The new RHINO Joni Mitchell "Blue" LP? Yes, it's the one Kevin Gray and I mastered.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Arrived today. Couldn't imagine it being any better. I prefer it to the orig 1st press, and have decided to pass mine on now, as I don't need that copy. Thanks again
    C

2. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I have owned 'Blue' in number of formats/pressings. It is safe to say that IMHO, this one really takes the cake! Thanks Steve for the work.

David

3. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

Listening to my Music Direct copy now. Exquisite. Thanks to all involved.

These are happy times for us vinyl fans.

4. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

I've had this for about a week now and am really enjoying it. I did some A/B-ing with the DCC last night and I do prefer the new LP. The biggest difference to me is that the vocals sound much more natural on the new LP. I never had any prob with the DCC, but there is a pretty big difference when you switch between them. Steve, what were you thinking when you mastered it the first time? :D Seriously, they both sound great. This is a great album to turn off the lights and just watch the glow of the tubes while it plays...........For those with solid state amps, you can light a candle :winkgrin:

5. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I'd like to see Hejira get this same treatment. Well, Hejira and about 300 other albums! The more I listen to this version of Blue, the more I want to listen to it.

David

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

7. Thanks for clearing that up, Steve. :righton:

8. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Ditto. While the acoustic instruments on Blue are captured in stunning realism, to hear a recording with a bit more meat (eg: Jaco Pastorius' bass) would be very exciting.
    Sorry, Steve H, I'm not complaining - far from it. This is the first recording I've heard, that you and Kevin have worked your magic. For me, you have opened Pandora's Box.

Steve

9. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome..

10. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Got my copy, and am mostly nothing short of astounded. Would gobsmacked be too weak a word? Even on a pedestrian set-up, you can really hear the difference. Unfortunately, side 1 looks a bit scuffed, especially just before the runout groove, and at moments I'm hearing the effects of either a scratch or some static. Bummer.

Once I finish polishing this 1100-page doorstop that has occupied far too much of my time the past six weeks (and for which I'll probably only be paid for four), the Thorens TD160 is definitely taking a trip to the shop for an overhaul. If this LP sounds this good, this present, on a Technics SLBD22, I can't stop imagining what it'll be like on a nicer table.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What's it about?

12. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Got it. It sounds terrific; absolutely kills the nice European pressing I bought about a year ago.

13. munson66

Y'know, I'm about 12 pages from the end, and I'm not sure anymore. ;) It's nonfiction and kind of a reference book. More than that, I can't really say. Promised to keep it on the QT.

But here's one I copyedited last year, which got a favourable review in the New York Times today.

14. munson66

Yup. Somewhere around here, I've still got the copy I bought (from the two-for-ten-bucks bins) in the '80s. Haven't seen it in a while. Won't miss it very much now, though. :)

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No problem. I always get the Sunday edition of The New York Times and I just love the book reviews - I read them all. Maybe I'll hear about it there.

16. Finally got the Blue LP yesterday at local vinyl shop Meloidyia (along with Steve and Kevin's Yes - Fragile.

Steve, how come Kevin and you are not credited anywhere (except in the dead wax)? Your credits are on all the other LPs you've recently mastered (at least the ones I've purchased, Yes, Donald Fagan, Red Hot Chili Peppers). Rhino could have put a sticker on the shrink wrap.

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I got my copy this week, and I can't stop playing it. I've heard this album hundreds of times in my life, having had the original Reprise CD since high school or college and a Bernie G original LP, but I have never felt this close to the music before. It was really an experience on the first listen to hear Joni's vocals so warm and clear coming through my speakers, and the presence of all the instruments filling my living room. This has become one of my cherished LPs, as this is what listening to music should be all about; sonics so superb that you're there with the music, just purely in it, and everything else kinda disappears so that it goes straight to your soul.

18. Steve Hoffman

Glad to hear you like it. That's a devilishly hard album to master correctly.

19. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Have just back ordered it here the UK - the real 'trouble'with this site is I'm going to be spending *even more* money on vinyl than I do already! I've just picked up a 30th anniversary Dark Side Of The Moon for £25 including postage - while it is 'bright' on some of the vocals it is probably the best overall version of this LP I have ever heard, and that's down to this site - now waiting patiently for my 'proper' 45rpm Rumours which will hopefully be here by the end of the month, I may have a empty wallet, but the buzz I'm getting from all this superb vinyl - well, you can't put a price on that.... :)

20. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I finally got my US 45rpm Rumours (after being accidentally sent the EU version which I already have and much waiting to get the right replacement) and The Rhino re-issue of 'Blue' - what a double-whammy of super greatness - Joni sounds like she's sat a few feet away and the 'proper' 45rpm cut od Rumours is just Mind-Blowing, I'm hearing subtle nuances I never picked up on before - it's a dull grey monday night here in the UK but I'm having a ball - wow, just wow! Next up? The 40th anniversary vinyl box of Bitches Brew - yes, very empty wallet but a very happy JP.

21. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Last week I bought a FiiO X3 hi-res portable music player. This weekend I did a 24/192 needledrop of this album--the best-sounding LP I own--and put it on the player. With a really good set of headphones, it sounds almost as good as the vinyl--totally absorbing. Now I can enjoy it at work!

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I too have the DCC Vinyl theGold CD and a 1st pressing from back in the day. They all sound wonderful. I can't imagine needing to repurchase., but for 1st timers, this Rhino is a must buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.