The new RHINO Joni Mitchell "Blue" LP? Yes, it's the one Kevin Gray and I mastered.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Mine came from Music Direct today...along with the new petty vinyl and the next 5 Living Stereo SACD's...not a bad package to open today;)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I got Blue.

Few things...

This is NOT the LP to play on your "tin box" as Mike Oldfield would say (on the cover of Tubular Bells) This is a challange to track. Joni really "let it flow" and there's nothing but possibly the master tape and this LP will make example of. Be forwarned! A seemingly calming and poetic LP, it's technically DYNAMIC. A minefield for your $20 carts!

Not sure who did the cover, but I'm thinking it was RTI? Perfect job. There's a "slick" of a 11x11" fold, one side white, one side blue but nothing printed on it (lyrics are in the gatefold). Not sure what it was for? A statement only found in original pressings? I've owned 3 of them and none of them had "blue" posters.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That is to take the place of the original blue inner sleeve.

4. Sckott

Gotcha!

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have 5 other copies of this, including one with the blue original inner sleeve (BG deadwax).

Steve,

Your baby sounds just wonderful!! Smooth and silky as it can possibly be.
    If there was a recording that... Just sounds right!! This one is it!!!
    Also earlier tonight I first played your Yes' Fragile. Another record to die for!!!

I hear rumours, but can it possibly be??? The best is yet to come? :goodie: :thumbsup:

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Steve and Kevin's YES Fragile sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

I hope to pick up the Joni LP next weekend. :cool:

7. Sckott

Fragile is a jaw dropper. :agree:

8. Pug

I've never heard a UK pressing but after hearing Steve and Kevin's version I don't really feel the need to track one down.

9. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

You and me both! :righton:

10. Pug

:thumbsup:

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

You'll love it.

Talk about Joni singing right in your room. :love:

13. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

That's a good one. ;)
    I can't wait to hear this record.:righton:

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Got my copy yesterday. Personally I am not a big Joni Mitchell fan so all I own by her is the DCC Gold CD version of "Court and Spark" and now the Rhino vinyl of "Blue".

I was never fully familiar with "Blue" - yet I love the song River as I have heard it done by other artists over the years - and I have seen the Cowboy Junkies do their version live (killer version).

I guess you could call me a Steve Hoffman "snob" - since the only reason I even thought to purchase the vinyl version of "Blue" is because Steve mastered it.

I was floored by the immediacy of the presentation, the clarity of all instruments, and the "in your room" feeling you get from the entire recording. Since I don't believe I have ever heard this album in any other format before, I have to say I like it musically (not in love with it on first listen), but the sonics are what I would expect from a Hoffman/Gray mastered item.

Thanks again Steve, for one, turning me on to an album I would never have purchased otherwise, and for doing a great job on all the stuff you master.

15. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

"A Case Of You" is another great song, often overlooked, from this album. I believe Diana Krall did a cover version fairly recently...

16. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Received mine yesterday. Brought tears to my eyes it sounds so F'in good!

17. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Arrived today. Scary good.

18. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Listened to mine for the first time tonight, it really is excellent.

Kudos Mr. Hoffman, you've done it again! :righton:

19. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

I am floored as well about the sound of this release. The acoustic guitars and piano are so life like. It truly feels like Joni is in the room with you. Steve you really nailed it! This version will deem any "hot stamper" original pressing worthless unless you are a collector.

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:righton:

21. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I bought one last night at Newbury Comics in NH. Lp sounds awesome!

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I picked up my copy of Blue yesterday at a local brick and morter. There are places on that record where Joni'e voice sounds like it's going to break glass in my house. It is an amazing recording. Everything sounds so true. It's one of Joni's albums that I heard many times, especially back in the 70's but never purchased it myself. I think I'm glad I waited. It's been years since I last heard it, which made listening to it yesterday (twice) such a thrill.

Kudos Mr. Hoffman.

23. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Thanks for this Steve. :righton:

Although I have had a used old pressing of this album for some time, simply because I knew this was supposed to be a quality album, I had never listened to it.

So last night, after receiving my Rhino copy, and running it through a vacuum cleaning, I listened to this album for the first time in my life.

Holy cow! This woman could sing. What a distinct and beautiful voice. And listening to the lyrics, I was floored by how honest and revealing these songs are. She really bared her soul. I have tremendous respect for any artist who can lay themselves out for everybody to see or hear or feel.

The fact that the sound on this record is incredible just added to my experience of being slapped across the face with such personal and deep reaching expression. You can hear her breathe between lines and feel the emotion in her voice. Boy, what an experience. Sorry to keep rambling, but I get very excited when I hear something new (to me) that is in its own way perfect but that I never realized existed.

I also have an old used copy of Court and Spark which I have also never heard. Now I want to listen to it, but I would love to experience it the same way I just experienced Blue for the first time. Might this title be on the horizon too?

24. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Got my copy today. After a very brief listening it sounds really nice. :)

25. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I haven't heard this release yet, but I'm amazed the needle doesn't pop off the record when she hits that high note in "This Flight Tonight"! It's probably one of the highest notes I can think of any singer hitting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.