The Poco album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Mar 11, 2007.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's interesting. Needs the band as a conduit.

pocofan and Keith todaro like this.
  2. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Chief, you are correct. Brenda X is not good. May have been a victim of the producer.

carlwm and Chief like this.
  3. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Agreed. His solo albums didn’t do anything for me.

Keith todaro likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I was listening to Inamorata just the other day. I can understand any Poco fan not liking it because it has so little in common with classic era Poco. Indeed it's gone so for down the pop-rock/AOR route, it seems like a different band than the one that one that recorded Ghost Town, two years earlier. Throw in Joe Ciccarelli's all bells & whistles Eighties production (see also Al Stewart's Last Of The Century record). it's no surprise that long time fans throw their hands up in horror at it. However....

I do think it is a super example of Eighties pop-rock record. The writing and performances remain top notch and, as someone who quite likes Eighties production styles, I'm happy enough with the sound too. If - and it's a rather large if - you can forget the history and forgive the production, you might just get a modicum of enjoyment from the album. :)

JDeanB, Robyrdt, Hadean75 and 2 others like this.
  5. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I agree. Same is true for his Poco songs for me. Out of all of the members who contributed songs, his are my least favorite. Of course, that's just my opinion. Love Richie Furay, Rusty Young and Timothy B Schmidt songs.

Hadean75, Keith todaro and carlwm like this.
  6. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Was just relistening to GFTK album and it struck me how much better I like Paul Cotten’s and Timothy B. Songs than Richie’s. Sweet Lovinh could have been so much better if they would have lost the operatic harmony part.

As a matter of fact, as I listen back to a lot of the Poco tracks. I think a lot of the songs would have been better served if the harmonies were sang in a lower register.

pocofan, Hadean75 and carlwm like this.
  7. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Young was at the top of his game especially lyrically with Ghost town. But then he went back to the more commercial lyrics. If that had completed that album with civil war songs it would have been a masterpiece.

carlwm likes this.
  8. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I know I'm very out of order here, but spinning Crazy Eyes now. I pretty much grew up to this lp.

End of an era for the band, but no weak cuts in my opinion. I always loved the orange Epics for sound quality. I have an Artisan cut...it's a stunner.

NPS, Humbuster, TGH7 and 5 others like this.
  9. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

"Keep On Tryin'" was Poco's biggest hit prior to "Crazy Love". It hit #50 in Billboard and #45 in Cashbox...and charted even higher in the A/C chart. The title track of "Indian Summer" also charted at #50 in Billboard.

Hep Alien, bill44, Chief and 2 others like this.
  10. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I like Inamorata a lot. I had been a fan for more than a decade when it came out and I was glad for something different. For me, the vocals were so much better with Tim and George adding harmonies.

Chief, carlwm and pablo fanques like this.
  11. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Broke my heart losing Rusty and Paul in 2021. Devastating

pocofan, Hep Alien, bill44 and 4 others like this.
  12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

“C’Mon” was a minor hit as well. Maybe 67 or so.

Hadean75, JDeanB and pablo fanques like this.
  13. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

The Dance remains an all time favorite…

14. Ghost Town is well recorded and produced, though a bit bass-shy as was popular at the time, with some nice warm synth tones. A pretty good album, I'd rate it a 3/5 'cause I like 5 songs very much (including Shoot For The Moon).

carlwm likes this.
  15. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Have met both a couple of times. Nice guys. Paul Cotton was an extremely humble man.

16. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

The title track is one of Rusty’s best.

17. That is a great track.

My selections from Ghost Town:
    Ghost Town -dark, moody and well performed. The orchestration is used to great effect.
    High Sierra -keeping the mood intact, we have this dark, synth-laden instrumental. It works well and shows that you really can integrate synths into the Poco sound effectively.
    Shoot For The Moon -the melancholy pop near-hit. Time to slow dance with your partner.
    How Will You Feel Tonight -sounds like Poco 1977 on the poppy side, but still very nice.
    The Midnight Rodeo -an odd one with a strange rhythm pattern, a touch of reggae perhaps? A light, fun one.
    Break Of Hearts -some great pedal steel guitar in this one, but unfortunately some unneeded sax (fortunately not too high in the mix). Great harmonies and orchestration -a beautiful song.

This album is good, not great, but is, IMO, the last Poco studio album where the good outweighs the bad. Listen and enjoy this one.
    [​IMG]

pocofan, pablo fanques and carlwm like this.
  18. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

That album does have some really good moments. But the couple I don’t like, I really don’t like at all

Hadean75 likes this.