The new RHINO Joni Mitchell "Blue" LP? Yes, it's the one Kevin Gray and I mastered.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffchisako

jeffchisako Forum Resident

Just got my copy today at Amoeba in SF. Wow! Amazing! I never heard this album sound so sweet. Thanks Steve. Great job. :)

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Mine shipped yesterday from Music Direct but it's on the slow boat. Expected delivery 1/29. :shake:

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

One of the local Ma & Pa stores had 2 copies.

Just listened to side one. Fantastic sound.

My hats off to you and Kevin. :righton:

4. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Now we're talkin'

5. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

What a long day today was.

I managed to drive out to Amoeba and pick up two copies of the Blue LP. I am playing it right now. The sound is incredibly clear! One of these days, I will compare the sound against my white label promo original.

I also picked up some interesting used LPs, and I think I have solved the mystery of The Who, Who's Next LP. I will post my theory (which should be definitive) in a new thread in a few days.

Back to Blue, so far, I really like it. I don't have time to A/B this against my white label promo, but I think both are keepers.

6. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

This album has incredible sound, IMHO it kills the gold disc.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't care what you guyz sez. I'm not giving up my gold disc - ever!

I see no problem with having an LP and CD. :)

8. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

Got mine yesterday and it sounds tremendous-like Joni's in the room with you! A top-notch job from top to bottom-nice quiet vinyl, quality packaging, and of course the mastering...thanks Steve, can't wait to hear whatever other treasures are to follow.

I had a question about the marketing of this release-even though it's a Rhino title there is no mention of it anywhere on the Rhino website, which seems curious since they have all the other previous LP reissue titles still listed...is this just an over-sight or are they no longer directly selling lps? Maybe it has something to do with the Because Sound Matters on-line store since they state they are going to be selling Warner LPs in the near future...just wondering if anyone knows what the story is.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Me too. And the @#$!%#$^'s told me it would be here by they weekend. LIARS:realmad:

10. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Mine should be here tomorrow!!! :goodie:

11. sungshinla

By the way, when you folks get this LP, please give it a couple of spins before you make any judgments. During my first spin, my needle picked up all kinds of crap (even after a good vacuum cleaning) and that resulted in the sound not being so nice. During the second spin, no crap on my needle and great resulting sound.

I have yet to have time to A/B this against the WLP but so far, this is definitive!

12. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Same here. I also heard a swishing in between tracks. A nice clean eliminated most of the problems.

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Well you DO need both, depending on the weather. :D

14. wes

wes Senior Member

I just got done listening to this LP..... After being used to the gold CD for so long, this record really knocked me outa my chair!!! The acoustic guitars have faster transients and basically I think everything sounds better. The Reverb has a longer decay... Steve, I really dig your mastering approach of just keeping the processors out of the chain and keeping it pure on this one... Great job!

I'm hopin that Rhino commissions you and Kevin for Van Morrison's catalog.
    Astral Weeks anyone?

15. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'm giving mine its first spin right now, and it's dead quiet and sounds like heaven. Just gave it the once-over with the carbon fiber brush.

BTW, is there a contest to find the hidden credit for Steve and Kevin? I don't see their names anywhere, unlike the props they got on Morph the Cat. :confused:

16. sungshinla

Check the dead wax, there is a hand-etched marking crediting both Kevin and Steve.

17. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I'm definitely keeping my gold disc, but the LP really does kill it:D

18. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Does anybody know if Newbury Comics is stocking this item?

19. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Got this in the mail today-- Steve and Kevin did an awesome job on this one. Wonderful dynamics, especially on Joni’s vocals. “Blue” is a beautiful album, and with this new pressing I feel like I’m hearing it like it was meant to be heard. This kills my BG first pressing, plus it’s a lot quieter. Great packaging, too, even down to the satin finish on the sleeve.

As a side note, I remember reading once that Dylan’s “Tangled up in Blue” was a reference to this album. Anyone know if this is true? (I always thought that “Blue” and “Blood on the Tracks” were complimentary albums in that they explored the same themes but obviously from “a different point of view”)

20. grosz

grosz Forum Resident

These reviews are making me drool...
    But I'm in Israel, and the shipping costs are killing me - so I'll be forced to wait for a few more SH remasters on WB, and have them (and Joni) shipped together.

I can't wait!

21. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Just got my copy today!
    Super high quality presentation. Can't wait to give it a spin! :goodie:

22. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

This is one of the most amazing sounding pieces of vinyl I own, if not the best. I just had to order 2 more from acoustic sounds, just in case I wear this one out.

23. That version of "Old Brown Shoe" will blow your sock off.

24. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I was going to listen to my copy tonight, but I have a darn cold that's killing me! :( Oh well...

25. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Mine arrived today too.

I would listen to it tonight, but quality beer and quality vinyl... well that's a recipe for disaster! Way too many opportunities for mis-steps.

I'll wait 'til tomorrow! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.