THE HOLLIES import compilations on compact disc: Steve's recommended versions..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Fair enough. Disappointing is definitely a better way to put it.

3. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Still sounds like it may be best avoided unless one can get it for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. :wave:

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Boy what I'd give to hear Steve work his magic on a multi-CD set by the Hollies. Just a great group, but I'm still waiting for a set (admittedly I don't have all of these comps) with great sound. Thinking how wonderful Steve's Searchers comp is... imagine a Hollies boxset with sound as good as that one? Would make a great project, eh? Ron

5. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

First, he'd have to re-record them. Mastering can only go so far...lol.

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

And Gerry and the Pacemakers on Razor & Tie. The sound differences between that and ANY other CD are amazing.

Which one is Steve's Searchers?

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Wha?:confused:

Why re-record them? Their recordings sound great outside of maybe some awkward stereo mixing in their 66/67 period.

8. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

The Searchers - The Collection 2003 Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD AFZ 018. 17 tracks, all tracks true stereo from the original Pye Records master tapes.

9. Danny

Danny Senior Member

For those who don't own it already (and are members of yourmusic.com), the Epic Anthology is available there.

I made the mistake of buying mine used on ebay when I could have had it new for less on yourmusic.

10. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

That's the one. An absolutely amazing listening experience. The sound quality is as good as it gets. Ron

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Thanks Mick and Ron. I'll pick that up.

I was thinking of starting a British Invation Best of Digital thread to cover some of the rest of the bands. There is some good stuff out there to be had. Wading through it all is the problem.

12. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I totally disagree. Compared to the Searchers, many of the Hollies 60's recordings are shrill, compressed, mid-rangey and downright hard to listen to. Whereas, the Searchers recordings from that era have wide-band frequency response and squeaky clean sound - wacky stereo mixing aside. Listen to Don't Throw Your Love Away or Needles and Pins - about as good as 60's-era British Invasion recordings get from a sound standpoint.

Conversely, listen to stuff like I've Got A Way Of My Own...hell, most of Evolution album (And it's not even a mono/stereo issue - When Your Lights Turned On sounds atrocious in both mixes). Hits like I Can't Let Go, obscurities like Non Prego Per Me. Night and day compared to the The Searchers.

Are there exceptions? Sure. But, overall the Hollies are never going to be an audiophile experience when we're discussing that era.

That said, I find the Hollies infinitely more interesting, musically, than the Searchers. :)

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I have not heard the "40th Anniversay" box set, so I cannot comment on it. I do have the "30th Anniversary" set. It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I do not recall any 'no noise' process as being a problem (or even present). Actually, the sound on those discs are quite nice. The objections usually raised on this Forum regarding that set are from 'purists' angry about the remixes. I have most of the CDs mentioned in this thread and love the original mixes (my own personal preference and recommendation is for "All the Hits and More" double CD set), however I do not find the remixes on the "30th Anniversary" set to be objectionable.

The one Hollies compilation to avoid is the 2003 double CD "The Hollies Greatest Hits" which I believe is a pared down version of the "40th" box set - no noised, compressed and a terrible track order.

14. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Again I'm reminded that the Pacific Northwest was quite unusual radio-wise back in the 1960's. The legendary DJ Pat 'O Day played just about everything that came down the pike on KJR, and the station had a reputation for "breaking" songs, often months before other stations. "Listen To Me" got respectable airplay in Seattle, although I must admit that by the time that first Epic comp came out in 1973, it had slipped my mind. I didn't hear it again until around 1986 when it started appearing on vinyl comps, and it came right back to me. I guess the question I have is this: if a low charting song like "Listen To Me" was left off that 1973 comp, why then has it become pretty much a staple of Hollies' comps nowadays?

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Most likely because nowadays most comps are Eurocentric and take into consideration the group's performance there, rather than limiting their view to U.S. chart success.

16. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

A good example of this is "Jennifer Eccles," which reached the top 3 in the UK but only #40 in the U.S.

17. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Well I may add the 3-disc set to my "if found cheaply list" based on your comments. While the remix aspect doesn't thrill me, it also doesn't bother me too much either. I was more concerned about it's 1993 release date and the possibility of no-noise being applied with extreme prejudice to the tapes.

18. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

The 30th anniversary set is only one of 3 places you can get the fantastic outtake "She Gives Me Everything I Want", a lost 1965 track that is one of the coolest things they ever did.

