The Monkees' Instant Replay - Rhino Handmade deluxe boxed set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michelle66, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't have Andrew's book with me at work, but I thought the vocal overdub for Of You was done in 1969. Got to save some tracks for the Present boxset!! Ron

2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Since a lot of Present songs ended up on the CBS Saturday AM reruns, dedicated vintage mono mixes would have been made. Also, there are songs such as How Can I Tell You, Opening Night, Steam Engine, and the 3 versions of the We'll Be Back In A Minute. Also, alt versions/mixes of Mommy And Daddy, French Song, If I Knew, Listen To The Band,and Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye are known to exist. Add to that some backing tracks, other period songs such as Penny Music, Calico Girlfriend, and the Nesmith instrumentals (Impack, and Empire), and the deluxe Present is looking pretty good to me :righton:

3. brainwashed

Omega and London Bridge (amongst a few other backing tracks) were done in June 1969... all intended for The Monkees Present album. Ron

4. brainwashed

Ah yes, the Saturday AM reruns. Maybe most of the tracks from the album received proper mono mixes. Good news indeed. There sure is a wealth of backing tracks from this period too. I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that songs like Penny Music (a guilty pleasure) and Calico Girlfriend exist with alternate vocals and/or different instrumentation? Hope we all find out the answers in the not-so-distant future. Ron

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Sweet. Thanks Ron. I should have pulled out Andrew's book and double checked the dates on those tunes.

'Present' is going to be awesome also. Just was wondering though ... these Deluxe Editions have some pretty impressive album artwork upgrades but what are they going to do about the cover of 'Present' ?? ...

Also, what tracks if any didn't end up on this release that were recorded around the time of 'Instant Replay'?

... been listening to those samples ... this new set is gonna be a good one ...

(... now I usually don't care for Mono but the promo mono mix of 'Tear Drop City' sounds awesome with Micky's vocal at the correct speed.)

6. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Present artwork: The original gatefold artwork (without the hand drawn Monkees pics) that included the melting Colgems records hanging on trees in the desert... That would be a good start!

7. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

I sure hope they use the Black & White Original Cover, not the "colorized" one used for the previous CD Reissue (never liked the color version or understood Rhino's decision to not use the original B&W version:confused:)

8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

ANYTHING is bound to be an upgrade!

"Present" has the WORST artwork of any Monkees album release.

9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

That's a pretty strong allegation, considering the existence of Pool It and the Laurie House compilation!

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Right on both counts. :)

11. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Present should have lenticular art as well. Micky, Davy, Mike on different levels. Since Davy's head is much larger than the other 3, he's closer to the foreground. Mike in the middle, Micky in the back. The background should 'move' as well. Could be awesome!

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Same here. I initially did a pre-order, and then canceled it this morning.

I love the Monkees, but the 'new' content offered here just isn't interesting enough for me to justify spending $60 on it. I'm glad that they're doing it though.

13. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

I agree. A Lenticular Cover would be great to show the relative "depth" of the three guys.

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Re: "Present" deluxe edition album art ...

:edthumbs: +2

15. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

So, refresh my memory on the original cover art idea for Present...where are the details for this? I can't seem to recall!

16. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

In the liner notes for the 94 CD issue of the Present CD.

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Wonder if the new liner notes will include any new responses from the guys bout IR?

18. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I never expected a deluxe editon of this album. I didn't think there was enough material for a 2 CD set, let alone a 3 CD set. I am going to order this since Instant Replay is one of my favorite albums.

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Many thanks Michelle.
    Listening now.

Darryl

20. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I LOVE the absurdity that is the released version of SHORTY BLACKWELL, but am I the only one who found that sample slightly creepy?

21. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Thank you Michelle. Quite a surprise to see the deluxe set cover pop up in itunes when playing these samples:)

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I added artwork to the samples when I imported them into i tunes.
    Did the files already come with the IR deluxe set cover?

Darryl

23. tentimesblue

tentimesblue Active Member

Yes thanks again to Michelle, I don't think I've heard Me Without You so many times in my life, it wasn't nice.

I've listened to those samples three or four times and I am looking forward to hearing the full version of My Share of The Sidewalk (it's a shame they couldn't have "flown in" some vocals from the other version a la Smile) and the backing of Naked Permission sounds pretty cool too. The other thing I thought is that the mono versions of Mike's Nashville tracks seem to "swing" a little more.

24. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Thank goodness tomorrow is payday! I'll definitely be putting in my pre-order for the IR box set!:righton:

Am I correct in assuming everyone who pre-orders will get the bonus 45?

Also, did anyone find any discount codes to use? No matter, I'm still in.:goodie:

25. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I found the photo I mentioned in the earlier thread. Lyric sheet reads: "If I Ever Get To Saginaw Again". Andrew Sandoval states it's the same day Nesmith added his vocal to that track. If so, then the photo was taken Friday, March 7, 1969. He's even playing a "G major" chord which is the original key of the song.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.