The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Never, even vaguely partook of them but in strict objective isolation, if this came on Planet Rock (not that I listen to this station much these days) it would remain on and indeed, I'd most likely increase the volume; perfectly alright.

2. Trillmeister

I bet several bods on here heard that opening drum sequence and flipped up their meh sensors within seconds.

Well not I, Dückster.

No, I persevered, hung on and let it roll which is often a cunning plan because like that oft cited gourmet burger, it may be pretty far from Metal Mignon but the vacuous musical taste thrills that follow, drenched in deep fried, cholesterol laden solo excesses are a singularly worthwhile indulgence per se.

I probably couldn't consume the whole carcass in one sitting, or even a succulent leg but a quick nibble on a lightly seasoned (cloven) hoof as posted? I think so.

P.S. No Flotsam or Jetsam in these racks but I appreciate the offering and might well take a mindless punt. :thumbsup:

Matthew Tate and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Def Leppard
    Pyromania (40th Anniversary) [Deluxe 4 CD/Blu-ray]
    40th ed. Anniversary DLX Wbr, Deluxe Edition

Box Set, 4 CD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41 year's ago this album exploded the music world.

:wave::edthumbs::goodie::righton:

:cheers:

4. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

I've got their 2019 opus The End of Chaos, which is very good. Erik A.K. is amazing on the vocals and Ken Mary is a beast behind the drums. Modern sound as is usual, but the song writing is good and the aggression/energy level is very impressive for the whole album.

Trillmeister and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

6. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

Spinning some Chapman UFO today. First Making Contact, and now No Place To Run.

7. Trillmeister

Playing these Tonka records is the closest thing to a time machine for me; quite emotional, as it happens! :thumbsup:

8. Trillmeister

Inspired by recent musings ~

This is so good and for me, proof positive that sticking with something that initially meh'd a bit can subsume doubt, throttle it then from those ashes arises a deep appreciation.

Unique and brilliant (guess it helps if you surround yourself with such accomplished instruMetalists.)
    :edthumbs:

9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I also saw a Walmart Exclusive vinyl LP of this in store today on yellow splatter vinyl. If I didn’t already have a decent vinyl copy I would’ve picked it up.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  10. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

Now:

My LP copy sounds quite muffled.
    Jimmy Dewar should be celebrated as one of the greats of the 70's.

100423, Musicminded, wdiv and 3 others like this.
  11. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

Great stuff. And another very striking album cover after Don't Break The Oath.

Curveboy and Trillmeister like this.
  12. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I had very low expectations but this is somewhat decent, although not great by any stretch of the imagination.

13. Trillmeister

Certain types of music are indeed soul food; this boogietastic sluice is a prime slice of just that. No wheel reinvention, just all heart. :thumbsup:

Tarot Man likes this.
  14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Opeth - Chrysalis
    from Sorceress (2016)

[​IMG]

New album later this year, hopefully.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    slipkid, 100423, Musicminded and 4 others like this.
  15. Trillmeister

Hey, that's really interesting, tantalising music; not sure I've encountered its specific ilk hitherto: may grab this record. Nice - thank you! :righton:

100423 and four sticks like this.
  16. Trillmeister

Just ordered an original European territory CD for a most agreeable handful of beans. :thumbsup: (My first Opeth record.)

17. Trillmeister

Mumblings of Iced Earth; I'm a Padawan in such matters, possessing albums only due to random gift-giving at various points by well meaning folk who knowing my musical proclivities must have seen the monstrous character adorning a cover and thunked "that'll do for the mad fool."

Playing this from the early 2010s -
    [​IMG]

18. Trillmeister

Does anyone know or have an oipinion on the sound quality (positive or otherwise) re the 30th anniversary (remixed and remastered) reissue of the self-titled, 1990 Iced Earth CD?

19. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

Good quality Megadeth gig from their current tour. Starts at around 11 minutes in.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  20. Phanerothyme

Phanerothyme Forum Resident

Fantastic album. Bought this and got it signed by Michael Denner at his record store «Beat Bop» in Copenhagen.

21. Trillmeister

:eek:

:edthumbs:

22. Trillmeister

Elsewhere, this -
    [​IMG]
    - is only doing one thing.

Getting better.

spacedyed, slipkid, 100423 and 7 others like this.
  23. Trillmeister

[​IMG]
    Been playing this regularly since it emerged and it's just dawned on me that I can decipher only 5-10% of Tate's sung lyrics.

Do I give one?

Not really. This is amongst Metal's finest, period and it's the overall assault that just works like a sublime takeover so I couldn't care less.

Full majesty.

:righton:

24. Phanerothyme

Phanerothyme Forum Resident

Overlooked this one for a long time, has grown to become my favorite QR album. Sublime stuff.

jeffreybh, 100423, PJayBe and 6 others like this.
  25. Trillmeister

Oh, Ronnie Dio on 'Sixteenth Century Greensleeves;' th'album version; dear Lord - what a gift these recordings are/were.