THE HOLLIES import compilations on compact disc: Steve's recommended versions..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

ATHAM?

Always Take Ham And Melon?

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:laugh: I am also tired of typing (and slow)

Is this the cover?

3. Mine did as well. Some manufacturers 2 or 3 CD fat boy sets came with foamies back in the day. Others did not.

4. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

This was one of the first CDs I bought, back in '87. Back then I naively thought that CDs guaranteed the highest quality, just like I used to think that stereo was always superior to mono.

This Forum has definitely changed my mind on those two ideas...:agree:

5. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

The point that I made in my post in regards to "Do The Best You Can" is that the tune was not mixed into stereo in the '60s.

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I currently own it.

Depending on your point of the view the 'pluses' are Ron's stereo re-mix of 'Yes I will', mono 'Stay' and the track selection which as about as good as your going to get for a single CD.
    The negatives are a lack of 'breathe' in the sound, obvious compression and that pointless sleeve.

It was issued as a tie in for the 30th Anniversary and I suspect it has some mastering in common with the 3 CD set.

For regular stereo listening I prefer 'Smokestack' as it sounds much better.

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It's here for a decent price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Hits-Ag...ef=sr_1_1/202-3969690-3241405?ie=UTF8&s=music

Those Hollies CDs on SFM don't sell for big bucks usually. I guess now that Steve has sanctioned them they'll start disappearing... buying power here is big! (I know because I've been hit with it). :agree:

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Since this thread covers compilations I'll avoid too much of a thread crap. However for Hollies fanatics it may be worth noting that all of their albums were reissued on CD in 1989/90/91 by BGO. I just picked up In the Hollies Style and it sounds pretty good. Not perfect but it's mono (prefered for me since the best tracks are in stereo on Not the Hits) and it doesn't sound neutered like the EMI version sounds. Like See For Miles I'm sure that BGO is far from being an audiophile label but my impression of their earlier CDs is that they didn't seem to mess with the sound too much.

It may have already been posted but this Web page is great list of the Hollies albums and comps from original release to reissue:

http://www.proweb.co.uk/~rhaywood/records/albums.htm

9. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Very well.

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I found a copy of 20 Golden Greats on the Internets (a series of tubes); am waiting with baited breath (whatever in blazes that is) to see how it compares sonically with the Hollies Greatest Hits and Epic Anthology CDs I have. I've always liked Greatest Hits, and the main reason I've kept searching is that it's always bugged me the it didn't have "Sorry Suzanne". I thought it was perfect apart from that! The Raven comp, which I listened to last night, bugs me sonically now. Great songlist, though...

11. Steve Hoffman

Well they were real easy to find when they came out. That's how I found them, in a record store. I wasn't looking for them, I just "came across them" in the bins. No mystery.

He who hesitates is lost.

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

What's so funny about that is I almost parted with my See For Miles CDs when I was supposedly "upgrading" to remasters. I couldn't sell them. Even now, last I looked, the EP Collection and Other Side of.. are both pretty cheap. Of course it only takes a couple of people to read these threads and they're gone!

13. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Mine did. Still there, too.

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Nothing at all surprising about "Listen to Me" and "Do the Best You Can" not being on that Epic LP. "Listen to Me," to my knowledge, wasn't released as a single at all in the U.S., while "Do the Best You Can" only made it to #93 on the charts.

The absence of "Sorry Suzanne" is a little more difficult to explain. It did get AM radio play, but stalled at #56. At the same time, "King Midas in Reverse" and "Dear Eloise" were #51 and #50 respectively, and they made this comp. I'm guessing maybe it was thought the Graham Nash connection gave them a little more respectability.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

With so much Hollies talk lately, I thought some might find this discography handy, since unlike Rob Haywood's, you can get the singles, EPs and LPs (the latter two with track listings) all on one page. (Two frames, actually; singles on the left, EPs/LPs on the right.)

This also has individual members' solo discographies, including guest appearances.

http://rant58.tripod.com/id92.htm

16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I edited my post to remove that statement about "holy grail items being hard to find"...well, DOH!
    :embarrassment:

Must have second cup of coffee, now.:D

One thing I've found amazing about the Hollies, and part of the reason their records are so compelling, is that often their harmonies are actually out of tune; but, their vocal blend/sound is so fantastic that I don't care.

17. Steve Hoffman

They are constantly out of tune. But, they have a sound that hard to argue with...

18. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

It was released in the US as an Epic single w/ Everything Is Sunshine as the B side (5-10400). I own the white/pink promo - I'd assume stock copies are rare though.

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for the correction. There are a couple of good UK Hollies discographies on the web, but at least a fair amount of searching didn't reveal a US singles discography.

In any case "Listen to Me" failed to even crack the Hot 100 in the U.S.

20. Just grabbed the EP Collection CD on eBay BIN for about $25. CDN. Steve, the seller lists the CD as a 1989 release.

Artist: HOLLIES

Title: EP COLLECTION

Format: CD

Label: SEE FOR MILES

Year: 1989

Description: 22 TRACK (SEECD94)

Attached Files:

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It was released in December of 1989. So it's on the border.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

23. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

To add to that, "Listen To Me" barely reached even the "Bubbling Under The Hot 100" chart here in the U.S. (#129). It was the last recorded Hollies single with Graham Nash before he left for CS&N.

"Do The Best You Can" wasn't an A-side in the UK: It was the B-side of "Listen To Me" over there.

24. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Thanks so much, Steve.
    Just out of curiousity, how does "Long Cool Woman" sound on this one??

25. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

No CD release of this live Hollies album, but I've had it on LP forever. A fun album that I really like.

Recorded during their 1976 tour. Also can be picked up for cheap and yes it does sound very good IMO.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.