The new RHINO Joni Mitchell "Blue" LP? Yes, it's the one Kevin Gray and I mastered.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I wouldn't mind. But I'd have to get all my LPs over from Australia - there's about 500 or so. Those suckers are heavy! The other thing that gives me pause is I have a pretty minimalist system. You have to admit that adding vinyl requires a lot of extra "stuff".

2. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I'll be getting this on vinyl. "Blue" was always my personal favorite Joni album.

Rick A.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Will do!

4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Always been my favourite too.

5. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Someday... I'm still young, I guess. :)

6. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Steve, the explanations are most appreciated. They bring so much insight to what we are hearing and the history behind it. And, they help cue us into hearing certain things that many of us would never notice. I can't wait to hear this and I can't wait to drive my significant other crazy with it. She's not the biggest Joni Mitchell fan! Perhaps the vinyl will be easier on her ears.

7. There still is. :confused:
    The link does not work.

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. ...

8. Steve Hoffman

Looks like the Acoustic Sounds website is temporarily down. It happens to the best of us. I'm sure they will fix it tomorrow...

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's down for me too.

I already ordered my copy and Joni's Blue is supposed to ship Tuesday.

10. Steve Hoffman

Glad to help; make the overall "experience" richer (at least it does to me).

11. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

It was a blessing in disguise that DCC didn't release this on vinyl!

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I just finished listening to the stock copy I got last Saturday (Jan. 20) from my local brick & mortar guy who broke street date on it. IT IS AMAZING! The vinyl is almost dead quiet, and especially on Side 1, Joni sounds as if she's giving a concert for you in your living room.

13. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Thanks Tim! What label did they use?

14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Reprise 1970s tan "steamboat" label -- appropriate for the time period of the original release. The catalog number is 74842.

For the curious, the trail-off markings are:

Side 1: MS-2038-A; KPG & SH @ ATM; 14569.1 (3)
    Side 2: MS-2038-B; KPG & SH @ ATM; 14569.2 (3)

"MS-2038" is the original catalog number for Blue. Nice touch!

15. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Very appropriate! I'm buying mainly for the music and sound, but extra touches like that go a long way.

16. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Agreed, nice touch. I'm looking forward to this one.
    Slightly off topic, I'm still curious why Chad used the AP label on the Fragile release. Was he unable to gain the rights, or did he just want his label on the record?

17. Steve Hoffman

This is a Reprise recording being re-released by Rhino.

The YES album was licensed to Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions from WEA.

Two different things entirely.

18. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Thanks for the response, Steve. I believe I now understand the distinction. However, doesn't Classic Records also merely license rights? And they manage to reproduce the original labels (The Who, Blue Notes, etc).

19. Steve Hoffman

Analogue Productions perhaps having dropped a bundle of money on licensing the YES title wanted to keep some label identity. I would have. That's why DCC had an LP label of its own and never used facsimiles.

20. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

21. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

This is great news. I'll sure to order my copy.
    I have a couple of original pressings and they are noisy from playback on lesser tables by the previous owner.

The original LP also sounds a tad bright, even though Bernie Grundman did ok with the mastering, specially for the early 1970s.

Ladies Of The Canyon is another LP worth listening to. Very similar to Blue in sound and musical performance.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Slight thread-crap...but the old Reprise CD sounds way different and almost too muffled compared to the surprisingly bright Gastwirt CD...is that an album that has some Dolby issues?

23. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Could be a problem with the master tape or lack thereof during the CD mastering.

The LP sounds quite good, with nice vocal presence and realistic guitar reproduction. It does have Bernie G's early sound, not at all muffled.

Just ordered my copy of Blue from Acoustic Sounds. Almost 31 bucks including shipping. I'll report back with my impressions when I get it!

24. Steve Hoffman

The master tape has no Dolby tones and was mixed in Dolby A. (We are talking about LADIES OF THE CANYON here). In order to set the Dolby level for proper playback you literally have to fake it. A pain and totally open to interpretation.. Too much and the sound suffers. Not enough and the sound suffers.

BLUE has a nice set of alignment tones on it, thank goodness.

C6H12O6 and George P like this.
  25. peter

peter Senior Member

Steve, congratulations. Can't wait to hear this LP. And such an important one at that.

I wish you could do ALL the important 1971 LP's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.