"The Honeymooners Lost Episodes: Complete Restored Series" Coming To DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benno123, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, there's a ton of DVDs and Blu-rays that are badly authored. That makes me nuts when there's about a 45-second wait when you hit a button, prompting me to yell out, "we're victims of Bad Authoring!"

These little distributors like MPI are sometimes guilty of using small-time, fly-by-night compression and authoring companies that just crank this stuff out -- sometimes in 3rd-world countries like India or the Philippines, or some guy working out of his garage. The quality of the menus and authoring can go all over the place. The really good disc authoring companies have a room that has about 100 different brands and models of DVD players, and they'll test a sample DVD-R disc on every player before shipping it off to the pressing plant. Blu-rays are even harder.

2. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

Amazon's unusual move to stop shipping "The Honeymooners Lost Episodes: Complete Restored Series" appears to be over. It's for sale again. Having received one of the initial boxes and, yes, encountering the slightly bothersome "Play All" menu problem on Disc 1 and the missing script on Disc 15, has there been any updates about exchanges or replacements for either disc? Just wondering.

Reviews on Amazon and elsewhere are genuinely glowing and other customers are delighted, despite the small defects. I'll keep mine and be happy, unless replies to this post offer more info about whatever MPI may have done to reinstate the set to Amazon's satisfaction.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Got this for Christmas and have been enjoying the hell out of it every night this week. I haven't come across any malfunctioning discs yet (knock on wood), so hopefully I'm in the clear. Been jumping around, here and there, trying to pick episodes my wife will enjoy as well. Lots of exciting new things to see, and all my old favorites. A great set. Goody good dvds.

4. neuroticomic

neuroticomic Forum Resident

As a bona-fide honeymooner fanatic, thanks to growing up with it [and the odd couple] back to back 11pm to midnight on WPIX out of NY, i was pumped for this.
    With amazon selling it for 60.99 it was time to jump on it.

First impressions. Even for 61 bucks the packaging is horrendous.
    I even fired off an email to MPI.
    I can't imagine paying over a hundred bucks, even for my favorite show of all time.

No care was put into that packaging. I look at Seinfeld and Dr. Katz as examples.
    Beautiful.
    I mean they cant even use a Lost Episode pic for the cover? lol I know there probably weren't any official posed photos from those shows but still.
    Put something to represent those on the cover.

In any event, its all about the content right?

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm just thrilled to own this...period.
    this and The Laurel and Hardy set makes a perfect year for DVD! for me of course.:)

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have been slowly progressing through this box. For my purposes, the quality is more than passable. It is interesting to see how certain early episodes (I never saw before) had seeds of jokes and storylines that became part of the classic "39".

It is also interesting (although a bit overkill) to see that nearly every year they did "The Christmas Party", with the same basic script intact with just a few minor changes in some action or special guests. You would have thought that they would have come up with a new script for each new Christmas sketch?

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

guess they stuck with what works?
    What a wonderful set! Dam...:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.