The Kate Bush CD Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I had it at the time, then ended up trading it in for the British box instead. The British box sounds much better...IMHO. :righton:

2. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Is there anyone who can confirm that there is Hounds of Love CP32-5086 black triangle pressing with sony matrix? (possibly 11+++++) I'm not sure but there should be one because I'm 100% sure I saw even higher catalog CP32 discs with 11 in matrix. (Michael Schenker Group CP32 for example.)

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The highlighted one has a very different looking matrix font correct? A somewhat crude early-looking one?

4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I wish Hounds of Love would have been given a CD release when the vinyl was reissued recently. Just because.

ippudo and jsayers like this.
  5. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Yes that one has crude early looking number.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Must be the very first pressing then.

7. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

ok im a total newbie about these sorts of things.

what is it that you want? 100% or a good medium number? is 100% what you expect to get since its supposed to show what? the amount of data transferred to the cdr from the source?

any help would clarify things a bit. thanks

8. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

It's just number printed or machine stamped (for the earliest matrix numbers) around the inner ring identifying specific pressing plant. For black triangle tittles there are Sony, Toshiba and also JVC matrix numbers to my surprise (maybe some others?!). Actually these are the ones I know for sure. There is no magic about it just good thing to know for people who prefer only specific pressing as collectibles. However some early titles with the same catalog number in rare cases have totally different mastering based only on matrix number. (Dark Side of the Moon CP35-3017 TO/non TO pressing, Billy Joel - 52nd Street 35DP-1 silver/gold as an example)

BTW Still nobody can confirm a Sony pressing for Hounds of Love CP32-5086 black triangle?

9. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Exactly! But only with some excellent remastering job for sure.

10. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

thanks .

11. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

I've seen an original 1985 CD (not the EMI 100 version) of Hounds of Love made in Holland. Nobody mentions it in this threat so I'd like to ask if anybody is aware of this and if it is different from the Japan for UK/Europe pressing?

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im new to Kate on CD, whats the best sound? 1st UK nimbus? or japans? or?

13. peter

peter Senior Member

Mine's Toshiba. Why, may I ask, are you so curious about this?

14. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Well I was always curious it there is any earlier press from CBS/Sony factory. It looks like there is none at all and the first one is Toshiba with “CP32-5086 1A1” in matrix. It is always a great find for obsessed collector. ;)

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

100% is the peak level. Personally, I don't like anything close to 100%, although it can sound ok. I prefer something around the 80% mark.

16. peter

peter Senior Member

I see. FYI, I compared my BT to my made in JPN. for UK. The JPN. BT was better, but not by too much. The JPN. for UK does NOT have CP32 in the inner ring of the CD.

17. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Okay, I'm a bit late to this thread. I have a Japanese release of The Dreaming, CP32-5277, February 25th 1987, matrix CP32-5277 1A3 TO, levels:
    100.0 / 96.5 / 91.6 / 92.7 / 97.9 / 100.0 / 87.3 / 60.4 / 76.7 / 87.6

Which makes it the same as mastering #2 from Nimbus. It's a great sounding disc, warmer and with better defined bass than the EMI Swindon release I had before.

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My The Kick Inside and The Dreaming are from Holland. Same mastering as the UK discs.

Evan

19. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

This may seem like a foolish question, but are there any versions of "The Sensual World" that deviate from the two masterings that were posted earlier?

20. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Nimbus CDs contain pre-emphasis?

I'm listening The Kick Inside and it sounds really harsh and bright.

21. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I know for sure the Japanese Black Triangle doesn't have pre-emphasis, but in this thread, someone asked the same about a West German pressing: Kick Inside - Kate Bush. No answer, though. The best way is to check your disc with software that detects pre-emphasis. I use XLD on a Mac.

Halloween Jack likes this.
  22. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I have the IIR Filter on foobar than can do a "de-emphasis" effect and the Nimbus CD sounds better now, but, I don't know, the crash cymbal still sounds harsh for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.