinios Speed Press, Poco, and the Burrito Brothers around 1970 in Galena, IL.

12. Check out the Deliverin' web site maintained by Poco historian Jerry Fuentes for info on shows. Looks like the Galena Il show was a festival and the Speed Press played the day before Poco.
    http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/pocoindex.htm

13. strick77

strick77 Member

My sentiments exactly.

bfraizer likes this.
  14. 905

905 Senior Member

Thanks for the link.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if i'm not mistaken firefall also did a version of colorado.

renny

16. Looks like the only version of Colorado they released was on the live album from 2001. I don't think Rick Roberts was in the band for that recording. I'm sure they did it in the live sets while Robert's was with them, it's one of his best tunes IMO.

17. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Brian, it was also on a Firefall or maybe a Rick Roberts compilation LP. Besides, FBB, and Stills, Linda Ronstadt also recorded it.

18. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

19. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Other than two of the Paul Cotton songs, wait, three Paul Cotton songs, this album is my very least favorite Poco album. You could have put any of the "hat bands" in Nashvilles name on the cover instead of Poco and few would have noticed. The Rusty Young and Jack Sundrud contributions are clones of the current Nashville cookie cutter sound alike song cloning artists that make music there. Cottons I Can Only Imagine is one of the finest songs he's every written and IMHO the standout cut on this album.

20. 905

905 Senior Member

"Saturday feelin' like Sunday"... one of many great Paul Cotton lyrics, this one from 'Railroad Days.'

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

From The Inside is a solid album...took a while to get into. After a great triple cro of PUTP, Poco and Deliverin' this one pales a little...but it's Poco and it's still very good. The songs worked much better live in my opinion. I love the take of You Are The One on The Forgotten Trail (from the KMET 1971 broadcast)..."let's hear it for George ya know...he's the backbone of the group". :)

The 1971 broadcast was:

I Guess You Made It

A Man Like Me

Ol' Forgiver

Hear That Music

Hurry Up

You Are The One

Bad Weather

Hard Luck

A Child's Claim To Fame

Pickin' Up The Pieces

Hoedown

What A Day

Railroad Days

What If I Should Say I Love You

Just For Me and You

C'mon

22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Is it OK to start discussing A Good Feeling To Know???

kBear likes this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Now there's an album! :agree:

kBear likes this.
  24. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

OK then, we're discussing it. Didn't want to step on anybody's toes by moving to the next album. Anyway, I played the heck out of this LP.

And Settlin' Down-Great song. Really has the Poco upbeat thing going on.

Ride The Country-One Of Cottons best songs. But, like Bad Weather the version on Live is my favorite.

I Can See Everything-TBS at his best.

Go And Say Goodbye-nice cover of a Buffalo Springfield tune.

Keeper Of The Fire-Cottons rocker contribution. The version on King Buscuit Flower is better IMHO.

Early Times. LOVE this song. everytime I listen to it I can't help but wonder why the sound sucks so bad.

A Good Feelin' To Know-The "should have been their break thru" song.

Restrain-my least favorite TBS Poco song. Not bad, just not as good as his songs so far.

Sweet Loving-HATE IT.

Overall-Solid album that should have gotten them over the hump to commercial sucess.

25. 905

905 Senior Member

We are on 'From the Inside' until Chief says so. :p