Apparently, the only other two places you can get it are on the 40th anniversary set and the Japan reissue of The Hollies 3rd.

Has anyone heard all three of these? What's the best?

Dale

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Just got 20 Golden Greats for cheap - I'm luvvin' it, luv. Great sound, even if stereo.

Thanks for the tip Steve! I'm done with Hollies CD collecting.*

*Until I'm not.

20. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Although, I must admit, I really do love the remix of "Bus Stop" on this one...

I sometimes wish "Carrie Anne" would get a nice stereo remix. I prefer the mono on that one.:righton:

21. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

I agree there: As I said many times, the common stereo mix of "Carrie-Anne" has instruments hard-left, vocals and the steel drum hard-right - while the original U.S. stereo release of that tune was awash with reverb (canned echo) and a semi-squashed (narrowed) stereo presentation.

Perhaps I should be getting my hands on a Parlophone UK single (the original 1967 release, not the '80s reissue single) of that song sometime in the future... :winkgrin:

22. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I agree, Jared! I was just doing some comparisons between the original stereo versions on my EMI Manhattan The Best, Volume 1 & the remixes on the 30th Anniversary set. The remixes are good & I certainly don't object to them...because I have the original versions also. But the remix of "Bus Stop" does stand out...it's the best one on there IMO. I also like Ron's remix of "Stop Stop Stop". For the other hits, I prefer the originals.

I also like the booklet on the 30th Anniversary set - lots of information.

Dexter

23. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Sorry it took me so long, Joe...here you go:

The Best - Volume 1 (1988 - EMI Manhattan 46584 - All Stereo)
    1 - Just One Look
    2 - I'm Alive
    3 - I Can't Let Go
    4 - Here I Go AGain
    5 - Bus Stop
    6 - Look Through Any Window
    7 - Stop Stop Stop
    8 - Pay You Back With Interest
    9 - On A Carousel
    10 - Carrie Ann

The Best - Volume 2 (1988 - EMI Manhattan 48831 - Stereo except*)
    1 - Sorry Suzanne
    2 - Jennifer Eccles
    3 - Dear Eloise
    4 - King Midas In Reverse
    5 - Do The Best You Can (*Mono)
    6 - Long Dark Road
    7 - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
    8 - Another Night
    9 - The Air That I Breathe
    10 - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

I was "in the biz" when these came out (i.e got 'em for free!). I already had the original Greatest Hits CD on Epic...but have always thought these sounded better on the common songs.

I recently did some comparisons between the Greatest Hits, the two EMI's, and the Epic Anthology. The songs on the first EMI disc consistently beat the Greatest Hits. For that matter, the songs on the second EMI disc & the Epic Anthology consistently beat GH also!

I think that the first EMI disc is the stronger of the two. When I compared the second EMI to the Epic Anthology, the results were mixed. They were very close on some songs...on some EMI #2 sounded better...on others, the Epic Anthology sounded better. :) I do hear hiss on the songs. ("Long Dark Road" on EMI Vol. 2 is the worst one of the bunch...almost "muffled" in sound...like the source was a dub. It sticks out - the other songs on #2 are much better.)

Between all 3 discs, most of the hit songs are covered. I'd be curious to hear 20 Golden Greats...but it duplicates so much of what I have. I prefer the song selection on the EMI's. I was hoping someone had both & could advise. 20 GG seems much easier to find than All The Hits & More.

Dexter

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

20 Golden Greats is a better read than the Anthology, IMO. I just listened to it for the first time last night, and I was very pleased.

25. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Because of this Hollies thread, I've been going through my Hollies collection and noticed that I was missing the song "Jennifer Eccles". I don't know how that happened. I mentioned this to my wife earlier this week.

So today for Valentine's Day she got me a Hollies comp on Raven called 'On A Carousel 1963-1974 The Ultimate Hollies'. I thought that was so cute! I never saw this comp until today. I don't know what it sounds like, but like other Raven comps its got a good track list.

1. Stay [Mono Version]
    2. Just One Look [Mono Version]
    3. Here I Go Again [Mono Version]
    4. We're Through [Mono Version]
    5. I'm Alive [Mono Version]
    6. Yes I Will [Mono Version]
    7. Look Through Any Window [Mono Version]
    8. If I Needed Someone [Mono Version]
    9. I Can't Let Go [Mono Version]
    10. Bus Stop [Mono Version]
    11. Stop Stop Stop [Mono Version]
    12. On a Carousel [Mono Version]