The LAST Monkees Colgems 45?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunset Sam, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

On a similar note, as MarkTheShark pointed out to me years ago, you can still see the shadow of Michael on the Changes LP cover since he was cropped out of that.

But he doesn't smoke those.

2. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I didn't know that... has the uncropped pic ever surfaced anywhere??

3. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

I believe the uncropped photo is in either the "Presents" CD booklet or "Changes" CD booklet.

4. TheNomadicSoul

I can't be certain. I looked through the photos on my hard drive and couldn't find it. Maybe Mark has it.

I'm almost certain that it was from a photo of their Joey Bishop Show performance. Check out the pic on page 233 of Andrew's book. Looks like the same clothes, mic stand, & hair styles to me.

5. TheNomadicSoul

Yes! You're right. It's in the "Present" CD booklet. I knew I had seen it before.

6. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I don't think Nez's shadow is visible...but I love the way they designed this! Like other people (including Peter Tork) have pointed out...Davy's and Micky's backs are to each other...and those two LOOMING shadows! The shadows are no coincidence, because this photo was "manufactured" (like the "band" itself). There aren't two shadows and two missing Monkees by accident.

Attached Files:

7. MarkTheShark

And the final cover...

(signed by Micky and Davy in 1987, Peter in 1997)

Attached Files:

8. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Actually, look again:

[​IMG]

Davy's casting a blue shadow, Micky's casting a green shadow, and the dark blob to the right of the E and S of "Monkees" is all that remains of Mike's shadow (the blob is a projected shadow of the headstock to Mike's guitar).

The still is from when the 3 of them (backed by Sam & the Goodtimers) performed on The Joey Bishop Show:

[​IMG]

9. semidetached

Wow - I never would have caught that. I always thought that background was the actual picture. VERY cool!!!

10. TheNomadicSoul

Regarding the "Changes" photo... I have the feeling that the background was airbrushed out, the "shadows" were added, and perhaps was going to be used for some promotional purpose for the '69 tour (or something else...) They finally then decided to use that photo, with Mike cropped out, for the "Changes" LP. That's why I feel that Mike's shadow is still there.

Btw Mark, I still get a kick over you asking Peter to sign that album. I always wondered if he even purchased it (or the previous two) when it came out.

11. semidetached

That would make total sense - good point.

12. MarkTheShark

Yeah, that was kind of funny. I was all embarrassed because I had two albums which had been signed by Micky and David...that one and an original "Pisces." And I tore the house up and could not find the "Pisces" (which also had been signed by Chip Douglas and a few other people I met at a Monkees convention). So I'm explaining this to Peter and he just says, "It's all right, it's no problem...":D

Yeah, that theory about the red shadow makes perfect sense...in fact, I always thought something similar about the "Tear Drop City" picture sleeve. It just seems funny how it gets abruptly chopped and then there's just that pure orange...I don't have it in front of me, but doesn't some small print text kind of "abruptly end" too?

(I also note that at least some of the "Changes" back cover photos are from a Kool-Aid commercial shoot, in which Nesmith participated. They probably didn't even bother taking any new photos by 1970.)

13. MarkTheShark

That also might explain why Micky seems to have a little more "breathing room" over to the right than Davy has to the left...

14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Don't know about the text, but look closely and you can actually see some "hair" from what was most likely Peter's illustration.

15. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Look again...and,you'll see that Micky and Davy closer together in the "Changes" photo,as well...they're a little farther apart in the non photo-altered version!! (The photo with Nesmith also was in the "Listen To The Band" Box Set Book as well.) Michael Boyce

16. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's a website about this very theory!

http://www.brilton.net/html/i/66-5000cu.html

17. Sunset Sam

Oh...and here is the mock-up....where you CAN see that it really isn't a theory. Peter WAS part of the sleeve. You can see the hair fer sure.

Attached Files:

18. semidetached

Incredibly strange - more stuff I didn't know... thanks!!

19. sotet

sotet New Member

Yea, neat thread. I love the fake 45. Pretty fab. I need to get back into learning Photoshop ((again)).

The Tear Drop City Image! - Hey, you blew up my avatar to something really big! LOL, I knew about Peter being cropped off the Tear Drop City sleeve (someone else pointed it out to me as I didn't notice myself.) I did not know Neko had drawn it but I knew he had done one of their covers (Present).

:goodie:

OFF TOPIC VIDEOS! - check out the recent UK documentary on the Monkees someone kindly posted 2 clips of it to YouTube - see Kirchner, Tork, Dolenz, Jones, Hart, etc. some good footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PFjFwj1AU&mode=user&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWHpj6cUd8I

I thought this was a groovy
    photoshop job below. Fellow poster BobT has used it :)

Attached Files:

20. Sunset Sam

More fun with Photoshop

Attached Files:

• fake.jpg
      fake.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
  21. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Wow- I'm famous ;)
    Bob T

22. Sunset Sam

This was not done by me....but the only thing Photoshoped here was Mike added to the scene.....Davy's, er, posterior is the real deal.

Attached Files:

23. sotet

sotet New Member

You have great posts in various places on the interwebs to read, Bob T. So you are famous to some of us hard core Monkeemaniacs.

:D

Oh, the Jones-moon picture from '76, I had heard there was some photoshop image floating around, but wasn't sure. LOL.

[ OFF TOPIC VIDEOS!] - check out the recent UK documentary on the Monkees someone kindly posted 2 clips of it to YouTube - see Kirchner, Tork, Dolenz, Jones, Hart, etc. some good footage. Hope we see more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PFj...e=user&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWHpj6cUd8I

24. MarkTheShark

Another thing that always seemed like a "giveaway" was the SOLID ORANGE, while the other colors were so much more subtle...

Thanks for that image...great stuff!

25. Sunset Sam

OK....if someone has some serious Photoshop skills (which I don't), maybe they can work some magic on this!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.